Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Matrox G400 32MB DH or G450 16 MB DDR DH??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matrox G400 32MB DH or G450 16 MB DDR DH??

Hello,
    I have the possibility to use either a Matrox G 400 32 MB Dualhead or a Matrox G450 16MB DDR Dualhead.

The card is used in a buisness PC, where no real 3D performance is needed (maybe 6 times a year a opengl/d3d game has to run).

Where are the differences between the two graphics cards in terms of usability, features, Dualhead, heat production, other and stability?
    Which card should I use?
    Matrox rox, S3 sucks!
    Attention:
    I am watching you!

Are you using DVI? If not the G400 is the better choice.
    no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

Both cards are AGP and Dualhead VGA (no DVI) because i am using 1 - 2 CRT monitors.

@thop: why is the G400 the better choice?
      Matrox rox, S3 sucks!
      Attention:
      I am watching you!

Comment

It is faster, has 32MB and supposedly better TV-Output.
        no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

If you want to run the second head at higher resolutions (like, greater than 1152x864) at a decent refresh rate, you'll have to go with the G450.
          Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

Comment

@ribbit:
            Is it because of the lower RAMDAC of the G400?
            How much has the G400 and the G450?
            Matrox rox, S3 sucks!
            Attention:
            I am watching you!

Comment

I'm not Ribbit, but... Yes. Secondary RAMDACs for G400 and G450 are 135 and 230 MHz, respectively. The 64-bit DDR memory used in the G450 makes the card slower than the G400 (which has 128-bit SDR memory).

More about the differences:

Comment

It's because the G400 has a dedicated Maven chip for the second head, while the G450 does a lot of that work in software. You could sort of say that on a G450 the second head is "more like the primary display."
                Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I thought the Maven was just a TV-out encoder/scaler?

Comment

Originally posted by Ribbit
                    If you want to run the second head at higher resolutions (like, greater than 1152x864) at a decent refresh rate, you'll have to go with the G450.
                    Actually, doing the maths, the 135MHz secondary RAMDAC on the G400 should be fast enough for about 1280x960@72Hz. If you want to do any better than that, you'll need the G450.

The 230MHz 2nd head on the G450 should be good for about 1600x1200@80Hz.

Comment

afaik, the Maven also contains the secondary ramdac.

Comment

The secondary display on my G400 MAX is no where near as clear as the secondary display on either my G450 or my G550.

Comment

yes, the secondary ramdac on the G450/G550 is integrated into the core, and much better than the one in the Maven

Comment

Working...
                          X