Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Safe to mount a G400MAX on a i845D chipset?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Safe to mount a G400MAX on a i845D chipset?

I'm planning to purchase a motherboard based on new revision of Intel 845 Chipset.

I read that this chipset have an AGP voltage of 1.5 volts.

The question is: my G400MAX (first version, only compatyible with AGP4x) is suitable for that chipset?

Or in case I slap it into a i845D motherboard can be I obtain a "fusion" version of my G400MAX ?

Thank to everyone can clarify this...
    <b><i><font size="+1">Zanna.</font></i></b>
    <p><b><font size="-2"><hr>Current Config: Asus P4C800 Deluxe / Intel Pentium 4c 3.2 Ghz - 800 Mhz Bus / Dual 512Mb DDR 400 Ram (1Gb) / Matrox Millennium G400Max /&nbsp;&nbsp;Sound Blaster Audigy 2 /&nbsp; Western Digital WD2500JB: 250 Gb-7.2Krpm-8MBcache! / Superfloppy LS120 /&nbsp;Yamaha CRW-F1e /&nbsp;LG&nbsp;52x CDROM /&nbsp;Dual Boot 98se / W2k</font></b></p>

There have been a whole lot of questions regarding the G400 adapters and the 1.5V AGP Pro interface on the Matrox Support Forums. Maybe this one could help you out: http://forum.matrox.com/mgaforum/For...ML/000763.html

Edit: Just in case that the above link would not work for you, the general answer to questions concerning Matrox adapters and 1.5V AGP is that any G400 or above card will work fine with both 3.3V and 1.5V AGP interfaces. They will do this automatically, the card will sense the voltage that it receives from the AGP bus.

So no G400 "Fusion" card for you
    Last edited by Tempest; 24 January 2002, 10:51.

Comment

Thanks Tempest!

Matrox forums readed,
      Haig Answer readed,
      Some doubts on ASUS P4B266 !

This Matrox card with this Intel chipset must work fine,
      but at least 2 users (Vitaly & ariman) reports problems...

The best choice, for me, was the ASUS P4B266,
      obviously before reading this matrox forum thread!!

I have a Old G400MAX, only 2X AGP, maybe
      this version can have same problems?

If possible, I will try to mount my card on
      a motherboard before I purchase them!!!

I am simply thinking HOW ?

Anywere, thanks Tempest!!
      <p><b><font size="-2"><hr>Current Config: Asus P4C800 Deluxe / Intel Pentium 4c 3.2 Ghz - 800 Mhz Bus / Dual 512Mb DDR 400 Ram (1Gb) / Matrox Millennium G400Max /&nbsp;&nbsp;Sound Blaster Audigy 2 /&nbsp; Western Digital WD2500JB: 250 Gb-7.2Krpm-8MBcache! / Superfloppy LS120 /&nbsp;Yamaha CRW-F1e /&nbsp;LG&nbsp;52x CDROM /&nbsp;Dual Boot 98se / W2k</font></b></p>

Comment

I have an old G400max 2xAGP version on a P4DCE+ without any problems.

Comment

interesting. i remember that when the G400's came out they could handle the AGP x4 spec but wouldn't run at it, they just ran at x2, but of course this was before the i845 and i850.

then later Matrox made G400's that could do AGP x4 in all sence.
          i don't know, i would think if you have one of the original G400's (like mine) it should work, but i don't know.
          no harm, no foul.

Comment

Re: Thanks Tempest!

Originally posted by Zanna
            Matrox forums readed,
            Haig Answer readed,
            Some doubts on ASUS P4B266 !

This Matrox card with this Intel chipset must work fine,
            but at least 2 users (Vitaly & ariman) reports problems...

The best choice, for me, was the ASUS P4B266,
            obviously before reading this matrox forum thread!!

I have a Old G400MAX, only 2X AGP, maybe
            this version can have same problems?

If possible, I will try to mount my card on
            a motherboard before I purchase them!!!

I am simply thinking HOW ?

Anywere, thanks Tempest!!
            You have to realize that most times when you see a problem such as the one that two people in that thread reported, it is due to their own installation mistakes.

The G400 works fine in the motherboard you are looking at.

Rags

Comment

Thanks, Rags!

I am looking on this thread on matrox forums:

P4B users post here

What do you think?
              Maybe some problems on some older G400Max PCB are real?

The only thing I can do in this moment is "Sit And Wait !"
              Maybe you are right and these two guys have configuration problems, maybe not.

Haig is investigating this. I think he it's doing a good, methodic, job.

I still wait the Haig verdict!

(I don't wand the "Fusion" version G400Max, and also I want to Turno ON my computer after sold old moterboard and old PIII)

Thanks to ALL. (And Thanks to HAIG )
              Last edited by Zanna; 25 January 2002, 15:19.

