Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A little help with NTFS?

I'll admit it - I'm an idiot.

Tried to overclock my machine this morning - it's a 1.6 Northwood that used to run fine at 2.13GHz but started having trouble with Direct3D and so has been at stock for a while.

Instead of going slow I whacked it up to 2.13 again, which caused windows to seriously mess up my HD. After having repaired windows it will at least run up again, but it keeps complaining about not being able to write MFT files, and not being able to do delayed writes on various directories.

Can anyone recommend a decent NTFS HD diagnosis and cure application that will be able to solve this for me? Norton Disk Doctor is about as useful as a chocolate teapot and MS chkdsk is out of its depth

I've just got the new install as I want it and it would be annoying to have to reinstall again. And no, I haven't done a Ghost (because I'm a bad person)

Any suggestions?

Uberlad
    -------------------------
    8 out of 10 women say they would feel no qualms about hitting a man.
    5 out of 10 referred to me by name.

run chkdsk on it.. (you can make it run on next startup in windows by typing chkdsk /f /r on the command prompt I think).

Comment

Chkdsk claims to have fixed the errors. Windows still cannot write c:\$MFT and a bunch of other stuff. Chkdsk has failed.

I'm really looking for an application that is a bit cleverer really.

Surely someone has made one? Ideally with a handy-dandy demo version?

Uberlad

Comment

Uberlad, I have something that may help...PM me.
        Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

Thanks MultimediaMan - I await your response.

I have established that repairing the windows installation will allow me to connect to the net and the like but if I let chkdsk do its work then Windows is horribly broken again and will not even load a browser.

Argle.

Uberlad

Comment

that sounds BAD
            If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

And it isn't geting any better.

I can still just about log into Windows but Safe Mode has stopped working.

Bad bad bad.

Uberlad

Comment

solution: format c: /q
                Main Machine: Intel Q6600@3.33, Abit IP-35 E, 4 x Geil 2048MB PC2-6400-CL4, Asus Geforce 8800GTS 512MB@700/2100, 150GB WD Raptor, Highpoint RR2640, 3x Seagate LP 1.5TB (RAID5), NEC-3500 DVD+/-R(W), Antec SLK3700BQE case, BeQuiet! DarkPower Pro 530W

Comment

Yep - that's what I was reduced to.

Despite multimediamans best efforts I was unable to fix the file system and Ive had to pull off what I could (everythgin but the start menu and windows files).

I'm now reinstalling windows and may have to make myself a little space for a ghost of it once it's all working.

Maybe I'll even learn from my mistake.

Uberlad

Comment

I recommend Ontrack EZ Recovery Pro, but it isn't cheap.

- Gurm
                    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                    If only life were as easy as you
                    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                    If only life were as easy as you
                    I would still get screwed

Comment

I'm sure I could find a copy somewhere....

I've just realised that scrubbing the drive has lost me all my downloaded torrents (nothing too important) and also my last weeks email (details of the flights for my holiday this year ) .

I may see if they are still recoverable.

Monday morning isn't made any better by being tired, cold, and having spent all weekend with a busted computer

Uberlad

Comment

Working...
                      X