Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stupid Stupid Stupid!!! If it ain't broke don't fix it!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid Stupid Stupid!!! If it ain't broke don't fix it!!!

When will I ever learn that damn lesson!?!

My system was working fine with PDesk 5.3 after I manually assined my IRQ's and forced AGP 1X and used the AGP Util to force it too. Then I tried (this morning) like an idiot to change drivers and see if I can get it to work with PDesk 5.41. Now neither one works!!!!!!! Is it human nature to feel the need to #uck $hit up or is it just me? DAMN!!!

Any ideas how I can fix the card (or my tendency to break $hit)? It freezes with any type of 3d app. It seems to run forever though if I use IE or desktop or all non 3d crap.

Dimitri

Oh, and my freakin Athlon is sittin in IL for over a week now cause UPS is filled with a bunch of morons!!!

------------------
    MSI K7-PRO (110 version)
    G400 MAX
    196 Megs PC100 RAM
    20 gig Maxtor
    6 gig WD
    DVD-ROM (2nd gen)
    RealMagic Hollywood + DVD decoder
    32X cd-rom
    Crappy sound card (with a GREAT stereo )
    All I need is a FREAKIN processor!!!!! (and another excuse to suck at UT [c'mon people, keep em rolling ])

New Excuse: My shift key get's stuck. That's why I die....

[This message has been edited by Muad'Dib (edited 05 March 2000).]
    "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: His eyes are closed"
    --- Albert Einstein

"Drag racing is for people that don't know how to brake and downshift at the same time."

My condolences, Dimitri...

Let's be silent for a minute...

Jord.
    Jordâ„¢

Comment

Thanks Jorden, but any ANSWERS would be appreciated.... I've had my silence already and have had my patience finally almost depleted.... It's going out the window soon (not the MAX, but the rest of the computer)... Maybe I'll just go out the window. No more breaking things... Why oh why do I do such STUPID things....

Ok, answers people. Let's figure this one out now.....

Dimitri
      "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: His eyes are closed"
      --- Albert Einstein

"Drag racing is for people that don't know how to brake and downshift at the same time."

Comment

Okay Dimitri,

Have you tried removing all traces of Powerdesk? Uninstalling it etc.?

The reinstalling PD 5.30.

you might want to reinstall your DX version as well...

Jord.
        Jordâ„¢

Comment

just finished doing that again. Will try looping a 3d app for a while. Let you know how it goes.... No Go!

[This message has been edited by Muad'Dib (edited 06 March 2000).]
          --- Albert Einstein

Comment

Hmm.. you could always try the new PD5.52 for DirectX7. Those work very well as far as I've seen and heard.

Comment

Hey Rylan, I just finished posting this to you over at AMDZONE. I guess you beat me to it. hehe Oh well. Nevermind that one then. I'll try the 5.52 I guess and let you know how that works.

Dimitri
              --- Albert Einstein

Comment

hi,

Questions you problably answered before but just in case :
                - Do you have the latest patches from AMD for: AGP miniport, BusMastering and IRQ?
                - How good is your power supply?
                - How good are your RAM?
                - Is USB enabled?
                - Is this a clean install of windows, and which windows?

Z

Comment

When you use the Matrox uninstaller, it wipes out any powerdesk registry hacks you have made. Go back and force agp1x. Maybe it'll help.

And with AMD about to announce the 1G Athlon tomorrow, your Athlon that is stuck in IL is out of date before you even receive it. I bought a Athlon 700 back in November when it was the top of the line item, and now they are less than half the price I paid in less than 4 months. Maybe I'll learn to stay on the trailing edge of technology next time.

Comment

Zwisch - yes;yes;yes
                    - not good, but it WAS working before driver change....
                    - generic pc100, but as I said, it DID work....
                    - yes, Win 98 S.E.

Anything else?

Dimitri
                    --- Albert Einstein

Comment

I'd just like to lend some support. I also can't seem to stop myself from playing around with things. A few weeks ago I had a very bad night, couldn't get the thing to post no matter what I did. I messed around removing and replacing cards for at least two hours. Swore if I got it working I'd never play around inside the box again.

When I woke up the next morning I remembered my Matrox emergency disk and decided to reflash the Matrox BIOS. Booted right up.