Comment

I have an original G400 MAX (September 2, 1999). While the #TYPEDET pin on the card edge indicates AGP 2x mode, it has an AGP 4x notch and is working fine in my Asus P4T (850-based board). The #TYPEDET pin is supposed to be used only in Universal AGP slots, not in 2x-keyed or 4x-keyed slots.

The G400 MAX will be fine when paired with i845.
                The pessimist says: "The glass is half empty."
                The optimist says: "The glass is half full."
                The engineer says: "I put half of my water in a redundant glass."

Comment

I have a G400 Max that is an early version that doesn't do 4X, it works fine in the P4B 266.

Rags

Comment

I started a thread around Christmas time here about the G400 and the P4B266 and got flamed for even suggesting that my G400 wouldn't work on the P4B266, and suggesting that the TYPEDET pin was responsible for the problem.

Haig has been more willing to look at the issue and so far it appears that he's agreeing with what I have been saying from the start; the TYPEDET pin should be connected to ground on all G400's.

It appears that a single PCB serial number (906-01 Rev.: A) has a fault on it where the TYPEDET pin is not connected to GND. There are 2 of us on the Matrox forum with this early rev PCB,and with P4B266's and neither of them work on the motherboard.

I've also proven that the P4B266 is looking at the TYPEDET pin to determin if the AGP card is 1.5v compatible.

Unfortunatly, Matrox do not have a G400 with this early PCB, or a P4B266 yet. Hopefully they will receive their P4B266 this week.

Any motherboard that does not try to decide if the G400 is 1.5v complient or not (P4B266 and the latest P4B) will work fine with any G400.
                    G400's which do not have this faulty PCB will work without any problems in the P4B266, but if the PCB is the early one then it will not work.

Comment

Mine Works Fine

I have G400 Max (9/99) installed on a Shuttle AV40/R using a VIA P4X266 chipset and it works fine.

JL
                      Base System:
                      -Windows 2000 Professional SP2
                      -Shuttle AV40/R with RAID & On-board Audio
                      -Intel 1.6GHz P4 (running @ 1.76GHz)
                      -512meg PC2100 DDR (DRAM Clock=133MHz)
                      -Enermax EG365P-VE(FMA) PSU
                      -Promise Ultra100TX2 IDE Controller
                      -IBM Deskstar 75GPX - 30gig HDD
                      -Quantum Fireball Plus AS - 10gig HDD
                      -Pioneer Slot load DVD
                      -Plextor 12/10/32x CD-RW
                      -Matrox G400 Max AGP Videocard + DVI module
                      -Sony SDM-N80 18.1" LCD Flat Panel Monitor (1280x1024)
                      -SMC 7004BR Broadband Router
                      -SMC 2655W 802.11b WAP
                      -Cable Modem

Comment

>the TYPEDET pin should be connected to ground on all G400's.

You know, if you want to bring that up again, the spec hasn't changed. It still says floating. If Matrox follows the spec, and the MB mfr doesn't, then it's not Matrox's fault.
                        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Quote from Haig:
                          "On brighter note, ever single rev of the G450, G550, and Marvel G400 cards will work without any problems as typedet are all grounded. Same goes for the G400 '4A' cards"
                          And another one:
                          "It's possible the 1st rev has it opened but won't confirm till I get one"

Have you actually read the P4B thread on the Matrox site???

Comment

i think that...

Yes, I readed (I am still checking it periodically) the thread and I am waiting when Haig receives the new P4B266 board.

The only right thing to do is to take note of the PCB Serial Number present on the boards that not work with P4B266 or similar chipsets and look onto our cards before thinking to change our system configuration, doing this until a final verdict not come from Matrox.

In these days, howewer, I will open my PC to look on my card.

I will get no surprise if there was a mistake on this PCB, sometimes big companies can make a mistake.

For now, there is a suspected PCB S/N, from you (Thanks):

906-01 Rev.: A

... then I can say that I have also a multimeter, and the temptation to use it to check the TYPEDET# pin is very high!

Only I won't to make nothing to invalidate an ipothetic RMA....

A more interesting question can be:

There is any "G400-with-this-PCB-S/N" and a "newer-than-rev-1.03-P4B266" owner that does not have any problem ???

Then I can say (to KevinST): You have made a good work!!
                            and to Haig: Good work searching the solution to this problem!

I am still waiting the verdict!!
                            Last edited by Zanna; 27 January 2002, 17:19.

Comment

Ciao Zanna,

I don't think that you would invalidate the warranty by measuring the resistance on the TYPEDET pin to GND, but if you feel safer not doing it then wait.

Haig has said that any G400 that does not use the apparently bad PCB (906-01 Rev.: A ) will be OK and has the TYPEDET connected.

I'll also not be surprised if Matrox have made a mistake with a batch of PCB's - I've worked for many companies where this has happened - it's a development fact-of-life that it happens

Comment

Working...
                              X