It's time to go fan shopping!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's time to go fan shopping!!

I have a Lian-Li case. Some of you may have seen it in a previous "Show your rig" thread.

All total (counting processor and all) I have 8 fans running in my box. It's not the quietest thing on the planet but I have kind of become accustomed to it and don't even really notice it any more.

That is, until recently! I have an 80mm fan in the back that started making a hellacious noise on occasions. It's usually right after my kid kicks the box or I bump into it with my chair. It sounds like the fan goes out of balance or something. The only way to quiet it down is to completely turn off my computer, let it stop, and start it up again. Today even that stopped working so now I just have it unplugged. (luckily case temp is staying around 32 degrees but in the summer it will not do to have that fan unplugged)

That brings me to my question. When you go to replace a case fan are there any that are better than others? I want it to be as efficient as possible but I think I might just replace them all with the quietest ones I can find.

So has anyone ever gone fan shopping with silence in mind?

(The artist formerly known as Kindness!)

Yup. I ended up choosing the Vantec Stealth line. Should cost you about $10/each for the 80mm.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Of course, your case is one of the biggest obstacles to silence. All those vent holes are turbulence city.
      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Panaflos are among the quietest fans on the market, with good airflow still. Highly reccomended.

Comment

If you can get them where you live, try these fans

dont have them myself, they are quite pricey, but they are supposed to be barely audible at all, and they always win all reviews. As soon as i have the money to spare i will get some myself

Comment

Just run some generic fan at 7V and you'll be fine :O (as a temporary solution).

Anyway, 32C is too high a case temp I think.
            P4 Northwood 1.8GHz@2.7GHz 1.65V Albatron PX845PEV Pro
            Running two Dell 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD
            And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

Comment

would be fun to see those fans in a bit bigger models
              If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Papst!

I have 4 Papst 8412NGML 80mm 26.5cfm 2050rpm 19dBA in my box. Reasonable soundlevels and good.

Comment

Papst 12dB
                  no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

Originally posted by thop
                    Papst 12dB
                    oh... that's not really 12db, at least not the one I have here.

mfg
                    wulfman
                    "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
                    "Lobsters?"
                    "Really? I didn't know they did that."
                    "Oh yes, red means help!"

Comment

Originally posted by Wulfman
                      oh... that's not really 12db, at least not the one I have here.

mfg
                      wulfman
                      I read a review somewhere saying that they actually are 20dB.
                      Anyway 20dB is very quiet. If you live in a big city and have windows open the "normal environment" noise level is over 20dB anyway.
                      And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

Comment

Originally posted by WyWyWyWy
                        I read a review somewhere saying that they actually are 20dB.
                        Anyway 20dB is very quiet. If you live in a big city and have windows open the "normal environment" noise level is over 20dB anyway.
                        nope. i tested mine in a flat in the centre of vienna. ok, it is facing the "backside" of the house (read: no windows to the road), but it was well audible - especially during the night.

the sound was different from "normal" fans, some kind of deep "flapping" (hard to describe) which seems to come from the motor.

heck, even the NONOI(r)se -fan (no typo, that's the name ) of a cheap 112W psu running at 7V is less noisy! (althought the airflow is lower, I'll have to do some crosschecking during the next days).

mfg
                        wulfman
                        "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
                        "Lobsters?"
                        "Really? I didn't know they did that."
                        "Oh yes, red means help!"

Comment

Thank you all for the suggestions. I will check out the brands mentioned and see what I come up with.

Originally posted by WyWyWyWy
                          Anyway, 32C is too high a case temp I think.
                          What is an average case temp?

Right now I am at:

Processor: 44°c
                          Case: 32°c

It usually doesn't vary much from there even when I am playing games or doing other processor intense things.

(The artist formerly known as Kindness!)

Comment

Me now cpu 39C mobo 25C.
                            But I dont have a case so dont compare with mine.

My friend has a PC-7 (which is about the same with PC-60 except mobo tray), and his case temp is about 28 constantly.

Is your PSU dual fan?

EDIT:
                            Or is yours a VIA chipset? It is hotter.

Comment

Originally posted by Wulfman
                              nope. i tested mine in a flat in the centre of vienna. ok, it is facing the "backside" of the house (read: no windows to the road), but it was well audible - especially during the night.

the sound was different from "normal" fans, some kind of deep "flapping" (hard to describe) which seems to come from the motor.

heck, even the NONOI(r)se -fan (no typo, that's the name ) of a cheap 112W psu running at 7V is less noisy! (althought the airflow is lower, I'll have to do some crosschecking during the next days).

mfg
                              wulfman
                              Yup, papst fans motors do produce a weird knocking sound
                              If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Working...
                              X