Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The weekly Fastest of Seti@MURC

Hi Martin,

Since we've lost a couple of days due to a break down in the forum server, people might want to look at who is fastest at the moment.

I've seen we have Rags back, so after the debacle of the last thread, in which Rags quit Seti@Murc completely, I would like to ask you to exclude all those who have average times under 4 hours.

If those people don't want to be excluded from the Fastest list, then we'd better hope that all people reading this thread have the decency not to ask how this person comes to these fast times.

Welcome back Rags.

Jorden.
    Jordâ„¢

I don't mind being asked how I get my fast times, what I do mind is when I tell them and they don't believe, then proceed to call me a liar/cheater.

Rags

Comment

Point taken.
      Jordâ„¢

Comment

Hey leave Rags alone, if you wanna go faster in Seti run the Linux cmdline version

Comment

What I'd like to see is a comparison between operating systems, setups ect.

We all want faster WU times, lets try to find the optimal setup, for the good of the team.

------------------
          P3 500@560, 224 MB ram, G400 16SH, SB Live Value
          Maxtor DM 40+ 30GB, IBM Deskstar 16GP 10GB, Maxtor 4320 13 GB
          6h50min avg on the last 30+ SETI WUs

"That's right fool! Now I'm a flying talking donkey!"

P4 2.66, 512 mb PC2700, ATI Radeon 9000, Seagate Barracude IV 80 gb, Acer Al 732 17" TFT

Comment

Recently switched back to Win98 from Win2k.
            P3E@828, 256MB RAM
            Win2k: ~5 a WU
            Win98: ~4:30 a WU
            It will do non-Gaussian ones in 4:15

Some other machines:
            P3E@620, 128 MB RAM
            Win98: ~5:30

P3@500, 128 MB RAM
            Win NT: ~7:15

All running 2.4 commandline version.
            Jan M.

[This message has been edited by jms (edited 16 May 2000).]

Comment

Point well taken, Rags.

It's good to see you back, and I'm not referring to your WUs when I say that.

Jorden: okay, I'll cook up a new list. I won't exclude the fastest murcers though. What's the point of doing a "top-20 pretty fast ones, excluding the fastest, because people might ask questions"?

Martin

Comment

My fastest setup:

- Quad Xeon 550@550, 1MB L2 cache. One CPU used during speedtest.
                - 1G memory. Dunno what type.
                - 18 G Ultra 2 SCSI.
                - Linux 2.2.x

The one WU that was crunched in this configuration took 5h 48m. Considering the spread in WU-times, an "average" WU may take longer or shorter. It's now back to seti-ing on all four processors, which takes longer (a little less than 7h).

Martin

Comment

The top-20 fastest SETI@murcers, for the week of May 9-16.

<TABLE BORDER=1><TR><TH>name</TH><TH>wus</TH><TH>hours</TH><TH>average</TH></TR><TR><TD>pace3000
                  </TD><TD>1</TD><TD>0.10</TD><TD>0h 6m</TD></TR><TR><TD>Rags</TD><TD>42</TD><TD>73.57</TD><TD>1h 45m</TD></TR><TR><TD>Manex</TD><TD>15</TD><TD>44.00</TD><TD>2h 56m</TD></TR><TR><TD>Guyver</TD><TD>47</TD><TD>262.98</TD><TD>5h 36m</TD></TR><TR><TD>paulcs</TD><TD>46</TD><TD>262.98</TD><TD>5h 43m</TD></TR><TR><TD>Eye MD</TD><TD>20</TD><TD>118.60</TD><TD>5h 56m</TD></TR><TR><TD>Jorden</TD><TD>15</TD><TD>89.25</TD><TD>5h 57m</TD></TR><TR><TD>Mark F.</TD><TD>103</TD><TD>613.62</TD><TD>5h 57m</TD></TR><TR><TD>jms(500E@765)</TD><TD>43</TD><TD>262.98</TD><TD>6h 7m</TD></TR><TR><TD>Jakob Kruse</TD><TD>44</TD><TD>285.33</TD><TD>6h 29m</TD></TR><TR><TD>VSA</TD><TD>54</TD><TD>350.64</TD><TD>6h 30m</TD></TR><TR><TD>Ace</TD><TD>3</TD><TD>19.87</TD><TD>6h 37m</TD></TR><TR><TD>Greebe</TD><TD>66</TD><TD>438.30</TD><TD>6h 38m</TD></TR><TR><TD>KvHagedorn</TD><TD>46</TD><TD>314.45</TD><TD>6h 50m</TD></TR><TR><TD>CHHAS</TD><TD>27</TD><TD>187.51</TD><TD>6h 57m</TD></TR><TR><TD>Guru</TD><TD>75</TD><TD>526.70</TD><TD>7h 1m</TD></TR><TR><TD>minsoo</TD><TD>23</TD><TD>163.35</TD><TD>7h 6m</TD></TR><TR><TD>Kruzin</TD><TD>5</TD><TD>35.77</TD><TD>7h 9m</TD></TR><TR><TD>Ackerot</TD><TD>21</TD><TD>151.10</TD><TD>7h 12m</TD></TR><TR><TD>T_Burgler</TD><TD>9</TD><TD>65.05</TD><TD>7h 14m</TD></TR></TABLE>

I guess Pace3000 had a lucky day (possibly a noisy WU, which gets sent back after a few minutes).

Martin

Comment

jms,

Did you change your seti nickname (from "jms(500E@765)" to "jms")? If so, will you keep the new one? I'll give you back your WU-history on seti.matroxusers.com then.

Martin

Comment

Ees,
                      I'm going to keep my new nickname.
                      Jan M.

Comment

Hi,

our fastest system(for the newbies: I'm a member of "Alpha Centauri") is a Athlon 750.
                        In the last couple of weeks we all upgraded our home system from K6-3's to Athlons (2x Athlon 750,1x Athlon 600).
                        What makes me angry is that the clients are mostly Intel optimzed. Even with an 750Mhz one we need nearly 6 hours for a WU. Some of you get that with a crappy "slow" Coppermine OR Katmai 600.
                        Really shitty.

PS: We are all using commanline client.

Mega
                        K6-3 400Mhz@450Mhz
                        G400 16MB, 192MB Ram and so on

Comment

Thanks Martin.
                          Jan

Comment

HuiHuiHui, We are on place 5 !!!

unluckily we will be passed by Xenosynth in a (couple?) of days .

But it's easier to handle that we will be passed by such a strong Competitor.

Has anyone seen Xeno here on the forums yet??
                            K6-3 400Mhz@450Mhz
                            G400 16MB, 192MB Ram and so on

Comment

MM X4

>>>What makes me angry is that the clients are mostly Intel optimzed<<<

I don't believe that the clients are optimised for Intel ,I believe that the PIII's do better at SETI because of their better memorey performance when on a BX chipset board

Team AnandTech - SETI@H, Muon1 DPAD, F@H, MW@H, Asteroids@H, LHC@H, Skynet POGS.

Main rig - Q9550 @3.6 GHz, HD 5850 (Cat 13.1), 4GB DDR2, Win 7 64bit, BOINC 7.2.42
                              2nd rig - E5200 @3.73 GHz, GTX 260 c216, 4GB DDR2, Win XP, BOINC 7.2.42

Comment

Working...
                              X