Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DSL Networking Connundrum

Folks,

I have a DSL connection - my modem is a router, and serves DHCP. My PC is set up to obtain an address automagically.

The guy next door ALSO has a DSL connection - same deal.

We ran a wire through the wall (yeah, we're geeks) to save us from burning cd's for each other all the time.

Now, here's the trouble.

If we plug into a switch, we will get DHCP conflicts... two DHCP servers on the same physical network is bad, isn't it?

I've got mine set up on address 192.168.42.254, and it's serving up IP's in the 192.168.42.x range.

His is set to serve up IP's in the 192.168.254.* range, and it's running on IP 192.168.254.254...

Is there any way to tell XP where to find the DHCP server? I'm not aware of one...

- Gurm
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

No, DHCP can't do that kind of deal, as far as I'm aware. With DHCP, the client has to be completely ignorant of the network. It says, "Hi, I'm 0.0.0.0 with MAC address blahblahblah. Please help."

Although, here's two ideas that might work:

1. Set your DHCP lease time really high. I've seen weeks, longer should be possible. Then, have his modem off when you re-lease your IP, and vice-versa. They shouldn't ask again for a long time.

2. DHCP servers can use MAC addresses to accept/deny machines. If each of your computers get denials from the other guy's machine, you should be all right.

Edit: I like idea #2 better, personally.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Put a second NIC in each computer, and just run a second independant peer-peer through a crossover cable/adapter.
      Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Yeah, we're tempted to do that Kruzin.

Wombat - I'd love it if these Speedstream 5667's had MAC address accept/deny, but they don't.

- Gurm
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

Do your IPs change? I've had the same IP for as long as I've had cable. DHCP is just handy when they expand the network.

Why not just set the NIC static?
          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

*sigh*

'Cuz the modem won't talk unless you've asked it for an IP.

See how much of a pain this is?

- Gurm

Comment

Wow, a strange beast you've got there. I'm reading about it now:

SpeedStream 5667 Port Forwarding problem - Efficient | DSLReports Forums, broadband news, information and community

It looks like maybe you can set it to "bridge mode."

Comment

Can you get the dhcp servers to give a certain ip address to a mac address,
                192.168.1.1 always to aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff
                192.168.1.2 to ff:ee:dd:cc:bb:aa
                etc ...

This way there will never be an ip/subnet issue on your net.

Is this legal? Your ISP may have something to say
                You are running on copper cables, I would check the electrical resistance of both properties, I wouldn't want one of you becoming earth. At work we are not allowed to run copper from buiding to building, only fibre as this is not a conductor.

Breezer
                Everything I say is true apart from that which is not

Comment

Originally posted by Kruzin
                  Put a second NIC in each computer, and just run a second independant peer-peer through a crossover cable/adapter.
                  or simply set up XP with a second IP (static) for the NIC.

Comment

Yeah, I decided to just put the linux box in the closet with 2 nics. It's easier that way. It can then be a gateway box.

- Gurm

P.S. It's the next apartment, not the next building. So no worries about ground. Plus this place is so poorly built that NOTHING is grounded.

P.P.S. I wish we could make the modems do DHCP to certain MACs but it's a feature that's suspiciously absent from the Speedstream 5667. Bleh.

Comment

There's an option in the Linksys router that lets you operate two routers on teh same network without having said conflicts. I haven't used a router in a while...but it's somewhere in the Advanced tab. The option basically blocks out DHCP requests to other routers, if I remember the description correctly...

I'd look it up, but Linksys.com seems to be down, at least here, right now.

Jammrock
                      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Working...
                      X