Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DV versus S-VHS output

Hi

Does anyone know why do I get a perfectly crisp picture when I transfer my footage back to my camera (via Fire wire) and then output that footage to my VCRs via the cam`s S-VHS output......
    and get a relatively softer picture if I output straight from my computer to my VCRs via my Matrox G400 TV!!!!!

Thanks
    Orbital

set-up: dual processor (2X1000mhz), 120GB HD (7200 rpm) 512 MB ram, Matrox G400 TV, Win 2K VT 2.04

My guess is...the camera's playback is better quality(hardware) than the computer's, the files should be identical.

Some of the guys here have suggested using a color correction converter like the Sima SCC. I have one, but only use it to clean up DVD TV out. Not much call for VHS tapes any more, most are wanting DVDs for their final product.

Ted
    Premiere PRO XP Pro
    Asus P4s533
    P4-2.8
    Matrox G450
    RT.x100
    45 GIG System Drive
    120 Export Drive
    Promise Fastrak 100(4x80 Maxtor)
    Turtle Beach Santa Cruz

Toshiba Laptop
    17" P4-3 HT
    1024 RAM
    32 MEG GForce
    60 GIG 7200RPM HD
    80 GIG EXT HD (USB 2/Firewire)
    DVD RW/RAM

Comment

Orbital

There is another option: output DV to, say, a Canopus ADVC-100 which will convert it to analogue. I've never tried it because I use the ADVC only for capturing analogue as DV - and it seems quite good for that. Even VHS-C tapes shot 10 - 12 years ago on a cheapo camera make an acceptable DV signal, obviously not as good as DV tapes I've shot in the past 6 years or so, but acceptable.
      Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Hi

thanks Brian

I had a look around the Canopus and found this interesting site:

They seem to like it.

May I ask you. Does it allow you to output your own DVD footage or does it switch on the macromedia thing?

Best regards
        Orbital

Comment

Hi Orbital,

I have also encountered the same problems. What I do as regards sharpness is that just before the VCR input I use a Vivanco enhancer to slightly sharpen the picture and boost the chroma signal.

As for macrovision I have a Panasonic Video mixer which I place between the computer and the DVD player, this will compleatly remove macrovision
          since the mixer will produce a new sync. pulse.

Regards,

Debbie
          We pass this way only once. Make the most of it !

Comment

Orbital

I have used only to convert A-D up to now, with my own footage as source. I believe it does have Macromedia protection and I've heard that it can be disabled by pressing the Input Select button 4 times, but I cannot confirm this (not in the manual).
            Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

...so it seems to be what I was afraid of! I was hoping that a driver or a setting should fix the problem.
              I shall be experimenting with a new Video card very soon.
              Thanks
              Orbital

Comment

Working...
              X