Pace's "Best of" threads #23: Power supply

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pace's "Best of" threads #23: Power supply

Just saw everyone's favourite chip designers talk about his favourite PSU, and I was chatting the other day to another MURCer about this. Now then, what's your opinion on the best PSU? The last time I bought a PC I made a few bad choices (1 was an Abit motherboard, the other was Abit capacitors, the other was Abit...etc), and I later added an Enermax PSU. Now, I think we all know about Enermax's slightly dodgy output, but if not them, then who? I don't know many PSU brands beyond Enermax, Sparkle spring to mind.

And another question which I'm sure will be discussed anyway, are branded PSUs more reliable? My fellow MURCer had two "quality" PSUs fail, and generic run for years on end. What are your experiences? Interesting to note I've had two PSUs fail - one last week on my rackmount case (reliable my ass), and another in a local company, who purchased that much loved PC Chips brand...motherboard, case and PSU the lot

Anyway, thoughts before I replace the rack PSU?

P.
    Meet Jasmine.
    flickr.com/photos/pace3000

i am more than happy with my ZALMAN (see sig). don't let the 300W fool you! also it's very quiet (i enhanced it though to make it noiseless ). it wasnt exactly cheap though or more precisely: they are a bit overpriced.
    Last edited by thop; 10 October 2002, 18:37.
    no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

For the good price/quality point, Sparkle supplies are pretty good.

If you're willing to spend, and know that you're getting top quality, PC Power & Cooling.
      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I've always had a standard PSU and now I have an enermax and I'm happy with it.
        Titanium is the new bling!
        (you heard from me first!)

Comment

PSU

Aopen power supplies have always been realiable for me.

They have also been able to handle amazing loads.

Athlon XP 2000+ with a 250W power supply anyone
          80% of people think I should be in a Mental Institute

Comment

I Love my PC Power & Cooling Silencer 400 all most as much as I Love my G400.
            Now I'm going upstairs to jump in bed with my Wife
            Alcohol and Drugs make life tolerable.

Comment

Antec.

Edit: Though I haven't had any problems with my 430W Enermax or 300W Fortron/Source either.
              Last edited by Tempest; 10 October 2002, 23:44.

Comment

I've noticed and heard there are lots of labels and PSU mods, and under them is a Channel Well, and I think someone here said Antec was a CWT too...
                How can you possibly take anything seriously?
                Who cares?

Comment

I must also say Antec. Enermaxes are eye candy, but their output is flaky at best.

Comment

Originally posted by mutz
                    I've noticed and heard there are lots of labels and PSU mods, and under them is a Channel Well, and I think someone here said Antec was a CWT too...
                    Yep, all PSUs that carry "case manufacturer" brands (Antec, Enlight, AOpen etc) are renamed. In best case they are Channel Well or Fortron, in a worst case scenario... Let's not get into that

Comment

Had a 250w PSU badged Arrowana for years, no problems.
                      Built my new rig with a 300w AMD reccomended Micron PSU. The PSU blew up within a few weeks.
                      Replaced it with an Enermax 350w - no problems whatsoever.
                      Athlon XP-64/3200, 1gb PC3200, 512mb Radeon X1950Pro AGP, Dell 2005fwp, Logitech G5, IBM model M.

Comment

Generic 300W: fine for me, if a little noisy (and probably due for a good ol' clean). But would go for a nice, stable, good value 400+W one if I needed to swap it out - so this thread is an excellent idea!
                        DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

If you want a real tank of a power supply, get a PCPower and Cooling. I have a PCP&C turbo-cool 450w in my main machine (dual P3-600, 3-10k SCSI hard drives, etc.) I run the thing day and night, and this computer never hiccups.. ever.

I'm getting another one for my gaming box. Hey.. you can't afford the best CAR.. but you could afford the best PSU.. it's worth it.

Comment

Generic crap 300W
                            ECS K7S5A, XP1600+@1800+, 2 Crucial 256Mb DDR sticks, volcano7+, seagate 7200rpm 40 gb, samsung dvd combo, LG 24x burner, floppy, case fan, Geforce4 Ti4400, sb audigy, NIC card.

Comment

My Sparkle 300w has been trustworthy for the last 2 years.

amish
                              Despite my nickname causing confusion, I have no religious affiliations.

Comment

Working...
                              X