WARNING WARNING Everyone read this!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WARNING WARNING Everyone read this!

If you use Outlook, IE or possibly even just Windows, you will want to install this patch.

http://www.wired.com/news/news/techn...ory/21459.html

This is IMPORTANT.

Well I wouldn't say IMPORTANT, because it was discovered by a dedicated group of researchers.
    I mean, while those security hole descriptions always sound easy after being found, have you ever heard anyone using that backdoor? Mostly those bugs found in Microsoft products are indeed found by researchers and not some greasy hair hackers. So they are patched before misused.
    Or don't you agree that if that bug is present in 95 too, some hacker would have already found it if it was easy in any way?

_
    B

Comment

By some peoples definition of a hacker, that 'dedicated group of researchers' would be considered hackers. They hacked around the code/deadlisting and found a problem, then disclosed it and hopefully found a way to patch it. Oh, and some hackers use Pert Plus

-The-Rev-

P.S. Instead of everyone posting these warnings I see so often on forums, why not just post a link to BugTraq (http://www.securityfocus.com/) and some good anti-virus like AVP (www.avp.com). Then the user would know about the 100s of serious exploits found monthly. It would save alot of time and spam to the forum.

Comment

The only justification I'm going to give is this:
        o This is the most serious security hole that has appeared this year, it affects an enormous number of users.
        o Researchers may have found the hole but that won't stop hackers exploiting it.
        o I've been posting here for more than a year, there are plenty of people on this board that I like and I wanted to make sure they knew.

Arron.

Comment

Arron - Thanks a lot for the link.

B

Comment

Yeah, but like I was tryting to say, it doesn't matter how dangerous it is if it's been out there from IE4.0 (read: for years) and no-one has discovered it until now. Meaning that indeed needs a dedicated team of researches to find it that most 'evil spirits' don't have resources for (obviously because it hasn't been exploited yet).

I'm sure that's not the only hole of that magnitude, but why worry if it's so well 'hidden' that no-one knows about it?

_
            B

Comment

Anyhow thanks for the info.

_
              B

Comment

Netscape forever!!!

(per the article, we NS loyalists are immune... but I won't gloat... much... )

I have to agree with Buuri, though.... although this bug sounds like it could practically cause the Apocalypse, one can't help but notice that it hasn't. We didn't hear about this the way we did about Melissa-- after the weapon was used. We heard about it because there was a fix available.

And don't forget MS lies... oh, all right, "obscures the truth". Why would they tell us about such a terrible security breach, even if they had fixed it? It doesn't make them look very smart... but it <u>does</u> scare users enough to get that new Java VM onto their hard drives... and what else does it do? what other Java protocols does it overwrite? Always expect MS to have reasons within reasons...

Thank you for your vigilance, and your warning, Arron.

-----------------------------
                the once and future motub

Comment

Bah. Netscape sucks (duck). It's slow (dodge). IE Forever! (ouch, got me).

But really, both of them are pretty crappy. I've been meaning to try Opera, but who's got the time?

--
                  Andrew

[This message has been edited by agallag (edited 08-27-1999).]
                  Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

I'm using Opera 3.6 and IE 5.0 in win2k and 98.

IE for online bank services and flash-sites
                    Opera for news/review browsing

A perfect combination!

Opera is 2 times faster on the download and 10 times faster on the GFX. Interessting features too.

Ok enough blurb (saturday night blurb)

Cheers!

Comment

One wonders why the download is 6.3 Mb when the file causing it is a kernel .dll file about 150 k big

Jord.
                      Jordâ„¢

Comment

I agree Netscape forever.Slow I don't think so.On a cable modem like I have it's a h*ll
                        of alot faster than IE5.

<marquee behavior="slide" loop="10" marquee align="bottom" bgcolor="white"
                        <font color="#FF0000" size="2" face="Comic Sans MS"><em><strong>sixpac</strong></em></font></marquee>

<marquee behavior="slide" loop="10" marquee align="bottom" bgcolor="white"
                        <font color="#0000FF" size="1" face="Comic Sans MS"><em><strong>Amd K6-2 350@452,Fic 503+1.2a,64mb pc100 Mushkin Samsung GH cas2,G200 8mb Sgram,Maxtor 8.4gb,Yamaha Sound</strong></em></font></marquee>

Amd K6-2 350@452,Fic 503+1.2a,64mb pc100 Mushkin Samsung GH cas2,G200 8mb Sgram,Maxtor 8.4gb,Yamaha Sound

Comment

d/led the java thing.... win98, v.90 modem and started with 16.5k/sec.
                          It slowed down to 6.5k/sec at 90% downloading... slow??? NO !!!
                          (Meaning NS4.61 )

[This message has been edited by Jorden (edited 08-29-1999).]
                          Jordâ„¢

Comment

Not slow to bring up pages, slow to load. IE5 loads in 1 second on my machine. Netscape is closer to 30. *shrug* of course if you leave it running all the time.

Plus Netscape is just broken on a variety of pages, and is HUGE, and has a lousy interface, and...

- Ash

------------------
                            Portions of this message may have been Copyright 1999, Jorden van der Elst. All rights (and lefts) reserved.
                            ------------------------
                            Specs? You want specs? Yeah. Alright you primitive screwheads, listen up. See this? This is my boomstick! It's a twelve gauge double barreled Remington, S-Mart's top-of-the-line. You can find this in the sporting goods department. That's right this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids Michigan. Retails for about $109.95. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop Smart. Shop S-mart. Ya got that?! Now I swear, the next one of you primates, even touches me...

Comment

Yup, actually both take forever to startup. Netscape is definitely slower loading on my setup, and loads pages slower. I was hoping Netscape could make a better browser than MS. Maybe someday.

Rags

------------------
                              Some people call me the Space Cowboy.....

Comment

Working...
                              X