X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I can now re-enter the world of UT

i have my phone line back.. at a steady 240 ping
    www.lizziemorrison.com

Haven't your area ever heard of broadband?

Where do you live?

Comment

Cable isn't an option nor is DSL in the area... of course not everyone has mommy and daddy paying for their internet, soooo...
      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Agreed with Greebe, but there are so 'few' people online playing games with modems these days that you are immediately at a huge disadvantage.

I'm now an ADSL user and being an old b*****d I pay for it myself
        Cheers, Reckless

Comment

Dunno about that. I found when they last pratted about with HL:TFC and modified the lag compensation, you were actually at a disadvantage to people on 56k modems.
          Athlon XP-64/3200, 1gb PC3200, 512mb Radeon X1950Pro AGP, Dell 2005fwp, Logitech G5, IBM model M.

Comment

I'm an ADSL user right now (was a Cable user, then before that dialup). And yes, I do pay for it myself. But since I have to have a phone available for at least reasonable access (work), and since this 1500/512 ADSL only runs $60 a month, it isn't a lot more than 2 phone lines + an ISP was before.

I hear ya, Rich. I had no problems with HL online back when I was dialup (well, no more than with any other game online). But using either my cable or my ADSL connections, I had a heckuva time playing. It's one of the few games that I've given up playing online because of my connection.
            "..so much for subtlety.."

System specs:
            Gainward Ti4600
            AMD Athlon XP2100+ (o.c. to 1845MHz)

Comment

Good on Ya!

Nice to see another of the UT faithful back in the game! Maybe now we can pin old Snake and his Uber-System to the wall.
              I always find it a bit tough to play vs high pingers because they seem to teleport around..now you see them, now you don't.... Makes it tough to time a shot, esp with a sniper rifle. Of course, that's the excuse I'll use as my a** gets handed to me. (Gee, I thought mine was a bit smaller).
              Oh, and I pay my own Cable broadband...along with the mortgage, the power, heat,water...blah blah....responsiblity blows...blah blah. I wanna go to McDonalds and get a freakin Happy meal.
              AMD 2500XP @ 2.3 GHz
              512 MB DDR PC3700 DChann
              ATI Radeon 9800 Pro now (s'alright)
              SB Live 5.1 Value
              80GB Drive

Comment

I pay 28$ a month for my adsl. Greebe you don´t have to be rich to have adsl, at least not in sweden

Comment

That's what combos are for CactusJack (when those darned cheating HPBs start teleporting around).

I've been trying to use the sniper rifle a bit lately, but just as I thought I was getting decent with it, I found out I was wrong. Crashdump (my 2v2 ladder buddy) and I got our rears handed to us in 2v2 Sniper by some guys that really know how to use the scope. (Like 53-12, heh)

I'm going to try to play some tonight, if anyone shows up in the MU IRC channel.
                  "..so much for subtlety.."

System specs:
                  Gainward Ti4600
                  AMD Athlon XP2100+ (o.c. to 1845MHz)

Comment

GAWD... smack a mini (kids these days
                    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Liz, I know what you're feeling. Not so long ago I was stuck in 56K hell (that was more like 28k) with no broadband options. Oboy is still in the same boat. And if I remember correctly... playing against you and your cable connection . I was happy with anything under 250 ms.
                      You know what? It was still pretty fun.
                      My rig: P4 3.0GHz; Asus P4C800E; 1GB DDR 3200; AIW Radeon 9800 Pro; WD 120GB SATA; Plextor DVD burner; Liteon DVD reader; Audigy 2ZS; Logitech Z560 4.1; NEC FE991SB

Kid's rig: AMD XP 1600+; 512MB ram; GF4 Ti4600; Maxtor 60GB; Plextor CD burner; Sony DVD reader; SB Live; Cambridge 4.1 speakers; NEC FE991SB

Other kid's rig: Athlon 2700+; ASUS A7N8X mobo; 512MB PC3200 ram; GF4 Ti4600; Maxtor 80GB; SB Live; Cambridge 2.1; NEC FE991SB; Liteon DVD-ROM

Comment

I'm stuck in 36k hell at the moment.

/me slaps BT about a bit with a big fecking trout!

Bought a new modem (USR v.92 external) in the hope it would help, can hardly connect with either modem

Online gaming? Pah, I'm struggling with "online" (ATM, on a Uni PC).

P.
                        Meet Jasmine.
                        flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

I was there to 56K H

until a month ago I was at that 56k place to with no options (Beezer still kicked my but with his shock combo) but I found that if we all played on a server here in texas I had a ping of 150 (it helped make me a little better) which made game play much better so we need to find a server near you then you might have the advantage.

Comment

Modems, what are those? lol

Haven't heard the word "modem" since 1998, highspeed rules dude, ask BT for at least ISDN

I'm stuck in 36k hell at the moment.

/me slaps BT about a bit with a big fecking trout!

Bought a new modem (USR v.92 external) in the hope it would help, can hardly connect with either modem

Online gaming? Pah, I'm struggling with "online" (ATM, on a Uni PC).

Comment

Originally posted by Elie
                              Modems, what are those? lol

Haven't heard the word "modem" since 1998, highspeed rules dude, ask BT for at least ISDN

Some of us are stuck in the Dark Ages!

Oboy
                              Time to make the wafers!
                              Oboy Inside!

intel P4 2.26 @ 2.957Ghz

"Life isn't like a box of chocolates...it's more like a jar of
                              jalapenos. What you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow."

Comment

Working...
                              X