Men extinct?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Men extinct?

Better live it up guys, our days are numbered.

Men will be extinct due to Y-chromosome damage (August 19, 2003)

Y-chromosome is the genetic material that men have and women do not. Apparently, it cannot repair itself and so accumulates damage from generation to generation. Professor Bryan Sykes of Oxford University predicts that this accumulated damage will, in about 125,000 years, lead to the extinction of men. Women will be able to reproduce with in vitro fertilization. Ouch!

From NewsAU (Y bother: men are doomed after all, August 18, 2003):

MEN are doomed to extinction, victims of the decaying human Y-chromosome, the only piece of DNA men possess and women do not.
    So says Bryan Sykes, professor of human genetics at Oxford University, in a book that envisages the "Sapphic reproduction" of women by genetic manipulation.

A "genetic ruin littered with molecular damage", the Y-chromosome cannot repair itself, nor arrest the steadily accumulating damage, he reports in Adam's Curse.

"Like the face of the moon, still pitted by all the craters from all the meteors that have ever fallen onto its surface, Y-chromosomes cannot heal their own scars. It is a dying chromosome and one day it will become extinct."

The decline of the Y-chromosome has been well chronicled. What is new is Professor Sykes's description of the implications and the stark choices for the human race.

He says that because the chromosome's main function is switching on male embryos in the womb, its demise means the final curtain for men.

By his estimate, the male will go belly-up in about 125,000 years.

But he cautions ultra-feminists against rejoicing too soon.

"Destroying the male sex would be a very short-lived victory. Men are still required for breeding, if nothing else."

But not for much longer, if Professor Sykes's radical solution is adopted - abandon men altogether.

"From the genetic point of view, very little stands in its way," he says.

His strategy for perpetuating a new female race depends on tweaking the proven technique of injecting sperm into eggs. Instead, the nucleus from a second egg would be injected.

The only difference from any other birth would be that the baby would always be a girl. "The entire process has been accomplished without sperm, without Y-chromosomes and without men," Professor Sykes says.

The girls would not be clones, but would comprise the same mixture of their parents' genes, shuffled by recombination, as today's children. But there would be one major difference: both parents would be women.

It is almost bound to happen, says the professor, who can find no moral objection. "Men are now on notice," he says.

However, Professor Sykes does not speculate on what would pass for sex once men disappear.
    --Insert something here--

Re: Men extinct?

Originally posted by Ajax
    Better live it up guys, our days are numbered.

I knew I had an excuse to live it up!

However, Professor Sykes does not speculate on what would pass for sex once men disappear.
    ROTFL! I would not mind seeing that!
    "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

I bet battery sales would go way up! *checks Duracell stock*

Comment

I beleive I still may have a few good ones left.
        Women may email me for free samples.
        I will have to visit you personally.
        Also, pls provide pictures as I can't just give them out to just anybody.

Please note: I will only supply the 'building materials' for said chromosones.
        Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Women CANNOT live without ZokesPro, nuff said.

Edit: The last few guys left are gonna have SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much fun, if you know what I mean!
          Last edited by ZokesPro; 2 September 2003, 11:34.
          Titanium is the new bling!
          (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Either that or the hole Human race dies out before the guys die. Now THAT would be a bummer for the remaining guys...

J1NG

Comment

This is the biggest crock of BS I've ever seen...

Comment

Lol.

Good one.
                As if 120k years would even SHOW on a genetic map of the "sexes" scale..

~~DukeP~~

Comment

Originally posted by KvHagedorn
                  This is the biggest crock of BS I've ever seen...
                  Even if this were true, there still wouldn't be any humans left to confirm it. Our race is in such a decline that I forsee our demise in WAY less than 125K years.

Comment

I'm with Zokes. Look at all the damage, death, and destruction we've caused in only a few thousand years. If we make it to 125K, it would be a miracle. Personally, I hope some mega-virus kills us all (if we MUST go). I like the idea of momma nature kicking our egotistical asses.
                    Bart

Comment

Originally posted by The Rock
                      Personally, I hope some mega-virus kills us all (if we MUST go). I like the idea of momma nature kicking our egotistical asses.
                      Nah, I'd rather just have a comet slam me to sub-atomic particles.
                      quick and painless - and one hell of a sight just before I died.
                      Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

If you could freeze yourself for the next 125k + years, you might wake up with a huge... smile on your face.

Comment

Originally posted by Ajax
                          If you could freeze yourself for the next 125k + years, you might wake up with a huge... smile on your face.
                          You wake up and your like "Woohoo I made to 125K!!" next thing you know there's only the FOOglies left, hehe.

Level of ugliness:[list=1][*]Ugly: Nasty looking but not enough to make you puke.[*]Fugly: Hella nasty, no man's land! (about to puke) [*]OOgly: My dinner is now on the floor and my eyes are literally burning.[*]FOOgly: **** Off Fugly! Medusa style chicks, a mear gaze causes the penis to fall off and shrivel into nothingness. [/list=1]

Comment

LOL@ Ajax.

Assuming if we have 125K left, I also assume we have the technology to solve this problem

But maybe 125K years later human has already been evloved or something...

Comment

I actually give us around 50k rather than 125k, but that's another story...

J1NG

Comment

Working...
                              X