• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Half Life 2 ... in Surround.

Half Life 2 ... in Surround.

I am, using the DX9 beta drivers.

From the Video settings menu just select ... Widescreen 16:9
    Then select a Surround resolution ... I found 2400x600 to work best.

There are a few problems ...
    First ... one is as the game starts the intro video is too big and so you can't see it properly.
    Second ... I think because of some of the effects used in the into video you get some strange black graphical errors during the first stage of the game.
    They seem to go away if you just keep playing.
    Third ... If you press F5 for a screen shot the game will lock up.
    Fourth ... If you try to change the video settings after you have started a game the game locks up or junks out.

All of this info also applies to single head.

Oh ... and I found I had to turn the Gamma up all the way to get it to be bright enough.

Enjoy ...

Some screenshots ...

The black graphical errors at the start.
    My Systems :
    Athlon 64 FX-55, 580W-Tagan SLi, Asus A8N SLi Deluxe, 2 x 74Gb WD Raptor 10K RPM RAID, 2 GB Corsair TwinX-XL, 2 x 512Mb PCI-E GF7800GTX SLI, SB Audigy2, Dell 2405FPW.

P4 3.2GHz - ABIT IC7-G – Matrox Parhelia 128 8x AGP - 2GB 3200 DDR
    480W Whisper Quiet PS - 2 x 160 GB HD - 3 x 19” Viewsonic TFT’s 3840x1024
    Surround Gaming - The way it's meant to be played

So what's performance like on the Parhelia (in single-head)?
    DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

I don't know what the FPS are but it seems smooth at 1280x1024 and all the advanced settings set at the default.
      Which happen to be quite high ....

It also runs smooth at 2400x600 with those same advanced settings.
      My Systems :
      Athlon 64 FX-55, 580W-Tagan SLi, Asus A8N SLi Deluxe, 2 x 74Gb WD Raptor 10K RPM RAID, 2 GB Corsair TwinX-XL, 2 x 512Mb PCI-E GF7800GTX SLI, SB Audigy2, Dell 2405FPW.

Comment

I haven't got as far as having a HUD yet so may be it will all go horribly wrong at that point ... ... may be not ... we shall see.

There is a setting to have a crosshair HUD ... I shall see what it is like real soon ...

EDIT : ... Sorry I forgot ...
        There isn't a Multiplayer option in the game ... BUT there is a "Friends" option.
        You need to sign in to link to your friends ... may be then you can play co-op with them ... I can't tell you any more than that as I don't have any friends to link up with ... ... they are at work or at collage.

EDIT #2 ... Now that I have a weapon I can confirm that the HUD is OK ... and as far as I can see the Crosshair HUD just adds some graphical info to your crosshair.

Also ... I'm still getting some graphical errors ... black bits appearing and disappearing ... so ... over on the Matrox forum Enak has suggested the latest NON DX9 Drivers ... I'll give em a go.

EDIT #3 ... OK .. I just tried the latest NON DX drivers as recommended by Enak ... and as he suggested ... all the problems have gone... and no annoying black graphical errors.
        Thanks Enak ! ...
        Last edited by Paddy the wak; 16 November 2004, 07:02.
        My Systems :

Comment

On my P128.....

...I'm only able to do surround here @ 3840 x 1024. At any other resolution I get big wide vertical black lines. Their position and quantity depends on the resolution. So I'm stuck at the highest resolution if I want to play in surround. In which case I have to turn down the graphical settings. Oh well
          The only other problem is the lack of a crosshair for some reason. I'm getting my a$$ whooped, on easy, cause I don't know exactly where to aim.

In the next day or 2 I'll put it on my video system and see how it plays with the p750 on my LCD TV at 1280 x 768
          Last edited by SitFlyer; 16 November 2004, 23:34.

Comment

To get the crosshair you have to change the resolution to 800x600 enter the game ... then go to video options and change it back to your Surround resolution ....

Re: the black blocks ... are you using the latest drivers ... 2kxp_107_01_whql.exe ... they fixed the problem for me.

Hope this helps ... Paddywak
            My Systems :

Comment

I'll try the crosshair fix. I am using those drivers.

Comment

I've tried to get the game to work on my LCD TV connected to a P750, using the latest drivers, but, get a similar error as Painkiller posted in the matrox forum
                The instruction at "0x241f8977" referenced memory at "0x0113f5c0". The memory could not be "read".
                My 2 part error:
                failed to lock vertex buffer in CMeshDX8::LockVertexBuffer

The instruction at "0x241f8977" referenced memory ae "0x0217f5c0"". The memory could not be "read".

Thanks to Matrox's limited hours, could someone pass along this problem.
                P750 using latest drivers.

More info:
                2 Display, independent mode
                1- 1280 x 1024
                2 - 1280x 768 (Viewsonic N3000W LCD TV)

Only crashes with error if I set display #2 as primary display
                Last edited by SitFlyer; 17 November 2004, 03:10.

Comment

I'll try swapping heads in the morning (after I go to bed and wake up again) to see if that fixes it.

Comment

Nice to read it's working pretty good.
                    I think I'll buy the game, looks promising and should be more fun than Doom3.
                    cu/2 magog - Germany - flying with OS/2 Warp speed...in a vehicle named eComStation (eCS)
                    ---
                    Author of the Java Movie Database - http://www.jmdb.de
                    JMDB v1.35 FINAL is available (2007-09-20)
                    Homepage: http://www.juergen-ulbts.de/

Comment

Putting the TV on the primary DVI did the trick. It runs & looks good

Comment

Wow, looks stunning

I am sure if I had 1000 EUR to invest in hardware, I'd invest 50 of that into this game

AZ
                        There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

A little update to my P750 LCD-TV issues. The game ran fine till a certain point (relatively early in the game, at the initial transport) in widescreen & then crashed relentlessy after that. The max resolution it would run on to get passed that point was 1024x768 and it almost crashed during Gordon's transport malfunction. We'll see how it goes.

Comment

The expierence in my previous post really annoyed me. So I did something bad.
                            I have a newer Parhelia on the way to replace my original, which will replace my P750, wihich will replace my G400MAX. Talk about hand me downs.

edit: NO, THE G400MAX IS NOT FOR SALE
                            Last edited by SitFlyer; 30 November 2004, 05:16.

Comment

Does the game run in DX9 or DX8 Mode?
                              Or does it depend on the drivers i use?

Here is some Info (image Quality) of the to versions of HL2:
                              Matrox rox, S3 sucks!
                              Attention:
                              I am watching you!

Comment

Working...
                              X