Possessed DVD Drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possessed DVD Drive

My DVD drive has been possessed for the last year or so. I use it very rarely but when I do it goes mad.

1. I click eject to open the drive, it ejects, goes back in straight away, click eject again and it stays open.
    2. Put in a disc and install etc
    3. Remove, click the button to shut.

Drive will pop in and out for the next one to three days at random intervals, quite funny to watch but very annoying.

This has happened with two different drives, I've stripped my machine down several times over the last year or so, gone from Win2k -> WinXP and it still goes mad. I've tried different IDE, power cables everything.

Anyone got any suggestions.

Bring in a priest to do an exorcism

Or I would toss it in the garbage and buy another one! Make sure you burn it just in case

Comment

Comment

Have you tried the drive on a known good PC?

Hey look, a non-post whore post!
        Titanium is the new bling!
        (you heard from me first!)

Comment

stop getting sticky stuff on the eject button
          We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

It's usually the first sign of it being time to Upgrade to a new DVD drive
            If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Is/are the drive(s) on the IDE channel specifically jumperd for master and slave as appropriate? I have see many strange results if you rely on the cable select (CS) jumper setting.
              Home Brewer the Quintessential Alchemist!

Comment

Working...
              X