RIAA answers some very specific questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIAA answers some very specific questions

Good read. Here is the question I felt most people would want to see, but there are other great questions regarding pretty much everything.

A. Bob McElrath from Madison, Wis. asks:

Imagine two people are locked in two different rooms. Each has access to a computer with Internet access and radio with tape recorder. Neither person has ever purchased a CD, cassette, etc. After an hour you open the doors and both are listening to the same song. One recorded it off the radio, the other downloaded it off the Internet. Why is one permitted while the other (the Internet recording) is considered theft and criminal?

Lawrence Lessig responds.
    Matt Oppenheim responds.

B. Derek Fox from Pasadena, Calif. asks:

If I own a music CD, is it legal for me to download the digitally compressed music for that CD (exact same version) via a peer-to-peer music service? What about downloading I track I already own from a P2P service to transfer it to an MP3 format? If not, isn't this a violation of my fair use rights as a consumer?

Is it legal for me to make and distribute (not for personal profit), to my friends and non-commercially, "mix CDs" that contain compilations of music from my personal collection? If not, please reconcile explicitly with the language of the Audio Home Recording Act of 1992.

Matt Oppenheim responds.

C. Doug Dingus from Portland, Ore. asks:

What are we buying when we buy entertainment media? Is it a license to view/listen to the product, or is it just a copy of the title that we have limited rights to? That is, do we own the license to view/listen to the content in any format -- or when we buy a CD, are we just purchasing the format of the content?

Matt Oppenheim responds.

D. An anonymous viewer asks:

I own "John Denver's Greatest Hits Volume 2" on 8 track. Now, do I own a copy of the song for personal use, or do I just own the physical cartridge and have no rights to copy the song to another format (like a cassette, to listen to from my cassette player, or a CD or MP3.)

But recently, I heard the RIAA is trying to make this practice illegal. To me this seems unreasonable since I already bought a copy of John Denver's Greatest Hits, and would like to listen to it on my cassette player, and especially since the 8-track player is becoming obsolete.

The concept of making a copy for personal use of material I already bought isn't a criminal act or a violation of copyrights. The store was paid its money, took its share, the recording company got paid, John Denver got paid. I'm not stealing because they already sold me a copy.

My own 8-track deck is not going to last much longer, but I still want to listen to these songs. Is this illegal, and, if so, isn't this a violation of my consumers' fair use rights?

Lawrence Lessig responds below.
    Matt Oppenheim responds.

Lawrence Lessig from Stanford Law School responds to the four questions:

In my view, any sensible copyright regime would permit individuals the right to make as many personal copies of content they have purchased as they like. If they start giving those copies away in a significant way, then the rule may well be different. But copyright law should stand for the value of facilitating the easy spread and use of copyrighted content that someone has paid to access.

Matt Oppenheim from the Recording Industry Association of America responds:

(A) [Why is it legal to record a song from the radio while recording a song from the Internet is considered theft and criminal?]

Way back in 1992, Congress drew a distinction between analog recording (on that tape recorder) and digital recording (the computer). In legislation enacted that year, they said that infringement actions cannot be filed against consumers who engage in copying using analog devices and certain types of digital devices on which royalties have been paid and which protect against serial copying of the copy.

But regular copyright principles apply to any other form of copying. Thus, downloading a song from the Internet without the permission of the copyright owner is infringement and clearly illegal -- and a large number of courts have so held.

Let's face it -- taping off the radio is time-consuming and quality is lousy. On the Internet however, it is extremely easy to download and the audio quality is near CD. Millions of people now mistakenly believe it is legal. The RIAA, among others, has been trying to educate people that downloading recordings from unauthorized services on the Internet is, in fact, illegal.

(B) [If I own a music CD, is it legal for me to download the digitally compressed music for that CD (exact same version) via a peer-to-peer music service?]

As a technical matter, it is illegal to download a recording from another that is not yours. As a practical matter, there is no reason to do it. It is easier these days to rip a recording from a CD than to download it. And, when you rip the CD, you do not open up your computer to all of the spyware and other viruses that are part and parcel of most illegal P2P services.

No, [it is not legal to make and distribute (not for personal profit), to my friends and non-commercially, "mix CDs" that contain compilations of music from my personal collection?]

Individuals are not permitted to make copies of their copyrighted recordings and distribute them to others without permission from the copyright owner. Whether or not you do it for free or for profit is irrelevant; the impact on the copyright owner is the same, they do not have the ability to sell their artistic work to others because they have received an unauthorized free copy.

The Audio Home Recording Act permits individuals who are using special Digital Audio Recording Devices (such as Mini-Disc Players or Digital Audio Tape Recorders) to make limited copies for their "noncommercial" personal use. It does not permit individuals to make copies on other digital devices for distribution to friends or other people.

(C) [What are we buying when we buy entertainment media?]

When you buy a CD, you should feel free to consume the music. That means you should listen to that disc, and feel free to make a copy of that disc for your own use so that you can have a copy in your home and your office. You should feel free to copy it onto other formats, such as .mp3, so that you can listen to it on your computer. You should feel free to copy it to cassette.

The only time you run into problems is if you begin to distribute your copies to others.

