• Problem with Video Overlay? and XP 16 bit color works fine 32 bit does not

athlon 800
    asus k7v
    256 sdram
    Matrox G400 Marvel
    WinXP SP1
    Via 4in1 4.43
    Adis driver and VT 3.02

Hello group. This is my first time posting a problem but I have found much help over the years in these forums. For that I thank you.
    My problem is this. I have just re-installed winxp plus service pack 1 and updates. Thanks to adis I now have working VT under XP however as you can see by the attached jpeg I am having some difficulty using video conf software with 32 bit color desktop resolution. 16 bit(bottom) is fine but 32 bit(top) looks like major snowstorm. I want to use 32 bit so the divx 5 codec can be used to capture. Plus 32 bit is so much nicer on the eyes.
    I remember I had the exact same problem when I first installed XP about a year ago and I did resolve the problem,, can't remember wtf I did though??!!
    In my lay point of view it seems to be an overlay problem but how to fix?
    I appreciate any input.
    Regards,
    Tim
    Attached Files

I should maybe clarify my problem. The corrupt (for lack of a better description) live video with the 32 bit color desktop is the PREVIEW of my line in composite video as per the vid chat app, in this case eyeball chat. I get the same "preview" with dwyco, and I can't try netmeeting since I own a Marvel G400

I know that I had previously overcome this problem the last time I did a fresh xp install but it was a long time ago and I have smoked too much since then

I have been able to capture fine with VD 1.54 with desktop palette at 32 bit and within VD I can see my composite video in perfectly. Have captured with divx 5.03 codec so everything seems to be working fine except for my preview video when using vid conf software.

I installed DirectX 9b but didn't make any diff.
    Could this perhaps be a codec problem? Either a conflict or less likely, a missing codec?

Also when I use virtual dub to make changes to the matrox vid cap driver are those changes permanent. Like do all apps that call that driver see those new changes or is there a default setting that the cap driver reverts to? If so, how do I best modify them.

In some programs, like Eyeball chat for instance, when I open the settings for the matrox vid cap driver I can only change the input. Not the format or other video settings. Where would this program find the driver's format and color depth?
    Sorry to ask what are possibly "dumb" questions, but I am pretty "green" when it comes to the technical workings of video cap drivers.

Please help still...

Comment

Well, donno much about this specific problem, (thought i have a G400 Marvel + XP too ), but i remeber that some drivers had some problems with overlay. Be sure that you have the last verision, because overlay is clearly related with drivers and not VT.
      However, you said that the problem is with the PREVIEW. Preview, i think is not using video overlay, as it supposed to show how the captured image should look. I am wrong anyone ?
      1 x PIII 866Mhz on Acorp 6A815EPD, 512 MB SDRAM, 30 GB Samsung Spinpoint + 80 GB WD Caviar SE, Matrox G400 Marvel, Samsung Syncmaster 755dfx, Phillips PSC706 Acoustic Edge 1.89 drivers,
      WinXP SP1, Drivers: 5.88, VT 2.02.

Comment

How did you capture those images? Overlay windows are usually show up as solid squares without their content in printscreen like captures.

Comment

Well, thanks for your replies but yesterday I decided to re-install XP and 98 as dual boot. I spent about 2 days searching the web for someone else who had the same problem. My eyes are buggy from reading computer screen for so long.
          I have not yet installed the 5.82 driver and 3.02 video tools in XP.
          I can cap with the generic driver that XP has but with practically no options for format or compression. I think it defaults to yuv2 at 320x240 uncompressed. I can not change this.
          Damn I thought I was done with win98..lol.

As to how I capped my desktop with my original post was with a proggy called snagit. A screen capture utility. I don't know if my problem was for sure overlay...I was just guessing.
          Well I am going to try adis solution once again now that I have a completely new install of my OS and see what happens.
          Thanks again for your replies

Comment

Hi kropotkin. I don't mean the "preveiw" setting for the driver, I meant the preview video window of the conf. proggy.
            When I captured in Virtual dub the video appeared fine until I played back what I captured, then I would see the output as the same as the 32-bit example in my first post.
            I'm afraid I don't know enough about capturing, drivers and functions.
            Thanks for your reponse.

Tim

Comment

Hmm, pretty strange.
              You captured YUV at 320x240 and you got the same result? I mean the left image from your example?
              Are you sure you didn't used any codecs? A few are already available with the op sys.
              Anyway, if you want a little safer alternative, i would suggest capturing with avi_io and a software mjpeg codec, picvideo or morgan (picvideo is better).
              1 x PIII 866Mhz on Acorp 6A815EPD, 512 MB SDRAM, 30 GB Samsung Spinpoint + 80 GB WD Caviar SE, Matrox G400 Marvel, Samsung Syncmaster 755dfx, Phillips PSC706 Acoustic Edge 1.89 drivers,
              WinXP SP1, Drivers: 5.88, VT 2.02.

Comment

Working...
              X