Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

G200 and Voodoo2 - OpenGL for both in the same box?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G200 and Voodoo2 - OpenGL for both in the same box?

I bought a G200 last summer hoping for a 2D/3D solution that had great visual quality. Well, you all know the story - the G200 sucks at 3D. :-) So I bought a Voodoo2 to play games.

Now, I want to try OpenGL gaming on the G200 again. My system's been upgraded quite a bit, and I'd love to test out some games on the G200's new ICD. Just one problem - nothing sees the ICD.

Here's my system's specs:

Millennium G200 AGP, 8MB
    Millennium II, 4MB PCI
    Voodoo2 12MB, using reference drivers
    3Com 3C905 network card
    ISA SoundBlaster 32
    ISA 2nd parallel port
    Asus P2B motherboard
    Pentium III 450
    256MB PC100 ECC SDRAM
    Primary IDE: 10GB WD HD, 1.6GB WD HD
    Secondary IDE: HP 8100i CD-RW, Toshiba 24x CD-ROm
    Two Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 900u monitors (19")

Drivers: PowerDesk 5.13 for the G200, Latest 4.xx drivers for the Millennium II, last 1998 reference drivers for the Voodoo2 (was mucking around with V2 SLI using different cards - doesn't work between a Best Data Arcade 3D FX II and a Monster 3D II).

So that's the system. The G200 and the 3C905 share an IRQ. The Millennium II has its own IRQ. Each monitor has dual inputs, so the Voodoo2 isn't using a passthrough - it is on the secondary input to one of the 900u's.

My test games are Kingpin and Half-Life. Neither works with "default OpenGL". Half-Life completely bombs. Kingpin fails back to the 3dfx OpenGL driver.

Does anyone have a V2 and a G200 in their system, and has OpenGL working for both cards?

Resolve your IRQ conflict between the G200 and your net card and I think you will see a big difference in the G200's performance.

Joel
    Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
    Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

If you're saying putting my G200 on a dedicated IRQ will allow the OpenGL drivers to fire up, then I'll give it a shot.

If you're saying that having the G200 share an IRQ with my 3C905 is causing a conflict - it isn't. PCI can share interrupts. Hell, that's the only way I can have PCI cards in my system. I've got PCI Slot 1/AGP on IRQ 9, and PCI Slot 2-4 on IRQ 11.

At this point, I just want the OpenGL driver to work, not to work well. I'll tweak performance once I get the damm thing running.

Comment

That may be well and good for your PCI cards but the G200 unfortunately does not share IRQs very well. Try give it one of it's own and it will be alot happier.

Joel
        Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
        Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

Giving the G200 its own IRQ didn't change anything.

My G200 is now using IRQ 10 all by itself. IRQ 9 is now unused. IRQ 11 is being shared by my Millennium II and the 3C905.

Any other ideas?

Comment

Ummmmmmmm Try nuking the 4.xx drivers. It could be causing a conflict. Once you nuke em you may need to reinstall the 5.13 drivers. After that it should work just fine.

------------------
            Flangor StrongAxe
            flangor@matroxusers.com
            System specs: One bourbon, one scotch and one beer

Comment

I think I know what the problem is. I don't know how to fix it.

Way back when I still had Win95 installed, I popped in the Millennium II (for Linux). When I did that, I could NEVER install the G200 drivers again - I had to do a driver update instead (via the Device Manager).

On a hunch, I disabled the MII under Device Manager in Win98. Now, instead of getting nothing, the default OpenGL starts up, but the game locks - at least it isn't going to the 3dfx anymore.

I'm going to try putting back on 5.13 (believe me, the new uninstaller wipes EVERYTHING. The MII and the G200 drivers both go out the window) tonight. I'm not expecting much.

Perry Kettler

Comment

Working...
              X