G200 and D3d game lockup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G200 and D3d game lockup

This happened to me with a couple of video cards, when I was using a non-plug and pray monitor. Make absolutely sure you have the correct monitor selected in your video display properties. Better, yet get pd5.13 and preset all of your display modes. Sounds like your refresh rate is not matching your monitor.
    Matt

------------------
    Yes, I am serious and don't call me Shirley

Matt,

Do you mean that I should stick with the default refresh rate of the monitor? Hmm... never realize that would be a problem... Currently the refresh rate is a little bit higher than the factory setting. I will try that. Thanks a lot!

[This message has been edited by DN (edited 07-11-99).]

Comment

Actually what I am saying is that if your monitor is not plug and play, then sometimes it be a bitch to get the perfect settings for your monitor. Power Desk helps this a bunch. Especially the newer drivers (5.13), which has alot more monitors in it's presets, yours may be in there, but if it isn't then no problem. You can customize your current display modes and you customize all of your display modes. PD 5.13 makes it a snap. It lets you bump your refresh rate up in steps of 1hz. so you can push it until your monitor says no way. This way you can have optimal settings for each and every display mode. The real nice thing is that you can have your screen stretched and pinned for each setting, so every mode is jus right.
      Matt

------------------

Comment

Matt,

That's what I an doing right now. The refresh rate I am using is ok when I am in desktop and OGL... only D3d give me the trouble. I will try to leave some room and not to push it too hard and see if that will improve.

Thank you very much for you help!

Comment

DirectX refresh rates are controled in a different place. Go to your control panel, and into DirectX Properties. Then go to the DirectDraw tab. On this page, you will see "Forced Refresh Rates" for each available resolution, as you select them...
          Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

I did not know that dx 6.x did this. I don't even have a DX properties in my control panel.....hmmm.
            Matt

------------------

Comment

Let me rephrase what I just said. Ever since I have been running later versions of DX, I have not had to adjust DX refresh rates, and I have not had a DX properties in my control panel. Also, just to check that refresh rates weren't changing on me, I preset my PD refresh rates at 640x480x16bit to 127hz, 800x600x16bit to 113hz, 1024x768x32bit to 89hz. I then ran Midtown Madness, and M3. At each of the settings I preset, I ran the games at those settings, and checked my OSD. Sure enough 127hz, 113hz, and 89hz.
              Matt

------------------

Comment

It's entirely possible that .cpl I have is from an older DX, or even a 3rd party...hard to keep track of all that stuff

But I tried it too...no matter what I set the refresh rate at in that .cpl, it would stay where PD told it to. Oh well.

It could be that the monitor itself is having a hard time switching modes. DN, can you power the monitor off for a few seconds, then turn it back on, and have it work when this black screen happens? I have an old CTX that does that once in a while...
                Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Kruzin,

Ok... I will try that when I go home(Yes, I am working right now, on Sunday afternoon...). Although I doubt if that will work because the system won't response at all when the black screen come up, unless I press the reset button on the machine.

Oh, my monitor is a Mag DX15... it is old, too.

Comment

G200 and D3d game lockup

Hello,

I have this problem since the first time I played a D3d game. When the game switch to D3d mode, 3 out of 10 times it will lock up. It will either: 1) Have a blank back screen and freeze. 2) The monitor go to suspend mode and freeze. Or 3) The screen goes black with a green horizontal line at about 1 inch from the top of the screen.

Anybody has any idea on this? The following is my system spec:

P2 300 (3x100)
                    Abit BX1.0
                    One 128 MB PC100
                    Mill G200 8MB
                    Bios 2.3
                    PD5
                    Diamond Monster Sound

The D3d games that I tried:
                    Tomb Raider 1 & 2
                    EverQuest
                    FF7 (Problem happened less often)

I rarely if not never have any problem with OGL games. I played Q2, Q3, & Hexen 2 without problem.

I have this problem since the first day I got my g-200 last fall. Thanks ahead. Any help would be great.

Comment

Kruzin, Matt,

I load the preset profile from Matrox, and it looks like it's more stable now. Thanks!!

Now another question, sort of related though. When I try to run the Forsaken Demo(I know this is old...), sometime it seems like the hardware did not kick in and the demo is running at about 8 fps... any thoughts?

Comment

Try setting your CPU to its recommended setting 4.5x66MHz.

Some BX boards have a setting for the AGP to run at full or 2/3 speed. If you run the P2 300 at 66MHz it should be set to full speed. Obviously if you run with 100MHz bus speed this should be set to 2/3 so that the AGP will run at 66MHz.

/ck

Comment

Working...
                        X