Now I'm already playing again, trying to get a second recalcitrant DIMM to work when I should just send it back for exchange or refund. Yet I keep playing with it...

------------------
                      PIII 500e @667
                      Soyo SY6BA+IV
                      Iwill Slotket II
                      G400 32MB Max
                      Nokia 445Xi 21"
                      and POS 14"
                      Aureal Vortex Superquad
                      128MB PC133
                      IBM DPTA 20.5GB 7200rpm
                      Toshiba 8/40 DVD
                      PIII 500e @667
                      Soyo SY6BA+IV
                      Iwill Slotket II
                      G400 32MB Max
                      Nokia 445Xi 21"
                      and POS 14"
                      Aureal Vortex Superquad
                      256MB PC133
                      IBM DPTA 20.5GB 7200rpm
                      Toshiba 8/40 DVD

Comment

hey Muad'dib,
                        you may want to try reloading dx7 AFTER installing the new drivers, sometimes that helps much
                        jim

despite the "mini" tag, I am not

------------------
                        Abit BE6 with P3 500 @ 5*124=620
                        14.6 gb Maxtor ata66 and 128mb ram
                        G400 vanilla 32mb @ 168/210
                        Sblive with Altec Lansing speaker combo
                        384k DSL and Realtek nic
                        Windows 98se with DX7a
                        3dMark2000 = 2956
                        Worn out reset button :O)

PIII-500mhz @ 620 ! with an Abit BE6 mobo
                        128mb pc-100 cas 2
                        Mill G400 (vanilla!!!) 32mb @ 167/208 with MGATweak-417mhz, (2.5, 2, 2.5), PD 5.5010 & bios 1.5-22
                        Maxtor 14.3 gb Uata66 hdd
                        SB Live!
                        Winblows 98se & DX7
                        and 384k DSL!

Comment

"Oh, and my freakin Athlon is sittin in IL for over a week now cause UPS is filled with a bunch of morons!!!"

You'd just better make SURE it's still there! UPS has a reputation for its employees "babysitting" boxes by keeping them in their houses... if you get my drift.

(I thought this was just a rumor started by a disgruntled customer until I noticed that stuff that UPS reported lost was invariably expensive equipment I had sent. Good thing that, as a hardware tech for a big company, all the stuff I sent back was almost always broken. It's funny how the broken or cheap stuff always seemed to "show up," after being lost, while the expensive or unbroken stuff "stayed lost." Of course, this is based on literally thousands of packages sent - I'd say your individual chances of getting hit are very small.)

Bill
                          People call me a computer god; I remind them that I am merely a minor deity...

Comment

Thanks for the encourage ment bilko. Much appreciated.... No, apperantly this package has been
                            ROUTED INCORRECTLY AT UPS FACILITY;PKG HAS BEEN REROUTED TO DESTINATION ANAHEIM CA 03/06/2000 07:19:14 A.M.
                            I've yet to see it though. It had better be here by tonight.

Dimitri

------------------
                            MSI K7-PRO (110 version)
                            G400 MAX
                            196 Megs PC100 RAM
                            20 gig Maxtor
                            6 gig WD
                            DVD-ROM (2nd gen)
                            RealMagic Hollywood + DVD decoder
                            32X cd-rom
                            Crappy sound card (with a GREAT stereo )
                            All I need is a FREAKIN processor!!!!! (and another excuse to suck at UT [c'mon people, keep em rolling ])

New Excuse: My shift key get's stuck. That's why I die....

[This message has been edited by Muad'Dib (edited 07 March 2000).]
                            --- Albert Einstein

Comment

hah u think u had it bad in the space of a month i have broken:
                              psu
                              motherboard
                              hardrive

oh how overdue is your package ??/
                              my dhl was loast once sent again

which then took 2 weeks 2 arrive !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------
                              P2 333 (not o/c yet <G&gt
                              128mb 66mhz sdram
                              gigabyte bx2000
                              matrox g400 max (not o/c
                              P3 600e @ 660 (6*110)
                              128mb 100mhz sdram
                              abit be6-2
                              Radeon 32ddr (biding time till the g800
                              voodoo 3 2000 pci (166)
                              soundblaster 16pci
                              4.3gb seagate udma 33