Unreal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unreal

A friend of mine has given me Unreal to try.
    He said "It's awesome! It has a wonderfull graphic!".

Well, I must have eye-problem...
    Where is the good graphic?
    Sat on a pile of deads, I enjoy my oysters.

It's at the start over the left door behind the small goat.

Comment

Originally posted by Drizzt:
      Well, I must have eye-problem...
      nah ... only a setup problem ...
      Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
      Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
      be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
      4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
      2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
      OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
      4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
      Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
      Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
      LG BH10LS38
      LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

Drizzt, Maggi is right, it's probably just a configuration problem. The first thing you need to do is download the latest patch from unreal.epicgames.com . It's version 226f.

Next, you need to start up the game, go into advanced options, and change the rendering method from "software" to "Direct3d".

Now you have pretty graphics.

Good Luck
        Ian
        Primary System:
        MSI 745 Ultra, AMD 2400+ XP, 1024 MB Crucial PC2100 DDR SDRAM, Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro, 3Com 3c905C NIC,
        120GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, 60 GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, Pioneer DVD 105S, BenQ 12x24x40 CDRW, SB Audigy OEM,
        Win XP, MS Intellimouse Optical, 17" Mag 720v2
        Seccondary System:
        Epox 7KXA BIOS 5/22, Athlon 650, 512 MB Crucial 7E PC133 SDRAM, Hercules Prophet 4500 Kyro II, SBLive Value,
        3Com 3c905B-TX NIC, 40 GB IBM UDMA 100 HD, 45X Acer CD-ROM,
        Win XP, MS Wheel Mouse Optical, 15" POS Monitor
        Tertiary system
        Offbrand PII Mobo, PII 350, 256MB PC100 SDRAM, 15GB UDMA66 7200RPM Maxtor HD, USRobotics 10/100 NIC, RedHat Linux 8.0
        Camera: Canon 10D DSLR, Canon 100-400L f4.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon 100 Macro USM Canon 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon Speedlite 200E, tripod, bag, etc.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology will be indistinguishable from magic." --Arthur C. Clarke

Comment

Hi Ian,

two suggestions:
          [*] skip 226, but use the last 225f instead as it gives you better performance[*] use OpenGL to have really pretty graphics

Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
          Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
          be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
          4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
          2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
          OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
          4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
          Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
          Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
          LG BH10LS38
          LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

Unreal was Quake 2's competitor. Really old. Graphics are good but the latest games out today are ALOT better looking.
            C:\DOS
            C:\DOS\RUN
            \RUN\DOS\RUN

Comment

It's been a while, but if I remember correctly there is a built-in Time Demo for Unreal.
              Go to the console (~ key)
              Type "timedemo1" (without quotes) and hit Enter.
              I think that's all you need to do. The demo loops indefinitely until you go back to the console again and type "timedemo0". You should let the demo run at least 3 loops to get a good average.

My rig: P4 3.0GHz; Asus P4C800E; 1GB DDR 3200; AIW Radeon 9800 Pro; WD 120GB SATA; Plextor DVD burner; Liteon DVD reader; Audigy 2ZS; Logitech Z560 4.1; NEC FE991SB

Kid's rig: AMD XP 1600+; 512MB ram; GF4 Ti4600; Maxtor 60GB; Plextor CD burner; Sony DVD reader; SB Live; Cambridge 4.1 speakers; NEC FE991SB

Other kid's rig: Athlon 2700+; ASUS A7N8X mobo; 512MB PC3200 ram; GF4 Ti4600; Maxtor 80GB; SB Live; Cambridge 2.1; NEC FE991SB; Liteon DVD-ROM

Comment

I've found it!
                Well, you were right. The graphic is really good.

Have you got some suggestion on how to setup it to have good performance and quality (in D3D)?

Comment

For short commands I use the TAB key. You don't need the console.

Comment

Very few people use OpenGL for Unreal - the vast majority use D3D so you may be out of luck for your OGL issues.
                    As far as the waterfall is concerned, I too experienced that problem (in D3D) and never was able to get rid of it (other than running in Glide with my Voodoo Banshee card). Fortunately, that was one of the very few areas that I ever noticed the artifact -- similar to the UT z-buffer problem that was finally fixed (mostly) in the latest versions.

For Half-Life (recommend OGL) there may indeed be something you can do to fix that problem -- not exactly familiar with what you discribe. I believe there is an FAQ here on config settings -- if not, do a search because I know there has been lots of good info in these forums on HL. Just off hand, you might play with gl_polyoffset value (affects flickering of decals) or gl_texsort on/off.

Good Luck

[This message has been edited by Beezer (edited 22 December 2000).]
                    My rig: P4 3.0GHz; Asus P4C800E; 1GB DDR 3200; AIW Radeon 9800 Pro; WD 120GB SATA; Plextor DVD burner; Liteon DVD reader; Audigy 2ZS; Logitech Z560 4.1; NEC FE991SB

Kid's rig: AMD XP 1600+; 512MB ram; GF4 Ti4600; Maxtor 60GB; Plextor CD burner; Sony DVD reader; SB Live; Cambridge 4.1 speakers; NEC FE991SB

Other kid's rig: Athlon 2700+; ASUS A7N8X mobo; 512MB PC3200 ram; GF4 Ti4600; Maxtor 80GB; SB Live; Cambridge 2.1; NEC FE991SB; Liteon DVD-ROM

Comment

I do not find advanced option... ^_^;

Comment

Yes, those OGL problems may never be fixed. The latest 226 patch for Unreal brings Unreal to somewhere in the 4.x ver (4.13???)for Unreal Tournament. Unfortunately The Loki OGL driver that finally brings Unreal Tournament into the game with almost all problems fixed + Compressed Textures doesn't work with such an old ver of Unreal.
                        C:\DOS
                        C:\DOS\RUN
                        \RUN\DOS\RUN

Comment

Working...
                        X