X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USA dumb laws, is it true?

A lot of time ago I found www.dumblaws.com

Are all those law true?
    Sat on a pile of deads, I enjoy my oysters.

Seattle
    -You may not carry a concealed weapon that is over six feet in length.
    -Women who sit on men's laps on buses or trains without placing a pillow between them face an automatic six-month jail term.
    -No one may set fire to another person's property without prior permission.
    -It is illegal to carry a fishbowl or aquarium onto a bus because the sound of the water sloshing may disturb other passengers.

Wilbur
    -You may not ride an ugly horse.
    According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

It is considered an offense to push a live moose out of a moving airplane

It is considered an offense to feed alcoholic beverages to a moose

------------------
      Join the MURC SETI team! | SETI @ MURC

"Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity. It eliminates dreams, goals, and ideals and lets us get straight to the business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation."
      According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Glendale

Cars may not be driven in reverse.

Mohave County

A decree declares that anyone caught stealing soap must wash himself with it until it is all used up.

Tucson

Women may not wear pants.
        Tombstone

It is illegal for men and women over the age of 18 to have less than one missing tooth visible when smiling.

Arkansas must be pronounced "Arkansaw"

A man can legally beat his wife, but not more than once a month

Fayetteville
        It is illegal to kill "any living creature".

California

Sunshine is guaranteed to the masses

It is a misdemeanor to shoot at any kind of game from a moving vehicle, unless the target is a whale. (But judge I thought he was a whale LOL)

Chico
        Detonating a nuclear device within the city limits results in a $500 fine.

Long Beach
        Cars are the only item allowed in a garage.
        It is illegal to curse on a mini-golf course.

Los Angeles
        It is illegal to cry on the witness stand.
        Toads may not be licked

Pasadena
        It is illegal for a secretary to be alone in a room with her boss.

San Francisco

Persons classified as "ugly" may not walk down any street

I'm sorry man you are just too damn ugly so i'll have to arrest you! ROFLMAO

Denver

The dog catcher must notify dogs of impounding by posting, for three consecutive days, a notice on a tree in the city park and along a public road running through said park.
        It is unlawful to lend your vacuum cleaner to your next-door neighbor.
        It is illegal to mistreat rats in Denver,

Colorado.
        You may not drive a black car on Sundays.

Sterling
        Cats may not run loose without having been fit with a taillight.

Devon

It is unlawful to walk backwards after sunse

I think this confirms what I al'ways suspected....

------------------
        Join the MURC SETI team! | SETI @ MURC

"Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity. It eliminates dreams, goals, and ideals and lets us get straight to the business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation."

Comment

Some from Canada, not my neck of the woods:

<UL>[*]If you are released from prison, it is required that you are given a handgun with bullets and a horse, so you can ride out of town. [*]It is illegal to kill a sasquatch. [*]Driving on the roads is not allowed. [/list]

Comment

My personal favorite is the one from... I want to say Maryland... where married couples cannot legally sleep in the same bed in a hotel/motel, and also cannot sleep in the space between the beds.

Thus all motels/hotels to this day have two beds, and the beds are only a foot or two apart.

- Gurm

------------------
            Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
            If only life were as easy as you
            I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
            If only life were as easy as you
            I would still get screwed

Comment

I believe in Brooklyn, NY, you are not allowed to keep your donkey in the bathtub. In San Francisco, I believe it is illegal to shoot whales from your car.

Until very recently, you couldn't call any establishment a "saloon" in New York State. It was a holdover from prohibition days. Bar and tavern were fine, but not saloon. So you had drinking establishments in Manhattan called "O'Neil's Balloon" and "Armstrong's Sal**n."

I suspect this stuff is caused by the need for laws in the US to be very specific--as opposed to being overly broad and easily abused. One gets the feeling that most of the events that led to these laws happened once, lawmakers found the events offensive and couldn't do anything to punish the perpetrators, and then, in reaction, passed laws to make sure it wouldn't happen again.

