Xwing Alliance and G400

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xwing Alliance and G400

Are we allowed to post pics here? FOr those people that have Xwing Alliance and a G400, can you please post a pic over here. I want to compare the visual quality of it with my card before I receive my MAX. I currently have a Banshee card. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm at work now... will post a link to an image in about 3 hours when I get home.

Just in case you're wondering, it does work, and it works well. The textures look much more vibrant when compared to a TNT.

Lata

Comment

Arggh, I can't find the CDs right now, so I can't get into the game.
      It'll have to be tomorrow, sorry.

Comment

Ok, I guess I can wait a day or two. Take your time. It's not like my MAX is going to arrive today.

Comment

I downloaded the demo to grab some shots:

http://www.iinet.net.au/~ntt/xwa1.jpg
          http://www.iinet.net.au/~ntt/xwa2.jpg
          http://www.iinet.net.au/~ntt/xwa3.jpg

They are large jpg files because I wanted to preserve the image quality.

Let me know if this is what you were looking for.

Comment

Wow, you downloaded the demo? You must have a fast connection. From the looks of it, it does look better than my Banshee card. When you find your CDs, can you get pics of the Xwing or the Star Destroyers? For me, there is very little detail on then. The textures look washed out. Also, please try to take the pics in 1024x768 or higher with detail settings set on highest. One more thing, edit the config file in your Xwing directory and change the mipmap1 and the lod setting to 35. This puts more detail on the models. It is very noticeable when they are far away. Do not touch the settings in game after that or they will reset. Thanks.

Comment

OK, the screenshots using the config tweaks and at 1024x768 are:

www.iinet.net.au/~ntt/xwa1.jpg
              www.iinet.net.au/~ntt/xwa2.jpg
              www.iinet.net.au/~ntt/xwa3.jpg
              www.iinet.net.au/~ntt/xwa4.jpg

I don't think I got the best angle for everything, but I'll jsut add that the game was very playable at 1024x768 with everything turned on. I had some other screenshots, but at 300k each it seemed a bit excessive.

Oh, and I only have a 56k connection. That's good enough for now.

Comment

Thanks. That is more than enough screenshots. What do you mean that the game was very playable? I could run the game at 1280x1024 on my Banshee with ok framerates. I have a Celeron OC to 464. I would expect the game to run really smooth with a G400 even with 3d sound turned on. I really look forward to getting my MAX. Now if ony Matrox could hurry up and get to my order.

[This message has been edited by Kooguy (edited 07-22-99).]

Comment

That looks pretty good on the Matrox card!

I run X-wing Alliance on a Voodoo 2 SLI setup. While the game plays really well at 800x600 on the Voodoos and image quality is good, anything more than that and the performance suffers.

I'd really like to see how Alliance runs on the G400 during the last couple of missions (where you attack the Death Star). Those missions have so many ships, that I was reduced to about 10 fps even with all rendering detail turned off and at 640x480 res.

Comment

"Very playable" means that the framerate is good. XWAlliance always has problems when you first start the mission and it is still loading textures... with 5 star destroyers, 3 miscellaneous starships and 24 fighters it got a little slow when I first got the starships in view... other than that it was fine.
                    I have a celeron o/c to 400MHz, and a standard G400 32MB (not MAX).

Comment

Hi Jon. That is pretty bad if you have a SLI setup. Do you have 3d sound turned on? That is a framerate killer. I only get good framerates with that on in 640x480. The last few missions were not that bad for me. What CPU you have? I always kept detail at highest because I canot stand the graphics when they are turned down. Considering that a Banshee is as fast as a G200(maybe a tad faster), I think a G400 would really make the game run great. One thing I hate about my Banshee card is when you go inside the Death Star. Everything looks so ugly, it is hard to see where you are going sometimes.

Comment

I only experienced any difficulty at all with the levels on the 2nd, and 3rd last levels due to the number of SDs and fighters.

Unfortunately my processor is an AMD K6-2 300 so the 3D performance is still less than stellar.

3D sound is not turned on, because I don't have a really good 3d card.

I usually don't have difficulty though playing Quake II at 1024x768 with 20 or more players.

Comment

I paly it 1024x760 very nice...
                          on my MILLENIUM G-400 32

powerd by I.PIII 450@465,120mbRAM,P2b,SB.Live

Comment

Working...
                          X