Clear All

• G400 and SBLive Crashes

I've installed all three sets of drivers for the G400 and had stability
    issues right from the start. The primary stability issues were Explorer
    crashes and occasional BSOD entering or exiting any OpenGL application. No
    problems in D3D.

Also, exit from standby would frequently crash the desktop. Although each
    newer driver version was better the crashes continued. I've combed the
    registry, removed all the Nvidia elements from the previous TNT2 Ultra card,
    and the G400 has been set up perfectly. The crashes are definitely a driver
    issue. This system was 100% rock stable before replacing a TNT2Ultra with
    the G400MAX.

I noticed that on some non-fatal Explorer crashes, the memory range
    reflected in the Windows dialog box describing the crash reflected a range
    on memory used by the SBLive.

I found two things that, once changed, have totally eliminated the crashed.
    1) Turn the DOS real mode SBLive driver off and rem out the driver in the
    autoexec.bat file (slight improvement). 2) I found that having the
    environmental audio effects turned on with the SBlive would also cause
    crashes and various stability issues with the G400. Changing the setting to
    "No Effects" made a huge improvement.

Once both these changes were made the crashes are 100% eliminated. The
    system goes into and comes out of standby flawlessly and OpenGL, D3D, and
    Windows business applications and games can be used all day with no
    stability issues. This system is never turned off and I have actually gone
    three days without a single crash, BSOD, or restart since arriving at the
    current setup.

My system:
    Asus P3b-F -Pentium 3 500 at 550 MHz
    Lots of cooling... heat not an issue
    G400M DH not overclocked (yet)
    256 Megs Corsair 133 SDRAM
    SB Live Value (with Livewire 2.1 update)
    3Com 3c900XL (with newest "minimum install" drivers, 2/99 flavor)
    Seagate Medallist Pro 7200 RPM 9.2 GB
    Hitachi 2500 DVD CD-ROM
    Winblows 98 (not SE)

G400 Performance in OpenGL
    Quake 2 at 1024, 32 bit with the normal GL_ settings and vsynch off
    Demo1.dm2 = 62 FPS
    Crusher.dm2 = 37 FPS
    Massive1.dm2 = 58 FPS

I don't miss the TNT2 performance numbers as much now...
    TNT2 Ultra performance at 190 MHz core with the same Quake 2 settings
    Demo1.dm2 = 80FPS
    Crusher.dm2 = 54 FPS
    Massive1.dm2 = 72 FPS

One more "good" driver improvement and the G400 will be right alongside the
    TNT2 in performance in OpenGL... and equally as stable. Plus... at my normal
    1280 x 1024 desktop resolution on a Sony 21" GDM-F500 monitor... I can
    actually see things with the G400 that the TNT2 kind of fuzzied up.....

------------------
    Bob Doran
    Intel-AMD Products Dealer
    Cyberdyne Systems
    Bob Doran
    Cyberdyne Systems

got the same problem with my comp too

Comment

I use a Live!value.
      DOS SB support enabled.
      Don't use any desktop environmental settings, but do use whatever environmental stuff is available in games.
      System is on 24/7, going in and out of standby mode regularly.
      And totaly stable. The only reboots I do are when I want to switch Multi-mon on/off.

------------------
      P2-450(112*4.5=504), Asus P2B (1010), 128meg pc100, MillenniumG400 32meg DH (5.??), 3com 3c905b-tx, SB Live!value, Dual USR 56k Sporsters, WB 8.4&6.4 UDMA, CL PC-DVD, Mistumi CD-RW
      Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

I'm going to try the real mode driver re-enabled to see if it makes a difference now that the environmental stuff in Win98 is turned off. I'd be interested in your results with the environmental effects on if you get a chance. I was using the Quake2 3D effect setting FYI.

------------------
        Bob Doran
        Cyberdyne Systems
        Bob Doran
        Cyberdyne Systems

Comment

Well, I enabled the Q2 environmental preset.
          Ran around a q2map, then ran a few timedemos.

No problems yet.
          I'll leave it set like this for a while, and see what happens...
          Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Are you using the Livewire version 2.1 update. Maybe I need to roll the SBlive driver back to 1.0.

------------------
            Bob Doran
            Cyberdyne Systems
            Bob Doran
            Cyberdyne Systems

Comment

Yes... Liveware 2.1 here....

Comment

can i get a Cyberdyne Systems model 101 ?

------------------
                I think I need help. I'm not sure what do you think, do I need help?
                msi 6167 mobo k7 500 wk41 now at 650. 256 meg ram ,addtronics case w 250watt sp power supply, matrox g400, maxtor diammax 2500+ 10gig hd,10x aopen slot dvd, 3com 10/100 nic, sb live xgamer sound card, efecent networks dsl modem, dlink 701i dsl router/firewall, lots of controlers (joystick throttle rudder raceing wheel), 19in ctx monitor, logitech mouseman wheel usb, and klipsch promedia v2-400 speakers. win98 oem and win2k pro dual boot.

noel
                it's times like this that make me think of my fathers last words....

Don't son that gun is loaded.

Comment

Huh... Looks like a little regression testing is in order for me. There goes the afternoon.

