overclocking the g200

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• overclocking the g200

alright so i want to overlock my Millenium G200 8 mb. i have been thru the MURC page and found 2 ultilities, PowerStrip, and MatroxOverlocker. with powerstrip i am only able to increase the memory clock and with matrox overlocker i can only change the core clock. how do i know if i have indeed overlocked and at what settings? powerstrip reports a diffrent core clock than what i have set using the MatroxOverclocker.
    my real question is are there any utilities out there that let me adjust BOTH the core clock AND the memory clock at the same time? right now i am unsure if i have overlocked at all. any info appreciated.

Hey Voyd,

I don't have any experience with PowerStrip so I will not comment on that. I'm currently using MatroxOverclock and, from what I understand, overclocks both the core and the memory. The value that it overclocks to is based on a combined calculation of overclocking the core and the memory and is not an actual value. I may be mistaken here but I believe I read that somewhere a while ago.
    Anyways, go thru these steps to setup and overclock your card.
    -Load up Matrox o/c.
    -Select 'MGA G200' under 'Step One'
    -Select your desired clock speed under 'Step Two' (89 is default - I suggest a starting speed of 100.
    -Select 'Start MillClk at system startup' under 'Step three'.
    -Click on 'Apply' under 'Step Four'

You can also fool around with the 'Options' settings if you are running Powerdesk version prior to 5.13. With Powerdesk 5.13 those options are useless.

Anyways, test the card by running some games. If no visible glitches occur, you can increase the clock rating even higher, or if glitches do occur I suggest you quickly reduce it. Most cards that have a fan on them will comfortably run as high as 112, but I would not suggest running so high without one. My suggestion is to slowly increase the clock rating my 1MHz until you run into visual glitches (usually first sign of overheating is the appearance of white dots on your screen), then reduce the clock by at least 2MHz. For instance, if visual glitches begin occuring at 112MHz (and not before) I would reduce the speed to 110MHz.

Good luck!

- Peter

Comment

Working...
    X