Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Falcon 9: Crew Dragon DM-1 - uncrewed test flight to ISS (DM-2 in 2019!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Falcon 9: Crew Dragon DM-1 - uncrewed test flight to ISS (DM-2 in 2019!)

Here. We. Go.

Space News...

Crew Dragon completes thermal vacuum tests ahead of first test flight

CINCINNATI — The first SpaceX Crew Dragon spacecraft has completed a series of tests at a NASA center that may put the spacecraft one step closer to an uncrewed test flight later this year.

In a speech at the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics’ Propulsion and Energy Forum here July 9, Janet Kavandi, director of NASA’s Glenn Research Center, said the spacecraft recently left the center’s Plum Brook Station after a series of thermal vacuum and acoustics tests.

“They just left yesterday or today,” she said in her remarks at the conference. “They’ve been out there twice, at least, at Plum Brook Station.” She didn’t disclose the outcome of the tests, and SpaceX did not respond to an email requesting comment on the status of the test.

The company previously indicated that the testing at Plum Brook was the last milestone before the spacecraft was shipped to Florida for final testing and integration with its Falcon 9 rocket. “Once complete, Crew Dragon will travel to Kennedy Space Center in Florida ahead of its first flight,” the company said in a June 20 Instagram post about the tests that were ongoing at Plum Brook.

Jessica Jensen, director of Dragon mission management at SpaceX, also said the Plum Brook tests were the last before the spacecraft is shipped to Florida for launch. “Once it leaves Plum Brook, it’s going to come down to Cape Canaveral for final launch processing,” she said at a June 28 briefing at the Kennedy Space Center about the launch of a Dragon cargo spacecraft to the International Space Station.
    >
    >
    The test flight astronauts for Crew Dragon and Boeing's StarLiner. No flight assignments yet.

Crew Dragon DM-1 vehicle

Diameter: 3.7 m (12 ft) with Trunk
    Height: 8.1 m (27 ft) with Trunk
    Pressurized volume: 10 m3 (350 cu/ft)
    Unpressurized volume (Trunk): 14 m3 (490 cu/ft)

Same DM-1 vehicle minus the nose cone, thermal panel bolt sealant and Trunk thermal radiator covers.

Crew Dragon launch abort system test flight. 8 SuperDraco engines, arranged in redundant pairs with fratricide protection and multi-redundant plumbing. Full thrust in 100ms.

SuperDraco thrust (each): 71,000 N (16,000 lbf)

Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 9 July 2018, 22:23.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

@SpaceX
    The team at our rocket development facility in McGregor, Texas completed a static fire test last night of the Falcon 9 booster that will launch SpaceXs first demonstration mission for @NASAs Commercial Crew Program one step closer to flying astronauts to the @Space_Station!

https://twitter.com/SpaceX/status/1055978878043181056

@NASASpaceflight
    That's Falcon 9 Block 5 B1051.1. A normal flow would mean this could be processed for a December mission, based on the timeline of SF at McGregor-to-Launch. DM-1 is, however, also pending Dragon 2 preparation status and the recently noted "Paperwork" on the NASA side.

https://twitter.com/NASASpaceflight/...80118194171907

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Per NASASpaceFlight,

Crew Dragon DM-1 is boarded for NET January 8th, 2019

Also,

The NASA Launch Services Program has qualified Falcon 9 for Category 3 launches; their highest value Class A and Class B payloads.

Still working on the separate certification to launch nuclear powered payloads.
      Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 9 November 2018, 16:19.
      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Michael Sheetz ✔ @thesheetztweetz
        @SpaceX Commercial Crew Demo-1 mission is now scheduled for no earlier than January 17, a source tells me.

The delay is 10 days later than the Jan. 7 target which @NASA announced previously.
        |
        Michael Sheetz ✔ @thesheetztweetz
        Worth noting that NASA administrator @JimBridenstine said in November that Demo-1 was announced to give international press time to request access. “There are reviews in Dec to decide configuration, waivers and date.”https://twitter.com/jimbridenstine/s...929182721?s=21 …
        |
        Jim Bridenstine ✔ @JimBridenstine
        To be clear, the date announcement for Demo-1 was to enable intl press access. There are reviews in Dec to decide configuration, waivers and date. Intl partners, the range, and ISS availability could also impact schedule. http://SpaceNews.com https://shar.es/aasH6P
        7:30 PM - Dec 4, 2018
        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Now that SpaceX, NASA, and the range are all focusing on January 17th for the DM-1 test flight it's clear that SpaceX is ahead. Launch time should be about 20:02 Eastern.

