Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dvdmax and custom resolution

Hi,
    I want to set a custom resolution in dvdmax mode for the secondary output.
    there is a list of available resolution in the "max secondary resolution" box but if i create a new with mtstu418 utility, it isn't available.

any ideas?

AFAIK, there is no such thing as predefined custom resolution for DVDMax. All clips whatever their size are are stretched to fill the screen. So, in DVDMax mode source resolution is dynamic and can be whatever You want up to limitation of memory amount and bandwidth.

Comment

you can't really speak about a 'resolution' anyway for DVD-MAX, as it's the TV-Out, and that's an analogue signal. Anyway, with the G400 the final resolution used prior to converting the signal to analogue for TV is either 688x480 for NTSC and 688x576 for PAL. You can't change this resolution, and you certainly don't want to (unless you have made your own TV which uses a propriety format
      ).

Comment

dZeus,
        Do You have information, why such strange width -- 688?
        First thing that comes into my mind is that it is not even multiple of 32... So playing back 688x480 clip on overlay is impossible while it is exactly the "working" resolution

This might be one case where G550 beats older cards. As I understood from G550 docs, it outputs DVDs without any stretching -> the resolution must be 720x???

Comment

Realisticly there isn't an exact number for the horizontal resolution, it's totalty analog.

[edit] Ah, dZeus was refering to BEFORE the card does the D/A conversion. In the old Amiga days if I remember right the most common "overscan" resolution used for video was 704 wide [/edit]
          Last edited by Jon P. Inghram; 8 July 2001, 19:47.

Comment

yes, don't ask me why, but it's 688 horizontally

Though I fail to see why that would hinder overlay usage? 'Cause the resolution the G400 hardware uses internally isn't even visible for the codec itself. (and afaik only the MS MPEG4 codec is suffering of the multiple-of-32 overlay problem).

Maybe the G450 and/or G550 use 720 as horizontal res. prior to converting to analogue, but I wonder if you can see the difference in anything except maybe anomorphic widescreen DVD movies on a widescreen TV.

Comment

PAL = 720x576
              NTSC = 720x486

only if you're feeding a VGA monitor with DVDMax it uses 1024x768 ...
              Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
              Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
              be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
              4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
              2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
              OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
              4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
              Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
              Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
              LG BH10LS38
              LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

Isn't NTSC 720x480? I've also seen 704x480 somewhere...

Comment

as I and Jon already pointed out, there is _no_ horizontal resolution for PAL and NTSC, as they are analogue standards. NTSC contains 480 visible lines. NTSC MPEG2 DVD streams are encoded at 720x480. The G400 uses 688x480 in the last step prior to converting the signal to the analogue NTSC singal for the TV. I don't know about the G450 and the G550, but as Rene said, it could very well be that the G550 uses 720x576 and 720x480 in the last step prior to converting the signal to analogue for TV-Out.

Comment

very strange ...

here at work (video post production), all of our digital video machines use 720x576 for PAL and 720x486 for NTSC (SGI Onyx, running Discreet Logic's Flame and Inferno)

Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
                    Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
                    be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
                    4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
                    2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
                    OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
                    4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
                    Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
                    Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
                    LG BH10LS38
                    LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

I want to use a 1184x666 @ 50Hz resolution so that my projector (sony vpl-vw10ht) recognize it as progressive signal and display it with a 16/9 aspect. otherwise the projector accept a 1024*768 but with a compacted 4/3 screen output.
                      All that works when i set the first or the second output of the matrox in dualhead-multidisplay, but not in dvdmax.
                      And when the matrox can scale a overlay video yo 1024x768, wy not in another resolution?

Comment

Working...
                      X