Ten Years Since The Srebrenica Massacre

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ten Years Since The Srebrenica Massacre

Monday, July 11, 2005 marks the tenth anniversary of the beginning of the biggest massacre in Europe following World War II. On that day, Serbs began a liquidation of several thousand Bosnian men and boys from the world's first United Nations Safe Area - Srebrenica. An exact number of those executed will probably never be known, however, it has been proven that in Potocari, more than 3000 residents of Srebrenica lost their lives; the total number of victims is likely three times that figure.

The Srebrenica enclave was a UN protected zone. After being granted permission from international troops, the civilian population caught in the town was evacuated in the direction of Tuzla. But although the commander of Serbian Army, General Ratko Mladic, with his military honor, guaranteed the security of all those evacuated, members of his army separated all men over the age of 15 and, without trial, sentenced them to death by execution. In the eyes of the law, the massacre in Srebrenica is considered an act of genocide. It shamed the entire Serb people, but also the international troops responsible for the safety of the population within the safe haven. To date, only second-rate perpetrators have been sent to the Hague to answer for this crime. Karadzic and Mladic are still not within the range of justice. Never Forget the Muslim Holocaust in Bosnia or any Holocaust.

Thanks for reading this.

Hmm damn Almost 10 years since I've been to Bosina as part IFOR enforcing Dayton Peace Accord.

Time flies....
    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Originally posted by GT98
      Hmm damn Almost 10 years since I've been to Bosina as part IFOR enforcing Dayton Peace Accord.

Time flies....
      Hi GT98

Where you have been exactly in Bosnia?

And yes, time flies.

Comment

A friend of mine was in Kosovo. They nearly shot a UN staff member who was telling the Unit not to inter between a group of Muslims and Serbs killing each other. The UN bloke legged it when he realised he was going to go to heaven very shortly. The fight was stopped and lifes were saved.

They were also at another Village where the serbs were shelling Muslim Women and Children. The men had either fled or gone off fighting elsewhere. The offical orders were do not infer. They ignored the orders and got the Children and Women out.

I guess that something the extremists forget about. It also shows that the UN is a load of cobblers.
        Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Originally posted by Adis
          Hi GT98

Where you have been exactly in Bosnia?

And yes, time flies.
          I flew into Tulzsa January 2nd and we set up shop in Kladanj and Vlasnica
          Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

From the New York Times:
            “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Thank You all for your replies.

Comment

With Sadness and Anger, Bosnian Muslims Recall Executions
                At a somber ceremony under a gray sky that sprinkled rain on diplomats, mourners and graves, British and United Nations officials apologized for the failure of the international community to protect the town a decade ago. The British foreign secretary, Jack Straw, made the most direct statement, saying it was "a shame on the international community that this evil took place under our noses."
                P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

Not to sound insensitive, but ... some people died, yeah? Sucks.
                  The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                  If only life were as easy as you
                  I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                  I would still get screwed

Comment

You do sound insensitive. People did not die, people were murdered. Would you be in favor not to commemorate, say, 9/11 cause "some people died, yeah? Sucks"
                    Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
                    [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Originally posted by Umfriend
                      You do sound insensitive. People did not die, people were murdered. Would you be in favor not to commemorate, say, 9/11 cause "some people died, yeah? Sucks"
                      I'm saying that Adis got VERY upset (bouncing off the walls upset) that more of us didn't reply in here - specifically myself and Schmosef.

I have a very limited memory of this massacre, it wasn't on my radar 10 years ago. 10 years ago I was very VERY concerned with getting married and going on a honeymoon, and not very much else at all.

Should I feign some sympathy instead? I would rather have people say "hey yeah that was bad..." than pretend to be very sympathetic, if it were me.
                      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
                        I'm saying that Adis got VERY upset (bouncing off the walls upset) that more of us didn't reply in here - specifically myself and Schmosef.
                        Oh. I had not noticed that this was causing him to get upset.
                        Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
                        [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Originally posted by Umfriend
                          Oh. I had not noticed that this was causing him to get upset.
                          It was in a different forum.

Comment

Working...
                          X