(D) [Question from the owner and fan of a John Denver eight-track]

Everything you described sounds fine to me. You should enjoy your John Denver 8 Track, and feel free to copy it to other media.

The only issue would be if you decided you wanted to download somebody else's copy of John Denver's Greatest Hits (which was likely from a CD, and a much higher audio quality).

Just as you would not go into a video store and steal a DVD copy of Star Wars and claim that you should be permitted to do that because you own the VHS version, you cannot download somebody else's copy of a recording.
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

And that's all bullshit...

They're trying to skirt the issue of whether you bought "the music" or not.

They're TRYING to claim that you don't own the music - you own the right to listen to a specific copy of that song at a specific level of fidelity which is limited to your original purchase.

They are, however, VERY WRONG because you do own that music, without limitations - except that you can't sell it.

- Gurm
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    If only life were as easy as you
    I would still get screwed

Comment

Right or wrong, I refuse to buy music CDs until they lower the price. I still remember way back when CDs first came out; everyone was AGHAST over the high price!! We were placated with the lie that "its expensive because its a new medium", bla bla bla. We were told that prices would fall when CDs became the norm. Now we know this is BULLshit. The only CDs I see on sale are the "20 most popular", which is shit I would never listen to. The latest CDs that I'm interested in are STILL over $20 a pop, usually $24.99 or $29.99, and I'll eat shit covered live insects before I pay that for ONE disc.

They want people to buy CDs, the answer is simple: CUT THE PRICE!! ON ALL DISCS!! Cassettes used to be TEN BUCKS! THAT I would pay.
      Bart

Comment

what he said
        Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

@ Rock:

You're overlooking the fact that most of what passes for "music" these days is crap.

One of the prime reasons CD sales are slumping.

Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
            And that's all bullshit...

They're trying to skirt the issue of whether you bought "the music" or not.

They're TRYING to claim that you don't own the music - you own the right to listen to a specific copy of that song at a specific level of fidelity which is limited to your original purchase.

They are, however, VERY WRONG because you do own that music, without limitations - except that you can't sell it.

- Gurm
            hmmm, I didn't read that out of the questions at all. I read that you DO own the music and you can do whatever you want with it. The only exception being that you can't get the same sogn from somebody else just in case they have a better quality copy than you do.

Dave
            Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

The RIAA is wrong and could have this one come back in their faces on the "quality of recording" issue.

If you, as mentioned in the John Denver analogy were to have an 8 track tape of that album, there is no difference artistically (or in the eyes of the law) of the same album on a CD. No Difference: Same album, same copyright, same cover art, same master recordings. The only difference is the media, and that is not what the copyright covers...it covers the content, not the media. The RIAA has nothing to go on here.

The RIAA makes the ASSUMPTION that anybody can make MP3s from CD: Not True! You have to have software that generally costs money, to do this with. There is also the question of expertise.

The wording of the Home Recording act is also specific: Digital to Digital recordings. MP3s are digital, but they are not "purely" digital, there is some degradation in fidelity through the codecs.

Computers are exempted...even those that are built for audio recording.
              Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

IMO until the quality of the music goes up I'll only be buying at my current 1-3 CD's a year rate. This year it's been Norah Jones and Johnny Cash. One to go

Dr. Mordrid
                Dr. Mordrid
                ----------------------------
                An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

I basicly have the same thoughts on this issue as Rock

When I bought my first CD player the discs cost 140skr and I was told that "soon" they were suposed to be in the 70-90skr range.
                  Sadly the price nowdays is 160-220skr
                  often DVD's with a groups all videos are cheaper than their latest CD

(1$us= 7-8skr)
                  If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

What are you all talking about? CDs are really cheap - a couple of quid at most.

Down the local market, anyway.
                    DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

ARGHHHHHHHHHH!
                      I was at a cdshop and bought a gift cdticket and I was amazed by the prices: 28$
                      And when I told the clerc that he just replyed:
                      "Well, its becuase you and your pals burn so many cd's"
                      I almost strangled him on the spot!!!
                      The CD prices has always been going up even before the cd-burner was common
                      If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

what a wiener!

Comment

D. An anonymous viewer asks:

I own "John Denver's Greatest Hits Volume 2" on 8 track.
                          I would be anonymous too if I had that!
                          Way back in 1992, Congress drew a distinction between analog recording (on that tape recorder) and digital recording (the computer). In legislation enacted that year, they said that infringement actions cannot be filed against consumers who engage in copying using analog devices and certain types of digital devices on which royalties have been paid and which protect against serial copying of the copy.

But regular copyright principles apply to any other form of copying. Thus, downloading a song from the Internet without the permission of the copyright owner is infringement and clearly illegal -- and a large number of courts have so held.
                          uh ... technically, an MP3 version of the song is, by definition of compressed media, degraded in sound. Therefore the theory that analog is okay and MP3 is illegal is kind of ... uh ... a catch-22 in my opinion.

Jammrock
                          Last edited by Jammrock; 13 June 2003, 05:45.
                          “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                          –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

I beleieve the RI in RIAA stands for retarded idiots.
                            Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

What if an MP3 is ripped from a CD in analog fashion?

Comment

Working...
                              X