Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Safe to mount a G400MAX on a i845D chipset?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's where to find the resistor:

You can use a regular #2 pencil and bridged the two solder points, use a conductive pen, or a rear defrost repair kit to do the same if you wish not to solder.

Rags

Comment

Gee Matt, it almost looks like Matrox was prepared to ground that resistor all along. Why, it's as if they were working off of information that could change at any moment.
      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
        Gee Matt, it almost looks like Matrox was prepared to ground that resistor all along. Why, it's as if they were working off of information that could change at any moment.
        Ya think?

Comment

Originally posted by Greebe
          R68's location:
          Yeah, yeah, yeah.

Show off your nice camera, so I have an elcheapo....nice pic BTW.

Rags

Comment

another try (had to lighten it up a tad and adjust PSP gamma)
            Attached Files
            "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Tanks Rags, tanks Greebe.
              Images archived in order to eventually use them later..

Haig, I still waiting (with some other people) the Matrox final decision about this issue (tanks for your patience and for your support)

For a few time, I will not touch the graphics board (and, of course, I will not buy the new Asus P4 motherboard).

I will appreciate so much if Matrox itself can resolve this problem.

Maybe I will be successfull making hand-made modification to the board, maybe not.

Obviously you haven't asked us to made this modification.
              Also obviously, I won't make a modification breaking my warranty!

Anywhere, there are a great percentage of users that does not have enough skill to use a soldering unit or other similar things to make this modification, and the Matrox Millennium G400 MAX card is still a well appreciated one, so there must be a solutions for these people that have spent some bucks on it and love to have this Graphics board in place of a G-fart !

When Matrox will release the real new Millennium series, I surely will buy one of it, certainly remembering how good Matrox handled some strage startup problems on my old G400MAX....

If Matrox does not solve this, anywere, me and some other people can change the opinion about Matrox.

Onestly now my opinion about your company is good (my personal opinion about you Haig is better: Haig for president!), I am your customer since the times of the Matrox Mystique!

I understand that is costly to replace a lot of cards around the world, I will not ask this.

I only can say that one solution, that accomodate both Matrox and Users needs must be taken.

Waiting for the solution....
              <b><i><font size="+1">Zanna.</font></i></b>
              <p><b><font size="-2"><hr>Current Config: Asus P4C800 Deluxe / Intel Pentium 4c 3.2 Ghz - 800 Mhz Bus / Dual 512Mb DDR 400 Ram (1Gb) / Matrox Millennium G400Max /&nbsp;&nbsp;Sound Blaster Audigy 2 /&nbsp; Western Digital WD2500JB: 250 Gb-7.2Krpm-8MBcache! / Superfloppy LS120 /&nbsp;Yamaha CRW-F1e /&nbsp;LG&nbsp;52x CDROM /&nbsp;Dual Boot 98se / W2k</font></b></p>

Comment

Greetings Zanna,

We will not be doing a re-call nor any type of re-work on the 2x model of the G400 as we do not believe that we did anything wrong 3 years ago.

Some people will undoubtably say the contrary but none the less, our decision is final.

Regards

Haig

Comment

Zanna,
                  A good coating of graphite should do the trick on your G400. Use a wood pencil, with soft lead, for the best chance of success. It won't void your warranty: a little eraser, and it's all gone.
                  Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Is this safe? YES or NO?

After reading the whole thread here and at Matrox' Tech Support Forum, the final question:

I bought a P4B266-E yesterday, the red light is ON with my G400DH 32MB Rev.A and it will not power up.

Will shortening the R68 solder points with a pencil work or will it screw up my shiny new mainboard? Please answer YES or NO

Thx in advance!
                    main system: P4 Northwood 2.0 @ 2.5GHz, Asus P4PE (LAN + Audio onboard), 512MB Infineon PC333 CL2.5, Sapphire/BBA Radeon 9500@9700 128MB (hardmodded), IBM 100GB ATA-100, 17" Belinea (crappy), and some other toys...ADSL (1,5mbit/s down, 256kbit/s up...sweeeeeet!)

Comment

Dude. How many times do I have to say it? IT WILL WORK FINE!!!!!!!!

Rags

Comment

Thanks!!!

Thanks!

Sorry, didn't want to go you on the nerves! Was just a little confused...

Have a nice weekend!
                        main system: P4 Northwood 2.0 @ 2.5GHz, Asus P4PE (LAN + Audio onboard), 512MB Infineon PC333 CL2.5, Sapphire/BBA Radeon 9500@9700 128MB (hardmodded), IBM 100GB ATA-100, 17" Belinea (crappy), and some other toys...ADSL (1,5mbit/s down, 256kbit/s up...sweeeeeet!)

Comment

Didn't work...

Ok, here is what I did:

First tried it with a pencil, had no effect, the red light was still on.

Then I bridged the contacts with a very small piece of aluminium foil which I taped on the board. Red light was now off, and I could power up the system...BUT my monitor remained black, although the system was booting correctly (heard the windows startup sound). What the hell is going wrong here? Can't this G400 handle 1,5V? Anyone who had similar problems?

Any help would be highly appreciated, 'cause I hate this crappy Radeon VE which is in my rig at the moment...

Thx in advance,
                          Cartman

P.S.: Dear Matrox, please release your new allround 2D/3D/gaming/highend/whatever card!

Comment

Anybody?

Comment

Any success?

Hi MetalCartman (and to everyone...)....

I'm turned back to my old idea (about buyng a new M/B).
                              Originally I seen the new shining matrox Parhelia, and I was thinking about to change MB and graphics card, but after acquiring the information about lack of win98se drivers, I decided to buy a new P4B-XXX in September, remaining with my G400MAX.

Have you obtained any success shortening the R68 pin on the G400MAX?

Must I turn my thinkings on other M/B of other manufacturers?

I like ASUS and I want an Intel CHIPSET, but if I must change for another good M/B manufacturer (same chipset brand) or at least another good video card manufacturer, i will do!

Thanks.
                              <b><i><font size="+1">Zanna.</font></i></b>
                              <p><b><font size="-2"><hr>Current Config: Asus P4C800 Deluxe / Intel Pentium 4c 3.2 Ghz - 800 Mhz Bus / Dual 512Mb DDR 400 Ram (1Gb) / Matrox Millennium G400Max /&nbsp;&nbsp;Sound Blaster Audigy 2 /&nbsp; Western Digital WD2500JB: 250 Gb-7.2Krpm-8MBcache! / Superfloppy LS120 /&nbsp;Yamaha CRW-F1e /&nbsp;LG&nbsp;52x CDROM /&nbsp;Dual Boot 98se / W2k</font></b></p>

Comment

Hi Zanna,

yes, the good news is, I had success. i just soldered the two soldering points of R68 together, using a standard soldering iron (30Watts) equipped with a fine tip. the card is now correctly indentified as a 1.5V device by the Asus board. The modification does no harm to the card and it still works in boards with AGP 2x/1x.

Cartman

Comment

Working...
                                X