New Motherboard and Win2K Server

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Motherboard and Win2K Server

Over the years I've created quite a collection of computers in my home and I've got them all networked. I'm looking into building a new system with a dual processor motherboard to run Win2K Server to control my network and such. So I have two questions:

Does a dual processor motherboard really make that much of a difference? (I'm looking at getting the Asus CUV4X-D with two 1 Ghz Pentium III processors with 512 MB RAM)

Can the RT2000 work with Win2K Server?

Right now I'm running Win2k Pro with a TBird 900, Asus A7V and 256 MB RAM. I've got a 40 GB RAID on a Promise Fasttrak along with a 20 GB system drive and a 15 GB misc. drive.

Thanks for your help!

Gee, a bit much for a small server

This is for server duties,

1) Multiple processors will only help if you plan on doing a lot of processing on the server.
    2) If you are doing lots of processing on the server, multiple processors will only help if the server you are running is designed to take advantage of it.
    3) If you are NOT doing much processing on the server (like for file sharing/printer sharing, small databases and other small tasks, email, webproxy), you will quickly bottleneck at the network, disk subsystems. and memory bandwidth.

Save the nice hardware for your desktop. Use a single low end P-II class (or better) CPU on a good motherboard with LOTS of ram (256 meg is a good start), the crappiest real video card you can find (since using onboard video uses memory bandwidth that is best used being a server). Use SCSI harddrives on the server for best multi-user response, since scsi hard drives are slightly faster and handle multiple users better.

On a computer I administer, it is a Duron 700 running linux with 196 meg of ram, with 4 network cards. It handles:

1) webserving, with a fair whack of dynamic content, and
    web based email, secure web site
    2) samba (windows shares), with up to 200 clients connected at once
    3) web proxy
    4) email server, with virus scanning
    5) full backups over NFS to backup server nightly
    6) dhcp server
    7) wins server

This computer is rarely using more that 10% of its cpu at any one time, so cpu speed isn't all that relavent for small servers.
    80% of people think I should be in a Mental Institute

Comment

Working...
    X