No announcement yet.

Has anyone else built a computer with a MAX and inadvertently

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have recently taken to removing the backing plates from my slot 1 processors. I then installed my new 650E with the 450 PIII backing plate, and installed the 450 backing plate on the 600. That left a 450 with a 600 backing plate and I didn't sort this all out until the 650E and the 600 were installed with the backing plates and heat sinks attached. The 650E was a running computer and the 600 was fresh and not yet running. This meant that, without serious investigation, I couldn't correctly operate the computer which (maybe) contained the 600 until I made sure the 450 was sitting in the box with the 600 backing plate installed.

I am either correct, or I have a 450 running with a 6.0 multiplier at 112 fsb.

[This message has been edited by Brian R. (edited 07 April 2000).]

Comment

Everyone seems to have a hard time moving the damned jumpers around on IDE hd's to set it to master/slave. I remember once having to set a hd to slave from master, spending half an hour trying to remove the tiny little jumper (I cut my nails the day before), happily putting it where I though it should be going.. And it turned out to be cable select instead of slave. Had to do the quest for removing the jumper again.

Speaking of jumpers, I had no idea what the "RPC" jumper on my newly bought Pioneer DVD-303 was, so I didn't put it on. Which resulted in turning it into a region locked RPC2 drive as opposed to region free RPC1.
      Permanently. That is, until some nice fellow made a crack so that I could update it back to rpc1.

Comment

I recently put together an entire system and forgot to remove the metal pieces that cover the USB connectors on the I/O shield. If I intend to use USB, I will have to disassemble almost the entire system.

I have also forgotten to install the RAM on a new system. (Error Code: a continous loop of long beeps.)

Paul
        paulcs@flashcom.net

[This message has been edited by paulcs (edited 08 April 2000).]

Comment

Well, there was this time early on in multiple SCSI drives, before I started naming them, I formatted the working drive.
          MSI K7D Master L, Water Cooled, All SCSI
          Modded XP2000's @ 1800 (12.5 x 144 FSB)
          512MB regular Crucial PC2100
          Matrox P
          X15 36-LP Cheetahs In RAID 0
          LianLiPC70

Comment

Thanks Scompy... so it isn't only me
            Jordâ„¢

Comment

Everyone - Lets take up a collection and give fds a pair of forceps (tweasers) for his birthday.

They come in handy when you are in a hurry attaching the final drive and the last drive attach screw falls into the case, you can't find it for an hour, it is wedged inside a slot or in a memory connection and there are fifty cables, cards, processor fan wires, power wires, power supply (etc.) in the way for your fingers to reach this potential fireball (if you connect the power).

Been there, done that.

Comment

heh. I love hearing about all the stupid things that we all have done. I don't feel so bad now.

We should write a book "Idiots Guide To Computer Assembly", or a TV show "Worlds Funniest Computer Bloopers".

[This message has been edited by xippo (edited 09 April 2000).]

Comment

i spent 3 hours trying to find out why my cousin couldnt play any 3d games on his v2 only too realise that it was plugged into itself. Doh!

Lee
                  <a href="http://www.kidzdobounce.co.uk/index.htm" target="_blank">Bouncy Castle Hire Coventry Warwickshire UK</a>

Comment

Reminds me it took me two days to fix the problem of my friends voodoo who didn't want to start up the 3d.
                    Well, the voodoo was simply not connected to anything, arghhh, two days fiddling in the drivers and so on to see that the black pass-through cable was missing.
                    I'll always look behind the computer before doing anything.

Vlip

P.S: I hope I have learned something

Comment

I wonder how many of us have purchased a new part for our computer with the expectations of improving its performance. Only then to install it and find there was no improvement or actually a lowering of performance.

Sort of analogous to putting a huge carburetor on a 327 Chevy. You better have the rest of it right or blaah...

BTDT

[This message has been edited by Brian R. (edited 10 April 2000).]

Comment

Working...
                      X