Jan/Feb 2002 Launch? for Nvidia/ATi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jan/Feb 2002 Launch? for Nvidia/ATi

Caught that over at anandtech. Apparently the new .15 micron chips from these companies will be high volume launched in February.

The news/rumour can be found here:
    Product life cycle shortened, Nvidia and ATI to launch new chips in February Graphics chip competition not affecting card makers’ gross profit (Dec 6) Gigabyte and CP Technology strengthen support for ATI (Dec 14) The NV17 is expected to replace the present GeForce2 MX400 and GeForce2 Ti. Just a few months after their last launches, Nvidia and ATI Technologies will introduce their new, 0.15-micron-processed graphics chips in February.

_pleading_
    Comeon Matrox, match these guys and launch your chipset before February!

Whyzzi
    ECS K7S5A Pro, Athlon XP 2100+, 512 Megs PC-3200 CAS2.5, HIS Radeon 9550/VIVO 256Meg DDR

Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe C Mobile Athlon 2500+ @ 2.2GHz, 1GB PC-3200 CAS2.5, Hauppauge MCE 150, Nvidia 6600 256DDR

Asus A8R32 MVP, Sempron 1600+ @ 2.23GHz, 1 Gig DDR2 RAM, ATI 1900GT

Here's some info of the nextgen Ati i found on http://www.radeon2.ru :

R300

. the technology of production. 0,15 (micro)m
    . the frequency of nucleus/kernel. 350Mhz
    . the number of conveyors (pipelines) of rendering. 4 or 8
    . the number of textural blocks on each conveyor. 2 or 4
    . frequency and the type of memory. 800Mhz DDR
    . the capacity of the busbar/tire of the exchange of memory chipset of 12Gb/s
    . the support Of truForm, 2 blocks from the work from TruForm
    . the support of the new versions of piksel'nykh (?) and apical shader
    . the support of the conclusion/derivation of image to 2 monitors (HydraVision)
    . the support Of directX 9
    . support to the technology Of HyperZ 3
    . support to 250Mb of the memory
    . 4 blocks from the work with apical shader
    . Pixel To fillrate. 2,8 mln. pixsels per second
    . Texel To fillrate. 8,4 mln. texeles per second
    . support both to 128 bit and 256 bit busbars/tires of the exchange of memory chipset
    . the exemplary/approximate date of announcement. spring 2002

Reading this i suddenly feal that the 19,2Gb/s with 256bit DDR of the 'Parhelia' doesn't sound impossible anymore
    PIII 1Ghz|AbitSa6R|512mb Kingston|Matrox Parhelia 512 Retail|80gb WD & 30gb IBM 75gxp|Diamond MX300 A3d 2.0|36xcdrom|6x32AopenDVD|Sony DRU500A|Intel Pro 10/100 S|IIyama Vision Master Pro 450 | Celly 300a@450 'server' powered by a G400MAX

Comment

I hope Matrox will be out with some more info very soon!!

Comeon Matrox!!

Comment

Go Matrox!!!!
        Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

8 pixel pipelines, 2-4 TMU's each, and I read somewhere about 4 Pixel and 4 vertex shaders, 350 MHz...ALL THIS ON A 0,15 DIE

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Comment

sounds like a big chip!

is this really possible with todays tech? i don´t want a voodoo56k sized graphic-card.
            This sig is a shameless atempt to make my post look bigger.

Comment

Originally posted by TDB
              sounds like a big chip!

is this really possible with todays tech? i don´t want a voodoo56k sized graphic-card.
              Not only that but I dont think my power supply is up to it
              Interests include:
              Computing, Reading, Pubs, Restuarants, Pubs, Curries, More Pubs and more Curries

Comment

maybe its 0.13 mikron (if thats what it is), i think the actual geforce 3/radeon 8500 are already 0.15 mikron (if thats what it is)

Comment

Who cares about what nVidia and ATI are delivering?