------------------
                  Bob Doran
                  Cyberdyne Systems
                  Bob Doran
                  Cyberdyne Systems

Comment

Sorry, the Cyberdyne Systems model 101 is reserved..... and yes that is a great movie.
                    Bob Doran
                    Cyberdyne Systems

Comment

cyber you probibly get that alot working where you do. hehe.

------------------
                      I think I need help. I'm not sure what do you think, do I need help?
                      msi 6167 mobo k7 500 wk41 now at 650. 256 meg ram ,addtronics case w 250watt sp power supply, matrox g400, maxtor diammax 2500+ 10gig hd,10x aopen slot dvd, 3com 10/100 nic, sb live xgamer sound card, efecent networks dsl modem, dlink 701i dsl router/firewall, lots of controlers (joystick throttle rudder raceing wheel), 19in ctx monitor, logitech mouseman wheel usb, and klipsch promedia v2-400 speakers. win98 oem and win2k pro dual boot.

noel
                      it's times like this that make me think of my fathers last words....

Don't son that gun is loaded.

Comment

...From some correspondence I copied:>>Any apllication/game/techDemo/wintune etc. abnormally ends without any
                        >>error message as soon as it tries to call Direct3D.
                        >>
                        >>My computer is running Win 98 SE ( Abit BE6 - PIII 450 - SB Live! - Matrox
                        >>G400 with latest drivers 5.21 )
                        >>
                        >>I noticed that before I upgraded the system to Win 98 SE, everything was
                        >>working fine. ( I had Win 98 First release + DirectX 6.1 )
                        >>
                        >>Either the problem comes from DirectX 6.1A included in Win 98 SE or it
                        comes
                        >>from the Matrox Drivers ( the latest 5.21 ) which may be not compatible
                        >>
                        >>Is there any fix for this ? please help
                        ------------------------
                        > There is a possibility the problem comes from the installation of the
                        > SBLive! drivers since a known issue with the PIII & DX6.1 was fixed in
                        > Win98SE. I know that the Liveware installation can screw 6.1 with its
                        > but I can't say I noticed it doing so on a recent Win98SE/Sblive!
                        > build.
                        >
                        > Check out the following anyway:
                        >
                        > Go into your C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VMM32 and see if the version of
                        > VMCPD.VXD is 4.10.1413. If so, DX6.1 has overwritten the original and
                        > this can cause a problem with the PIII's floating point system.
                        >
                        > You must extract the driver of the same name from the Win98 CD which
                        > carries the version 4.10.1998. Reboot and everything should work okay
                        > - if this has been the problem.
                        > Regards
                        > Graham
                        ------------------------
                        Many thanks Graham,

The problem was effectively in VMCPD.VXD ( I found the 4.10.1413 version
                        instead of 4.10.2222)
                        I've restored it from Win98_50.cab and now everything is OK !

So, guys from Creative Labs, please don't touch the Windows files, they
                        contain already enough bugs ...

========================

Happy trails,

------------------
                        P2-450;256MB PC100;Asus P2B;16MB G200 Mystique 5.21,2.6; 12MB CL Voodoo2;CL SB Live Full(LW2.1); ViewSonic 17PS; 10GB Maxtor 7200RPM UDMA2;3.2GB Quantum FB ST UDMA2;CL 2X Encore DVD-ROM kit;USR 5686 External Sportster V.90;Win98 SP1;DX6.1;IE5a etc.

P2-450;256MB PC100;Asus P2B (bios 1011);16MB G200 Mystique 5.52,2.6; 12MB CL Voodoo2;CL SB Live Full(LW3.0); ViewSonic 17PS-2; 10GB Maxtor 7200RPM UDMA2;3.2GB Quantum FB ST UDMA2;CL 2X Encore DVD-ROM kit;USR 5686 External Sportster V.90;Win98 SP1;DirectX 7.0a;IE5.01 etc.

Comment

I read about the vmcpd.vxd issue last week and it's not a problem on my system.

I did find something else though. The SBLive install places a line in the autoexec.bat with real mode hardware settings including IRQ, DMA, and memory ranges. The line on my machine is "SET BLASTER=A240 I5 D3 H7 P330 T6"

I found that that Winblows had decided to rearrange the SBLive DOS emulation hardware settings (in Device Manager, Creative SB16 Emulation, Resources) to an IRQ different than that originally set up on SBLive installation, as specified in the autoexec.bat file.

I went to BIOS and assigned the IRQ for the SBLive, let Windows reboot and reconfigure the PnP IRQ arrangement to coincide with the BIOS settings, then rebooted and turned of the PnP Operating system "yes" setting in BIOS to permanently lock down the hardware settings for the SBLive.

So far, with about two hours of testing, not a single crash, with both the real mode driver for SB emulation enabled, and the Environmental Audio enabled using the Quake2 3D setting......

------------------
                          Bob Doran
                          Cyberdyne Systems
                          Bob Doran
                          Cyberdyne Systems

Comment

No problems with SB Live 2.1 and G400 Max driver Version 1.15 and Win 98SE, PIII 600 on ASUS P3B-F motherboard.

One thing I have done is placed the SB live card in PCI slot 2 and had BIOS assigned IRQ 10 to it.

Everything else is per the standard installation for the software.

The above may help

PCH

Comment

Cyber ..woooohoooooo . congrats for your F500 , i have one too and THEY RULE !

Comment

Working...
                              X