Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To play 32-bit games, desktop must be 32-bit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To play 32-bit games, desktop must be 32-bit?

Is this true? I dislike changing my color depth even if I can change it instantly. My refresh and center gets changed. My DVD player has to be in 16-bit colors, and my desktop is faster in 16-bit than 32-bit colors. I would like to play games in 32-bit colors, but this is a hassle.

I have a Matrox G400 32 MB. Thank you in advance for replies.
    Ant @ The Ant Farm (http://antfarm.ma.cx)

It doesnt matter whether your desktop is in
    16/32 bit...it all depends on what you choose
    in the game options.
    P3-450 o/c 558
    Abit BH6
    128 PC100
    G400 SH 32M o/c MAX spex
    SB Live X-Gamer
    Pioneer 6X DVD
    Maxtor 10 Gig H.D.
    Fujitsu 13 Gig H.D.
    Win98 SE
    Samsung Synchmaster 17"
    Logitech C/L Mouse/Kybrd
    Altec Lansing ACS56
    oh yea! and a 3M Precise
    Mouse pad!!

Comment

I forgot to mention that sometimes I get user.exe IPF after a video change that failed. Isn't this weird?

Comment

Caprice is a little off. I know it definitely matters for GLQuake, and I think Quake2. I've had problems with HL if the bpp didn't match. I can't speak for anything else.
        However, with PowerDesk it's really easy to switch resolutions/bpp.
        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

It depends on the game. If the game is well-written (in terms of mode switching code) then it doesn't matter, except that there is more memory reserved for the back buffer that holds the desktop.

If the game is poor at switching resolutions (and Quake1 is VERY poor at this!) then it matters quite a bit.

Now, with TurboGL, there are a few glitches that demand that you start it, at least the first few times, in 800x600. Why? Who knows.

- Gurm

------------------
          Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
          If only life were as easy as you
          I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
          I would still get screwed

Comment

caprice dude, it DOES matter what your desktop is in... there is no option in UT OR HL that can change 16/32 bit... you gotta change from dekstop..
            <font size="1">Gigabyte GA-6VXC7-4X MoBo
            VIA Apollo Pro 133a (694x/686A) chipset (4x agp, UDMA 66)
            Celeron II 733 CPU (coppermine 128)
            128meg (2x64) 133mhz SDRam
            Matrox Milleniumm G200 AGP 16 mb
            Creative Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 Digital model 0100 (MP3+, Gamer)
            Quantum LM 30 gig HD 7200 RPM UDMA 66
            Realtek 8029A NIC Card
            Optiquest V775 17" Monitor
            Actima 36X CD-Rom
            Advansys 510 SCSI Card (ISA, but good enuf for my burner)
            Yamaha 6416 CD-RW
            Windows 2000 (primary)
            Slackware Linux 9.0(secondary/emergency)</font>

Comment

No sir, YOU are on crack. There is on option to switch color depths in UT right in the preferences window. I used it all the time when testing the new 5.5 beta drivers for like 6 hours.

I keep my desktop at 32 bit. I dont see how it can slow it down; it's just the damn desktop! It's not exactly Q3 crusher benchmarking. Can opening folders really be that slow over 16-bit???

Comment

nehalmistry: Q3A and UT will let you change the color depth in the game.

Comment

Bigluker,

The only issue with desktop color depth and resolution is that Windows keeps the icons and other shit like that in a back buffer. It sucks up a bit of memory. How much? Depends on the game. If the game has good graphics code it can make Windows flush most of the crap to disk. If it has lousy graphics code (again, Quake is a prime example here) then you can end up with a couple megs sucked up by back buffer.

- Gurm

------------------
                  Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
                  The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                  I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                  I would still get screwed

Comment

Working...
                  X