• Show
Clear All

• Quick ghost question

I have a friend who has an 80G hard disk that's partitioned so:

Windows drive = 5G
    Programs Drive = 30G
    Data Drive = 45G

She has a new drive (120G or so).

I've already ghosted the Windows and Program drives. She wants the Windows and Programs drives to be copied over to the new disk, except with larger partition sizes.

Can I just make partitions on the new disk at say....10/35/75 and restore the images onto those drives one by one? That way she has more free space per drive.

yes, no problem with ghost, as long as the destination disk/partition is equal or bigger than the source.

breezer
    Everything I say is true apart from that which is not

Comment

Yeah. Don't forget that if you're moving to a new disk, and only doing partition-by-partition ghosts, then you still need to install XP or something on the disk first, or you won't have a valid boot sector.
      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Oh really? So maybe I should do the whole hard disk?

Comment

I'd do the whole thing and then use Partition Magic or something.
          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

CasperXP can take the whole disk over, and at the time of creation, asks you how you want to distribute the relative sizes of the 3 partitions on the new disk.
            Lawrence

Comment

Yeah. Don't forget that if you're moving to a new disk, and only doing partition-by-partition ghosts, then you still need to install XP or something on the disk first, or you won't have a valid boot sector.
              I have Fat32 system drive and I was able to Ghost and restore my Win XP Pro with a Win98SE boot floppy disk and a GHOST.EXE on the secondary phisical HD.
              Changing the HD size, I was forced to run SCANDISK to repair the HD free space after the Ghost restoration.
              I think it fixed the boot sector too.

Fred
              It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings...
              ------------------------------------------------

Comment

Working...
              X