The State of California's guarantee of sunshine, I suspect, was based in whimsy and maybe a bit of self-promotion.

Paul
              paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Kansas:

You may not serve ice cream on top of cherry pie in a resturant.

Utah:

You may not wear any clothes that expose your legs higher than 1/4" above the ankle.

North Carolina:

If a man and a woman check into a hotel/motel under the same name they are automatically married by law.

Jammrock
                “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Texas:
                  • When two trains meet each other at a railroad crossing, each shall come to a full stop, and neither shall proceed until the other has gone.
                  • It is illegal to drive without windshield wipers. You don't need a windshield, but you must have the wipers.
                  • It is illegal for one to shoot a buffalo from the second story of a hotel.
                  • A recently passed anticrime law requires criminals to give their victims 24 hours notice, either orally or in writing, and to explain the nature of the crime to be committed.
                  • It is unlawful for a person to consume an alcoholic beverage while operating a motor vehicle upon a public roadway, if the person is observed doing so by a peace officer.
                  • The entire Encyclopedia Britannica is banned in Texas because it contains a formula for making beer at home.

Clarendon

It is illegal to dust any public building with a feather duster.

Dallas

It's illegal to possess realistic dildos.

Houston

- Beer may not be purchased after midnight on a Sunday, but it may be purchased on Monday.
                  - It is illegal to sell Limburger cheese on Sunday.

Lubbock County

It is illegal to drive within an arm's length of alcohol - including alcohol in someone else's blood stream.

Mesquite

It is illegal for children to have unusual haircuts.

Port Arthur

Obnoxious odors may not be emitted while in an elevator.

Richardson

It is now illegal to place a "for sale" sign on a car if it visible from the street.

San Antonio

- It is illegal for both sexes to flirt or respond to flirtation using the eyes and/or hands.
                  - It is illegal to urinate on the Alamo.

Boy, you can't do much in Texas

Jord.
                  Jordâ„¢

Comment

Utah
                    • It is illegal to detonate any nuclear weapon. You can have them, but you just can't detonate them.
                    • Birds have the right of way on all highways.
                    • A husband is responsible for every criminal act committed by his wife while she is in his presence.
                    • It is considered an offense to hunt whales. .... errrm, isn't Utah somewhere in the middle of the US?
                    • No one may have sex in the back of an ambulance if it is responding to an emergency call. ... more on that below

Monroe

Daylight must be visible between partners on a dance floor. ... Love to see the night dances

Salt Lake City

No one may walk down the street carrying a paper bag containing a violin.

Tremonton

It is illegal to have sex in a moving ambulance and if you are caught the guy is let go and the woman is punished and her name appears in the newspaper.

Trout Creek

Pharmacists may not sell gunpowder to cure headaches.

I give up

Jord.
                    Jordâ„¢

Comment

West virginia is the Real Winner...LOL

No children may attend school with their breath smelling of "wild onions."

When a railroad passes within 1 mile of a community of 100 or more people in it, they must build a station and stop there regularly to pick up and drop off passengers.

It is legal for a male to have sex with an animal as long as it does not exceed 40 lbs.

It is illegal to snooze on a train.

Doctors and dentists may not place a woman under anesthesia unless a third person is present.

According to the state constitution, it is unlawful for anyone to own a red or a black flag.

If you wear a hat inside a theater, you may be fined.

Roadkill may be taken home for supper. [Why does this law exist?]

Whistling underwater is prohibited.
                      "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

I'm really suprised that New Mexico doesn't have more Dumb laws.

State officials ordered 400 words of "sexually explicit material" to be cut from Romeo and Juliet.

*In Carrizozo

It's forbidden for a female to appear unshaven in public.

(I've driven through that town and understand completely...LOL)

*In Las Cruces

You may not carry a lunchbox down Main Street.

(Too many crack dealers...LOL)
                        "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

next town over from me still has on the books that you can flip the "bird" to a police officer as long as there is no profanity spoken with it.......

tell me that isnt funny

Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

Working...
                          X