ATI drivers simply sucks ( said as not so proud owner of AIW Radeon.) and nVidia has to still improve their image quality to power my HP P1110 monitor. (said as not so proud owner of Hercules GF 1 DDR.)

so ATI and nVidia aren't choices for me.

and I am still believe that we will see that rumoured 19.2 GB/s mem bandwidth on matrox next card. I am now ready to wait for it. and at least I know that Bitboys isn't dead, but I would like to have Matrox in meantime...

R300 is not like to have eRAM, so it will be mem bandwidth limited.
                  and I don't think that NV25 is going to have any big improvments to mem. bandwidth either. And no big mem. bandwidth means slowdown to FSAA, making it practically useless. (no one wants to use it...)

I stand for Matrox now. Bitboys has their projects and it is suprisingly far, but still so far that I have time to use one card before their offering.
                  "Dippadai"

Comment

I am hoping to hear that Matrox card is 0.15-0.17 micron eRAM (SRAM/EDRAM) process.
                    "Dippadai"

Comment

What new Matrox card?
                      Since they are not going to the biggest "consumer" computer fair (CEBIT), you can be ABSOUTELY sure that their next card is quite some time away.

And by then it'll really have to compete against ATI R300 (there are specs out there that say 256Bit bus...) and GeForce4 (with GigaPixel tech?), so it better be good.
                      But we named the *dog* Indiana...
                      My System
                      2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
                      German ATI-forum

Comment

Indiana: was G400 launched at trade show? was G200 launched at trade show? was G550 launched at trade show? since when Matrox has started show things on trade shows??

and as said for me, there isn't any other choices so... why not wait?

and why everyone is so up to GigaPixel? for me it is just company that was bought by another company some years ago...

GigaPixel tech is very interesting, I don't deny that, but NV25 is going to be an updgrade to NV20 (as Geforce 2 (NV15) was for GF1 (NV10)) and did we see anything special between them? no. There was few pipelines more and faster memory, but nothing new to memory design, which is still the main problem in cards.

Last edited by Nappe1; 30 December 2001, 14:16.
                        "Dippadai"

Comment

Hidden Surface Removal technology acquired from Gigapixel may allow NVidia to skirt the bandwidth problem in much the same way as PowerVR did with the KyroII.
                          Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

Yes, they tend to announce their chips independent of trade shows. Still, if they had something to show or a new chip announced until Cebit, you can bet they'd be there. And I guess you know what it means if they don't even have the new chip announced by then for the release-date of an actual card...

Of course the NV25 will only be an a bit polished up NV20, but what I'm talking about was the NV30 which probably will see the light together even before a new Matrox card (my guess would be with the release of DX9 - somewhere Q4/02).

As K6-III said the Gigapixel tech would provide a way around the bandwidth limitation (kinda scary - try to think about the speed NVidia might get if GP technology actually worked )
                            And a 256Bit bus would also provide an effective (while costly) way around those limitations. I'm sure the use of a 256Bit bus is not way off (we already had the switches from 32 -> 64 ->128 bits), as is the thought of using QDR for gfx-cards.
                            But we named the *dog* Indiana...
                            My System
                            2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
                            German ATI-forum

Comment

I think the thing thats going to happen is that both ATI and Nvidia will say they are coming out with new products and you wont be able to get them till the Fall some time...several reasons for this:

The R200 has only been out on the market for 3 months now...it would be crazy for them to come out with something totally new when their current product still has alot of potental in it that needs to shine through with driver improvements.

Nvidia is in a slightly different boat here...if they do come out with something...its most likely going to be something based off the XBOX GPU with 128 bit DDR memory...still nothing really shattering..just a GeForce 3 thats totally DX8.1 complant.

The biggest problem that both companies face now is that if they do come out with new products in the next two months..in all likelyhood they wont support the new DX9 extentions that havent been finallized yet. I've read that DX9 won't be out till the fall...at the earliest!

Scott
                              Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Working...
                              X