Anyone tried 89MHZ AGP bus before?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone tried 89MHZ AGP bus before?

Has anyone used a Matrox card on an 89MHZ AGP bus? How does it react? Playable? Can it get 2x??

-neo

------------------
    Asus P2B-F, 532MHZ Pentium II (4x133 at 2.4v), Global Win VEK12 hs/fan, 128MB Micron PC133, Maxtor 4GB, SB AWE 32, Creative DVD 2x, Mitsumi CDR 2x/8x, Sony Trinitron 17", Old Matrox Video Card, and a redhead with a pair of 36Cs (O/Ced to 38Cs)

Yea, I went all the way upto 150Mhz FSB, but I lose AGP2x at 124Mhz, I even have to force AGP2x at that FSB... but with AGP1x I get to 150Mhz FSB and it runs like a charm....

Craig
    P2B, 128Mb PC100, Millenium G200 16Mb SGRAM

Comment

I'm running my Celeron-333 at 416 MHz (5 x 83 MHz) on a Chaintech 6BTM mainboard. My AGP bus is running at 83 MHz with a 1:1 divider.

I'm able to do AGP x2 without forcing it and my system's been working very stable for several months now.
      G200 8MB, celeron333@416 on chaintech 6BTM

Comment

Thanks for your replies, it will be helpful in my current decision. By the way, does anyone have experience with the high AGP port speed on a (dare I say it) TNT2 card? With the recent delays I may be a waning customer that decides to go for a TNT2 for lack of a better option at this time. BTW, check out my new CPU speed in my profile. In the words of Austin Powers "yeah baby....yeah!"

-neo

------------------
        Asus P2B-F, 532MHZ Pentium II (4x133 at 2.4v), Global Win VEK12 hs/fan, 128MB Micron PC133, Maxtor 4GB, SB AWE 32, Creative DVD 2x, Mitsumi CDR 2x/8x, Sony Trinitron 17", Old Matrox Video Card, and a redhead with a pair of 36Cs (O/Ced to 38Cs)

Comment

Neo, I believe the TNT2 has the same problem with High AGP as the Matrox products, except more so, they don't test the buss and therefore Won't fall back... Many users on other Msg. boards have reported that even 124MhzFSB gave them problems till they disabled AGP2x... and there are those running it upto the 133Mhz FSB, but again, No AGP2x....

Craig
          P2B, 128Mb PC100, PII333@434(124FSB), Matrox Milenium G200 16Mb SGRAM

Comment

How significant is the jump from AGP 2x and 1x? From what I've heard the difference doesn't justify changing my FSB speed, epecially if I'm only going to be running 1024x768 on most games. I really like my 133MHZ FSB, it gives me a 33MHZ bus and is rock stable (prime95 for 7 hours). I'm pleased with the card just working so far out of spec, I didn't want to be forced to buy one of the evil voodoo3's!!

Many thanks!
            -neo

------------------

Comment

When I use 133MHz and try to run 3DMark2000 the program crashes after 1 minute or so... What should I do in the bios? I'm running with 256MB AGP at 2/3 FSB.

Using a Abit BE6-II with PIII650@865
              MaXi

Comment

Well what is your AGP running at??
                3Dmark is quitte good for testing and stressing AGP (maybe all it is good for)

If you are running AGP2x then switch down to 1x, if you are already running 1x then try slowing down your Memory, to like CAS3 (if it was CAS2)

and if it still doesn't work, and if games do work then it might just be 3Dmark.. Or it could be your CPU not working perfectly at this speed...

You are up there in the O/C, so it could be the CPU, or even the Mobo, or Memory.. lots of things contribute to unstable O/C'ed systems )

Craig
                1.3 Taulatin @1600 - Watercooled, DangerDen waterblock, Enhiem 1046 pump, 8x6x2 HeaterCore Radiator - Asus TUSL2C - 256 MB Corsair PC150 - G400 DH 32b SGR - IBM 20Gb 75GXP HDD - InWin A500

Comment

My AGP is running at 89MHz and my memory should be at CAS3 all of it... It's also 133MHz memory I've got installed.

