Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

problems with windows shutdown with new drivers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• problems with windows shutdown with new drivers?

I saw in alt.comp.periphs.videocards.matrox that a few people were having problems with shutdown after installing the new driver. Does anyone know what is the cause and how to fix it? I want to make sure before I install.

thanks

I can't use 5.13 because my PC crashes on the Windows 98 shutdown screen.

P2-400 QDI BX + MGA 200 OEM (8Mb SDRAM)

Also Redline Racer doesn't work for me in D3D under 5.13 (or 4.51 for that matter) - it works if I run the i740 version or use earlier driver - currently using 4.28 because had problems with 4.33 also other games!

Comment

Yeah, it does kinda suck crashing every time
      I try to shut down the computer. You'd think
      they would release a very quick fix to this
      problem.

I'm patiently awaiting the 5.20.xx drivers,
      and holding in the power button to turn off
      my machine at the end of the day.... :-p

Kevin

Comment

Just to say that installed new driver a week ago and everything is fine. No lock ups or shut down problems at all. Hope the Tribes 1.6 patch will arrive soon

Comment

I have had occasional blue screen lockups when shutting down about ever since I installed Win98 SE.

Running G200 PD 5.13

Comment

Finally someone's getting the exact same problem as I am. My system freezes and only my mouse pointer is visible after trying to
            restart/shutdown. Everything else works perfect, and I never had this problem with the 4.51 drivers. I'd say this is the first program thatI've ever had a problem with, I try to keep my system simple so as to have to strange compatibilty problems so I was shocked this problem and was even more shocked when no one else reported something similar, now I'm very relieved Who do we contact for help, I heard the big boys at Matrox can be a pain in the @$$...

------------------
            AMD k6-2 350 64M SDRAM Millienium G200 AGP 8M
            (SDRAM, 250 RAMDAC)
            40X CD-ROM drive
            SBAwe64
            8.4G Maxtor HD
            56k Rockwell
            17" monitor

Millenium G200 8 Meg (SDRAM) 2.6 - 20 bios; 350 AMD K6-2 on a VIA MVP3 with latest bios; 128 Meg SDRAM; 8.4 Maxtor;

Comment

I now know why my PC crashes on Shutdown. It seems that Windows 98+ and PD5.13 conflict with Norton Antivirus 4.0. When Norton is disabled my PC shuts down normally!

I've seen a report that says you should upgrade to Norton version 5.0, but it is much cheaper to use an older version of the driver!

------------------

Comment

My computer shuts down but doesn't soft power off with the new drivers.

- DJ
                My Packurd bell 166Megahurtz runnin at 233 on a ABIT ITH5 muther board,
                128MB EDO ECC RAM and a hole bunch of other cool stuff.

Comment

Hey guys go into your sys confuig utility and click on DISABLE FAST SHUTDOWN this will fix your problems, I discovered this fix the hardway, but this will work, give it a try!

Comment

And where migth one find this option?
                    A computer is like sex. Your never 100% sure what your doing but when all goes well, it feels REAL good.

Comment

here's step by step:
                      go to start bar
                      programs-assecories-system tools-system information-Tools-sys config utility- advanced-click on disable fast shut down! all set if have any otehr problems post back, later! This is the way with win98!

Comment

Why bother typing anything, it's inside of the new system information tool, along with the system file version checker, etc. etc.

- Gurm
                        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                        If only life were as easy as you
                        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                        If only life were as easy as you
                        I would still get screwed

Comment

I have now disabled fast shutdown and Windows 98 shutsdown correctly even with Norton Antivirus 4.0 running.

Thanks

------------------

Comment

...or if the config utility is not on the start menu (like mine) go to START -> RUN and type in MSCONFIG

Comment

Working...
                            X