Capture Frame of Avi File

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Capture Frame of Avi File

I upload quite a few 3D animations onto my site, I always take a grab of the screen using PSP, as the preview.

[Very non technical explanation of issue below]
    NormallyI use PSP's capture function or sometimes just the PrintScreen key, works most of the time, lately I have been having issues though, I'll paste the image into PSP and it'll look like everything is ok but if you move the image in PSP I can see that all it is doing is showing the avi through image, like the image has a whole in it and I can see the actual avi though it.

How can I capture a frame without this issue?

If you don't have any other software to do it for you. Try to switch the Windows Media Player to Software mode (by pulling the video acceleration all the way to the left in the options/performance tab). This will force the video to be done by software, and make it grab-able by PrintScrn.

J1NG

Comment

It works.

Cheers J1NG.

Comment

No problem.

J1NG

Comment

ffdshow has a rather comprehensive frame grab feature: it can grab the current frame, frame x, every x frames, and every x frames between y and z. It'll save 'em as jpg, bmp, or png.

Comment

You can also use ImageMagock to extract a single frame, and save it in just about any image format (and also crop, rotate, adjust, watermark, etc).

You basically just load the avi, and use a bracketed subscript for the frame number you want: AviFile.avi[27].

- Steve

Comment

uhm ... http://virtualdub.org/

vdub let's you export single frames and sequences in either TGA or BMP format

or am I missing something obvious, that you are going the screen capture route ?

whe you said, you could see the avi through parts of the captured frame, is that avi still running in the background ?

if so, the "transparent" part of that picture is most likely using the exact RGB values, that you gfx card uses for video overlay, so it looks as if there's a hole in your picture, but in fact it's just showing one solid color
              Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
              Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
              be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
              4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
              2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
              OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
              4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
              Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
              Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
              LG BH10LS38
              LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

Yes, the 'hole' only appears when the image in PSP is directly over the playing movie. If you move the picture around in PSP and move it too far you can't see through. It's more like mplayer is buring a hole in the apps above it.

Cheers for all the suggestions but for what I need (single frame for thumbnail purposes on my site) reducing the peformance tab as suggested by J1NG works a treat.

Comment

VLC Media Player lets you change video output overlay which will allow you to do a print screen.
                  Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
                  Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

And if you have any kind of video editing software they almost always include a frame export function.

Dr. Mordrid
                    Dr. Mordrid
                    ----------------------------
                    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
                    X