Boeing is making good progress on its Starliner capsule, but the service module has serious problems.

Early on they got way ahead on paperwork milestones and pushed off hardware development, and that's now biting them in the ass.

Basically, they depended too much on simulation when it came to the plumbing runs & valves for their abort engines, ending up with a water hammer effect during physical tests which is causing them to redesign the whole thing. Whatever dates are published for Starliner test flights, add a serious fudge factor.

I wouldn't be surprised if they had to add an in-flight abort test to further retire risk.

Astronauts training inside Crew Dragon

GO Searcher Crew Dragon recovery ship, one of the growing SpaceX Armada.

DM-1 vehicle

Concept art showing the newly installed Crew Access Arm (left top)
          Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 8 December 2018, 07:01.
          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

NASA Kennedy / KSC ✔ @NASAKennedy
            Want to experience the launch of the 1st @Commercial_Crew demo flight by SpaceX? The uncrewed flight test, known as Demo-1, is targeted for Jan. 17, 2019. Deadline to apply is this Monday, Dec 17. 2018. For more information and how to apply, go to: https://www.nasa.gov/social/spacexdemo
            12:38 PM - Dec 14, 2018
            Dr. Mordrid

Comment

VP Pence visited LC-39A with PaceX President Gwynne Shotwell. Pice give a good idea of scale.

Conformal solar arrays on the opposite side from the thermal radiators. No more solar wing deployments.

No fuel cells, so no "Apollo 13" scenario.

Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 18 December 2018, 15:27.
              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

NASA commercial crew video,
                Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Chris B - NSF @NASASpaceflight
                  Falcon 9 with Dragon 2 are rolling out on schedule to 39A for a dry run and fit tests. Should be vertical by this afternoon local time. If you're in the KSC area and you have a camera, deploy!
                  |
                  Thomas Burghardt @TGMetsFan98
                  Friends near Cape Canaveral: if you want to see something cool, take a look in the direction of 39A

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 28 February 2019, 01:35.
                    Dr. Mordrid

Comment

About 4 weeks from launch due to shutdown issues.

Elon Musk ✔ @elonmusk
                      Falcon 9 on launch pad with Crew Dragon & new astronaut walkway
                      1:52 PM - Jan 6, 2019

Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 6 January 2019, 12:06.
                      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Launch photographer Ben Cooper has the NET* launch date/time

* No Earlier Than

http://www.launchphotography.com/Del...h_Viewing.html

Launch: Feb. 9
                        T-0: ~1100 Eastern

If it slips past Feb. 13 the high Beta (Sun) angle will cause a further slip to at least Feb. 20.
                        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

LC-39A's Fixed Service Structure and rainbitds have been painted, and more cladding has been mounted.

Static fire attempt tomorrow, Jan 23.

Launch attempt said to be Feb 19, timing Crew Dragon's arrival at ISS to be after the high beta angle which ends on Feb. 20.

During a high beta angle the sun is high enough to cause near constant illumination of ISS, which can cause thermal issues during vehicle arrivals etc.

Spaceflight Now @SpaceflightNow
                          The Falcon 9 and Crew Dragon are now in position at launch pad 39A in readiness for a crucial test firing of its nine first-stage engines as soon as tomorrow: https://spaceflightnow.com/2019/01/2...-launch-preps/
                          9:17 AM - Jan 22, 2019

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

First static fire with a payload aboard since AMOS-6.

Emre Kelly ✔ @EmreKelly
                            TEST FIRE of #SpaceX Falcon 9 and Crew Dragon at 1600 ET / 2100 UTC! Appeared to go well.
                            4:04 PM - Jan 24, 2019

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Launch: NET Feb 23, 2019

Time: TBD

SpaceX ✔ @SpaceX
                              Static fire test completetargeting February launch from historic Launch Complex 39A for Crew Dragons first demonstration flight!
                              10:03 PM - Jan 24, 2019

Elon Musk ✔ @elonmusk
                              If test flight of 🐉 goes well next month, @NASA 👨🚀 👩🚀 will 🚀 to @Space_Station this summer!
                              12:36 AM - Jan 25, 2019
                              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
                              X