No announcement yet.

Hiding the stupid SETI icon in system bar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What happened to fun and games? It's like they are tracking us like big brother or something.

Dave
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

All I can say is Team A must be running very scared of the little ole MURC if they have to continually spy on us and think of ways of pulling us down Lets see if that stirs them up Has the friendly rivalry gone all of a sudden?

Comment

Dyre, if you're handy enough, you could make an icon for seti which is empty and has the same color as the systemtray. The only thing you might want to do is make sure seti loads after all the other programs sitting in the system tray have loaded, then the extra bit of space inbetween the last icon and the clock doesn't show up all that good

Jord.
        Jordâ„¢

Comment

Hey chill guys

This isn't meant to be some sneaky way of knocking down your output ,we're just concerned that you could potentially get kicked out of SETI ,we wouldn't want to beat you like that!.

Ant

As far as I'm aware the friendly rivalry is still here.
          Are we running scared? well maybe a little at the mo
          But that won't last ,we will conquer ,Resistance is futile!

Helevitia

That's mainly down to me! ,I travel around various forums .Including this one ,I like to see who & what we're up against.
          A bit of fun trash talking too doesn't go amiss either .
          I guess you could call it spying ,but not in a sneaky way.After all I made it clear where I was from right from the beggining ,I could of been totally quiet about it.
          BTW I post links between both forums ,it's not 1 way

Ees

Ok so we can't know what every member is doing ,but we try.I believe I'd be right to say that our big guns are clean at least
          BTW IMO Hymy's suggestion is somewhat unkind

For the most part it was meant to be a friendly warning ,we don't want you booted out.As you can see by Mgalliks post.
          Team AnandTech - SETI@H, Muon1 DPAD, F@H, MW@H, Asteroids@H, LHC@H, Skynet POGS.

Main rig - Q9550 @3.6 GHz, HD 5850 (Cat 13.1), 4GB DDR2, Win 7 64bit, BOINC 7.2.42
          2nd rig - E5200 @3.73 GHz, GTX 260 c216, 4GB DDR2, Win XP, BOINC 7.2.42

Comment

It seems like The_One (Team Anandtech) is running on something he shouldn't ...

http://anandforums.gisystech.com/mes...hreadid=164738

... otherwise he wouldn't be trying to hide SETI by setting it up as a service.

------------------
            P3 500, 224 MB ram, G400 16SH, SB Live Value
            Maxtor DM 40+ 30GB, IBM Deskstar 16GP 10GB, Maxtor 4320 13 GB
            6h40min avg on the last 10+ SETI WUs
            "That's right fool! Now I'm a flying talking donkey!"

P4 2.66, 512 mb PC2700, ATI Radeon 9000, Seagate Barracude IV 80 gb, Acer Al 732 17" TFT

Comment

Excellent research, CHHAS.

I'll leave it up to Assi to rub it in, over there at the AT Forums

LOL,
              Martin

Comment

According to BurntKooshie in the AnandTech forums:

We use the machines of others too. But we get their permission first
                They must do interviews before admitting any new members. All 302 Team Anandtech members have signed a statement that none of their WUs came from machines for which there was no explicit authorization. Hymy keeps them in his bedroom drawer, underneath his stamp-collection.

Martin

Comment

up
                  Jordâ„¢

Comment

Assim,

Whatever. I don't think we're really all that interested in how and why The_One is running whatever seti-clients he's using. I wish him the best of luck, and may his previous employer overlook them until the end of times. (My previous employer left my seti's running for a few months... )

It was just meant as a bit of friendly rivalry from our side . You (or your team-mates) could be a bit more careful though when throwing the first stone... Maybe Dyre is an alumni who payed for all the computers at his old school. Maybe the principal has officially appointed Dyre to be the school's seti maintainer, but those stupid Techs want to run their own (unauthorized) copies. Right Dyre?

So, how 'bout it? I say: run the suckers.

Martin

Comment

One of the reasons that breezer is only kicking out single figure units a day now is that a lot of the PC's are used upto 9.30pm and as I go home between 7-8 I can't set them up using the command line-seti.
                      The use of the screen saver version is deemed as a violation of the "Policy of Acceptable Use".
                      As I shout loudly at people who trash their machines running fancy screen savers or silly pets, I'll only run the seti service when I know no one else will be using the machine.
                      Therefor you see breezers units hit the 80's when no one is here.

It is best to get permission at work and to read the companys policys as to what you can do and what you can't. The last thing we want is one of the "patched/optimized" versions to contain a payload to trash your pc and have companies ban the seti client as a potential virus threat/security loop hole.

Breezer
                      Everything I say is true apart from that which is not

Comment

Jorden

I almost never go there unless pointed to it for soem reason .I usually 'hang out' in the overclocking or Dist Comp sections ,occasionally the m/brd section too.
                        I'm gonna look for the thread now ,could you post the link in case I can't find it?

Ees

I only mentioned it 'cos someone else did

Anyway I just spoke to The_One on ICQ ,here's what he said.

>>yep u answered fine m8, acurate and to the point <<

Anyway..... now for something completely different

I'd swear there's an elastic band between our teams ,everytime we pull away a little ,you manage to whip past us ,then we do the same back!
                        So you're about due to whip past us again

What do ya reckon to my theory?

Team AnandTech - SETI@H, Muon1 DPAD, F@H, MW@H, Asteroids@H, LHC@H, Skynet POGS.

Main rig - Q9550 @3.6 GHz, HD 5850 (Cat 13.1), 4GB DDR2, Win 7 64bit, BOINC 7.2.42

Comment

You bet we are

------------------
                          Katmai 500@560, 196 MB ram, G400 16SH , Maxtor DM 40+ 30GB, Maxtor 4320 13 GB
                          "That's right fool! Now I'm a flying talking donkey!"

P4 2.66, 512 mb PC2700, ATI Radeon 9000, Seagate Barracude IV 80 gb, Acer Al 732 17" TFT

Comment

Assim, if you're quick, it will be on top

Quick meaning within 5 minutes... then it's at the bottom again

My nick there is Jorden as well, so it's easy searching for it, that is, if you know how to work the search option

Jord, crunching a particular difficult WU at the moment: 3 hours and at 22%
                            Jordâ„¢

Comment

Dont worry about the permission thing... i dont think im going to have time to get stuff set up before summer any ways. Oh well, have to wait till next year i guess.

Guess im not going to bust into the top 20 anytime soon...

EDIT: Not that the school would care anyways... Ohhh my seti client is killing thier pIII 600's runnin Netscape, Word, and about 400 IM programs... Ohhhhh nooooo.

[This message has been edited by Dyre (edited 17 May 2000).]

Comment

Dyre

>>>Ohhh my seti client is killing thier pIII 600's runnin Netscape, Word, and about 400 IM programs... Ohhhhh nooooo.<<<<

Hehehe LOL

------------------
                                I guess I won't recruit for my team here TA

Comment

Working...
                                X