Setting AGP to 1x? Is it done in Windows, with that reg hack? Or can that be done in the bios?

If I should take the next step down at clocking? What would be the next normal thing? 124? The great thing about running 133MHz is that I've set the PCI FSB to 1/4.
                  MaXi

Comment

I've posted the same info in another thread...

I have a Soyo Sy6BA+IV. I've run botha vanilla and Max. Both are perfectly stable up to 92mhz. Above that up to 100mhz they lock up when 3dmark2000 is run, but are perfectly stable for 2d apps, like Office and AOL. I don't know whether the limit is the G400 or the BX chip set, but it's somewhere in the AGP bus.

Even at 150fsb I get 2x and sidebanding automatically. I'm not too eager to disable these. ANy way other than going into the registry? I generally run at 133fsb anyway.

One note: AGP speed appears to have no impact on the overclockability of the card itself.
                    PIII 500e @667
                    Soyo SY6BA+IV
                    Iwill Slotket II
                    G400 32MB Max
                    Nokia 445Xi 21"
                    and POS 14"
                    Aureal Vortex Superquad
                    256MB PC133
                    IBM DPTA 20.5GB 7200rpm
                    Toshiba 8/40 DVD

Comment

Where is that AGP 1/2 FSB when I need it!!!
                      MaXi

Comment

Well to try and force AGP1x you have to use the Reg Hacks....
                        I've gotten my Card, as mentioned above upto the 100Mhz AGP bus level, I'm prolly pretty lucky and this is on a BX board so only 2/3 is avalible...

I would try the AGP1x and see what happens, I wouldn't rely on benchmarks too much, it's more important that the Games and Apps you run, run well...
                        IF AGP1x solves the problem and the system is completely stable, then find out if the switch down affects the apps you use... For me it doesn't effect me, but then again I run 124Mhz FSB as the norm..
                        434Mhz is better than the 375 150MhzFSB gives my P2-333... and I run the PCI at 41Mhz, runs great )

Good luck
                        Craig
                        BTW the Newer VIA Apolo Pro has the 1/2 AGP divider, but tests have shown that the Mobo's currently avalible are actually slower than BX boards....
                        1.3 Taulatin @1600 - Watercooled, DangerDen waterblock, Enhiem 1046 pump, 8x6x2 HeaterCore Radiator - Asus TUSL2C - 256 MB Corsair PC150 - G400 DH 32b SGR - IBM 20Gb 75GXP HDD - InWin A500

Comment

OK, thanks for the help, I'll try that AGP1x thing and if 3DMark2000 crashes again, but my games run, well fu.. that then

MaXi

Comment

Update to my previous posts.

I had someone email me who had same CPU and MB, and he said he was stable at 96mhz.

I'd had lock-ups at 93 and 100, but I'd never tested 96, figuring if 93 doesn't work...

But I gave 96mhz a try anyway. Guess what, it's a lot more stable than 93 for some reason. But still not rock solid like 92 and under. At 96 it makes it through the various 3d benchmarks about 75% of the time.

I just ran through 3dmark2000 (3243), 3dmark99 max (7344), and 3d winmark (38.7)without a lock-up (default resolutions). This is with 2x and sideband enabled and my Max at 157.5/210 (higher produces some artifacts in 3dmark2000). So it's very close...

Which makes the usual 89 even more worry free.

[This message has been edited by mkaresh (edited 10 February 2000).]

[This message has been edited by mkaresh (edited 10 February 2000).]
                            PIII 500e @667
                            Soyo SY6BA+IV
                            Iwill Slotket II
                            G400 32MB Max
                            Nokia 445Xi 21"
                            and POS 14"
                            Aureal Vortex Superquad
                            256MB PC133
                            IBM DPTA 20.5GB 7200rpm
                            Toshiba 8/40 DVD

Comment

Did he use any special cooling or was it just the standard reatil heatsink? I CPU gets about 51 degress hot when I use it much.
                              MaXi

Comment

Working...
                              X