Digital Camera

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Digital Camera

Hey guys a mate of mine is thinking of buying a new digital camera...he's looking for something that just gets the basics done, takes picture, transfers to puter, bada bam, that's all really. What kind would you suggest he get for this? I'm not much into digital cameras, the one I have does me just fine so far, so...any suggestions?

~Sethos
    "...and in the next instant he was one of the deadest men that ever lived." – Mark Twain

Err sounds like how I started off and then you get the Camera bug. You'll get plenty of cheap 1.3 mega pixel camera's around. What will he'll be using the camera for???
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

he just wants to take pics of himself and friends and his room at college once he gets there, just normal camera stuff, just wants a digital instead of an SLR now...

~Sethos
      "...and in the next instant he was one of the deadest men that ever lived." – Mark Twain

Comment

Olympus C-120 which is 2.1 Mega pixel. £150 pounds over here dunno what they're charging in dollers. Finepix A204 2 mega pixel 3x optical zoom £143.
        Once he started though he probably want something better.
        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

How about the Canon A70?
          Reviewed at:
          Tech Talk - Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

IN-DEPTH review of the Canon Powershot A70 digital camera, with actual sample images, and a detailed data sheet.
          RC Agent
          AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Brisbane 2.6GHz, MSI 785GT-E63, 6 GB(2x1GB, 2x2GG) DDR2 800 Corsair XMS2, Asus EAH4850 TOP
          AMD Athlon 64 X2 7750 Kuma 2.7GHz, ASRock A790GXH/128M BIOS 1.7, 4 GB(2x2GB) DDR2 800 Corsair XMS2, Gigabyte HD 6850 1GB DDR5
          AMD Phenom II X6 1045T 2.7GHz, Asus M5A99FX Pro R2.0 BIOS 2501 , 8GB(2x4GB) DDR3 1866 CL9 Crucial BallisticX(BLT4G3D1869DT1TX0) , Sapphire HD7870 2GB GDDR5 OC, Seasonic 850w powers supply

Comment

Minolta Dimage F-200 if he's got the money. Small, easy to use, stylish, good quality, 4 mp, and manual controls to boot if he wants them later on.

Or, if he's got even more money and wants something that feels a little more analog or SLR-like (real manual zoom control, many controls through dedicated buttons instead of menus, manual focus ring if he doesn't want to use the AF), The Minolta Dimage 7i/Hi. While not cheap, they pack 5 mp, a 28-200 mm equiv. zoom, 3 fps serial mode, 7 (!!) fps ultra high speed serial mode (reduced resolution though), full auto and full manual and everything in between etc... I have one, and it's great (though I must admit it's overkill for my 1337 photographing skillz )

AZ
            There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Cannon a40? I would ahve bought one but It did not come out until after I bought mine.

Kodak has a nice range of cheap cameras..with resonable quality
              (quite happy with my dx3600)

I would get at LEAST 2 Megapixel

Comment

Make that at least 3. It's not much more expensive, but that much better.

AZ

Comment

Originally posted by Marshmallowman
                  Cannon a40? I would ahve bought one but It did not come out until after I bought mine.

Kodak has a nice range of cheap cameras..with resonable quality
                  (quite happy with my dx3600)

I would get at LEAST 2 Megapixel
                  My Kodak dx3215 was a well buggy peice of hardware. Battery level indicator always showed full. LCD display hardly ever worked. Flash you couldn't turn off.

I think 4M is a bit over the top just for one or two collage shots.
                  Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Still the a40 is said to be a damn fine camera, and very good value for money!

AZ

Comment

I agree az, only wish I waited just a bit longer to get one...

Bad luck there PIT, with my dx3600 the LCD is great very clear..and the preview is cool, also quite neat for taking small movies.

flash has several setting which, but auto usualy does the job... (auto,disable,fill,redeye redux and normal)

Thrashed for several months(long holiday) and it is still pumping along

It also has video/audio aout so you can show your phots movies on tv, and also use as a webcam(plugged into capture card)

Also got lense kit for it...macro 10,7 telephoto and wideangle...

can't complain

edit: to add: and 2x optical and zoom 3x digital(bleh)
                      Last edited by Marshmallowman; 14 May 2003, 05:10.

Comment

My Kodak dx3215 was a well buggy peice of hardware. Battery level indicator always showed full. LCD display hardly ever worked. Flash you couldn't turn off.

I think 4M is a bit over the top just for one or two collage shots.
                        Yeah that is a bit of bad luck I think, I've the same kind (or more correctly had ) and it worked quite well for me, I mean considdering what it was and all...

I'm really liking this a40 too, nice quality and not to bad a price for him, right size and functionality...Thanx a lot for the suggestions guys!! more always welcome too...

~Sethos

Comment

Should have seen my friend cursing when he was helping me do some close up photographs. The case when the LCD would have been very useful and of course it didn't work.
                          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
                          X