My Gainward Geforce3 finally arivved.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Gainward Geforce3 finally arivved.

This card has very good 2D sharpness, just a tad worse than a G400, the cooling fan on it runs silent, matrox should learn from this seeing as there cooling fan on the G400max runs as loud as all hell

Very stable drivers, course I stay away from leaked drivers. All in all I am happy with it.

Now I need to think what to do with my G400

Galvin,

The 2D of the GF3 may be a tad worse than the G400,
    but I would bet that the speed is a bit more than a tad higher!

Comment

Hmmm, gotta get me one of those. Where'd you get it from? I'd prefer to not get it online, if I can get it for a good price.
      Primary system specs:
      Asus A7V266-E | AthlonXP 1700+ | Alpha Pal8045T | Radeon 8500 | 256mb Crucial DDR | Maxtor D740X 40gb | Ricoh 8/8/32 | Toshiba 16X DVD | 3Com 905C TX NIC | Hercules Fortissimo II | Antec SX635 | Win2k Pro

Comment

Galvin for you to claim it's 2D quality is just a s tad worse than a G400, may I ask what resolution and monitor make (specifically size) you're using to proclaim this?
        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Hitachi SuperScan 813 21"
          Using 1024x768
          Looks crystal clear at this res, looks better since I turned on the digital vibrance in the drivers.

Comment

1024x768 on a 21´´??

How far from you is the monitor?

Comment

Ramp it upto 1600*1200 (if possible) and let us know the results:-)
              Interests include:
              Computing, Reading, Pubs, Restuarants, Pubs, Curries, More Pubs and more Curries

Comment

... and compare it to a g400 at that res. as well

Comment

You would think that for more than $300.00 USD it would be able to have the best 2D quality available, true dual head capabilities, and not be known only for it's ability to run Q3 at frame rates that aren't really needed. After all the human eye can only process so many frames per sec anyway.

Joel
                  Last edited by Joel; 4 August 2001, 07:37.
                  Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
                  Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

I'm sorry Joel but .... Q3 is a bad example, because Q3 freaks need high frame rates as do UT freaks ( UT that's me ).On the other hand I need only mention games like Giants, Max Payne etc.
                    to see where a 300$ GFX card comes in handy.

Sure dual-head is a nice thing but if you don't use it or don't need it then why pay extra for it ! I had a G400 Max and I never used my dualHead ... I don't have 2 monitors and I don't need two monitors.(I know that it could be used for watching TV ... but hey)

I liked my G400 max, but the truth is it can't cut it among the big boys anymore and 2D quality ... well I have no complaints my monitor is also crystal clear even in 1600 x 1200.
                    BTW it's a Philips Brilliance Trinitron-CRT 109P20.

As to 2D performance .... recent tests using 3DMax's built in 2D benchmark clearly shows, that the G4xx takes a serious beating compared to a Radeon and a GF2 GTS.

The G4xx is an execellent GFX card, but it simple can't compete against the new cards which comes out and by the looks of it the G550 dosen't seem to change that !

I have owned a Millenium, a G200 and a G400Max GFX card from Matrox .... but no more ! it's sad, but its time for me to move on !

( Actually I have already done that for a while now )
                    Fear, Makes Wise Men Foolish !
                    incentivize transparent paradigms

Comment

Originally posted by Joel
                      After all the human eye can only process so many frames per sec anyway.
                      The human eye can, in fact, tell the difference between
                      30 FPS and 60 FPS. It knows smooth gameplay when
                      it sees it.

The Human Eye
                      Last edited by Tom; 4 August 2001, 08:07.

Comment

About the eye thing .... I don't get that !

Why, you ask .... then ask yourself this : How many times a second does the light travel around the earth ?

30 times .. NO ... 60 times ... NO hmmmm , not even close as it is below 8 but above 6. (he he)

Which would give a frame rate less than 10 ! Which means we are seeing the world in less than 10 FPS ! I simply cannot understand this !

But then again I could be totally wrong, becuase no one said that the movement of light around the earth pr. second has anything to with the rate of frames we see the world in. But if this is so how does this movement of light affect the framerate seen on a computer screen ... does it divide it by 7 or does it add 7 or does it subtract 7 FPS ? anyone ?

Comment

Light doesn't have to travel around the earth to reach your eyes. If your monitor is 2 feet from your face, the light only has to travel 2 feet. Not all around the world.
                          Primary system specs:
                          Asus A7V266-E | AthlonXP 1700+ | Alpha Pal8045T | Radeon 8500 | 256mb Crucial DDR | Maxtor D740X 40gb | Ricoh 8/8/32 | Toshiba 16X DVD | 3Com 905C TX NIC | Hercules Fortissimo II | Antec SX635 | Win2k Pro

Comment

of course not !

But how does world light affect FPS ?

(my guess is it doesn't, but you never know)

Comment

Kosh, that might be important if the Earth were dodging side to side trying to avoid your shock rifle, but as far as I can tell it pretty much maintains its stately orbital velocity and hardly ever changes directions..

Comment

Working...
                              X