agp 1x or 2x, whats the difference?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• agp 1x or 2x, whats the difference?

what IS the diffrence between 1x or 2x on a G200? i have tried 2X and i didnt even gain a measely 1 fps and my computer starting crashing randomly. i put it back to 1x and it went away. whats the deal here? isnt this card supposed to be a agp 2x card?

The G200 does a fancy AGP, but most ss7 motherboards do not. If you do not have an ss7 motherboard something strange is going on. What MB, processor, etc. do you have?
    However, nothing but benchmarks use large enough textures for AGP 2X to matter right now anyway.
    chuck

------------------
    (erswhile cjolley) celery 333@500mz 2.2V, 64meg@cas2, 10gig IBM 7200rpm UltraStar, Princton EO75, $15 sound card(!),V3 2000 PCI (still waiting on my MAX!)

Comment

SS7 boards don't support AGP 2x w/ the G200. If you have an 440LX motherboard, it may or may not be able to handle, also.

------------------
      503+ rev 1.2a, 128MB PC100 RAM, K6-2/350@400,RH6 & Win98,G200 Millenium (SGRAM), no plans to buy a G400

Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

here are my specs.
        Abit BH6 motherboard with a celeron 300a@450, 128mb pc100 ram.

Comment

The G200 runs @ 2X easy on a BH6, at least mine did.
          Something is wrong with your setup.
          What G200 bios do you have? etc.
          chuck

------------------
          (erswhile cjolley) celery 333@500mz 2.2V, 64meg@cas2, 10gig IBM 7200rpm UltraStar, Princton EO75, $15 sound card(!),V3 2000 PCI (still waiting on my MAX!)

Comment

AGP 2X crashes on my BH6 if I have the AGP ratio set to 1:1 on a 100+Mhz FSB. Make sure you set yours to 2:3. 2X works flawless on mine at the 2:3 setting.
            Matt

Comment

Wasn't somebody else complaining that the 5.xx drivers dropped them down to AGP 1?
              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

right, Matt !

Voyd, check your bus-dividers !!!

------------------
                Cheerio,
                Maggi

I used to have some posts in my record and hopefully some of the guys 'n' girls will still know me and my system ...
                Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
                Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
                be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
                4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
                2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
                OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
                4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
                Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
                Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
                LG BH10LS38
                LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

Wombat is right, its more than that.
                  The new G200 Drivers drop you down to 1x, even if your on a BX motherboard. I know because I was a victim of this. Download cpuid and it will say 1x or 2x, with those new drivers, you will be getting 1x, uninstall the drivers and run your g200 in vga mode you will see you will be getting 2x again. Thank Matrox's great Driver Making team for that one. P.S. Your Bus Dividers are fine.
                  What the hell are we doing in the middle of the desert?

Comment

I had no such problems on any of the BX mobos. that I have installed the 5.13 drivers on. All report 2X. I just must be doing something right. I am sure there are some BX boards that won't do 2X without hacking, but I would say it has little to do with the drivers. Like Kruzin said, if the board does not pass the test the drivers put it through, then that's the way it is.
                    Matt

Comment

Voyd,
                      Check your AGP clock divider just to make sure. It won't run 2X @ 100mz.
                      chuck

------------------
                      (erstwhile cjolley) celery 333@500mz 2.2V, 64meg@cas2, 10gig IBM 7200rpm UltraStar, Princton EO75, $15 sound card(!),V3 2000 PCI (still waiting on my MAX!)

Comment

5.13 had no such affect on my G200. It's always gotten 2x, and still is. And I've never had to "force" it to 2x either.

If it's not going into 2x, it's because the system is not passing the AGP test the Matrox drivers run on start up. Putting the card to VGA mode proves nothing. VGA mode doesn't use AGP at all, regardless of PCI list reporting 1x or 2x.

It's a meaningless battle anyways, because with todays small texture games, 2x means nothing in real world performance.
                        Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Working...
                        X