Fantastic
    0%
    Good, but needs a few tweaks
    0%
    Don't like it
    0%

The poll is expired.

Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

I have to admit that although it's nice, and obviously the result of a lot of work, I don't really like it. But that's probably because I was so used to the old look. It was like stepping into a warm and fuzzy pair of slipper before. Now it feels like I've got these fancy new keds and have to work them in before I can take them on a long hike.

I'm sure I'll get used to it.
    P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

actually the functions etc, are stock vb3.
      putting it simply, it would probably be harder to try to get the old style back.

I think the pro's outway the con's, and there is more tweaking yet to do. I need to see how some functions go.
      Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

I think it is only different. If I had to make a choice, it would be a coin toss. Both are very functional and I like them both.

If there is one facet different about the new style is it is more busy and might less user friendly for a new person who joins. I don't have an issue with the busier nature of the new style. Maybe it is just the larger font for some display items that make it seem that way. Needing to click the "quick reply" button to do that and having pull-down menus for functions and appearance are examples of greater complexity.
        Last edited by Brian R.; 4 March 2005, 21:43.

Comment

It'll take some getting used to, but I think I'm probably gonna like it. Too soon to tell right now...
          Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

I know the thing I immediately missed is how compact a forum page could be. It's like the threat topics are double-spaced now.
            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Full marks for functionality.

1/10 for appearance because of the ENORMOUS font size and the resultant waste of desktop space, requiring much more scrolling.

IMHO, this needs serious attention.
              Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Specifically which fonts Brian? locations...
                I am tweaking as we go, and I will look at getting some replacement icons for the main forum page, the wasted space will stay regardless of the font size with those huge forum icons.
                Juu nin to iro

Comment

Looks great, but the font for the user names seems too big to me...or at least it should be bold or smthn.
                  All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

Comment

Looks great - does need a bit of getting used to, but I'm happy with it
                    Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Looks good so far but most things just take to much space now, much more scrolling like Brian said.
                      Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
                      Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
                      Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

Originally posted by Sasq
                        Specifically which fonts Brian? locations...
                        I am tweaking as we go, and I will look at getting some replacement icons for the main forum page, the wasted space will stay regardless of the font size with those huge forum icons.
                        OK, I attach two jpgs (readability poor becoz highly compressed) with annotations describing the problems.
                        Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

as you may have noticed, I have been working on font size since you grabbed those images.

the posts themselves will need to wait on Jesse, my html is not good enough - I am more back end...
                          I seem to be lacking the ability to do alt colors in posts, so we need to rework the whole postbit to make some sort of border - please be patient, the people who wrote the system are SE's not Visual designers, so its logical, but not in a visual way.

Working on Icon size for front page and forums now. - Not overly happy with it myself.
                          Juu nin to iro

Comment

just bold the user names now

Comment

Generally happy, but a couple of quick moans (well, it is monday morning )

1) Extra click required for a quick reply
                              2) All the icons seem a little too colourful for my liking
                              3) Everything is a bit too big and spaced out as per Brian's comments
                              4) I always base my reading of MURC off the "new posts" page - I suppose it will take a little getting used to, but the icons denoting read/unread threads and threads which I have posted in don't seem as clear and compact in getting their meaning across

Otherwise, will have to spend a bit of time exploring to see what's available and what's new...

And Dan and Jesse are my heroes for doing all of this work anyway

George
                              DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Working...
                              X