HL + new drivers. Any problems?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HL + new drivers. Any problems?

This is the main game I play and I would like to know if there are any problems before I update. I can't remember who but someone said HL seems fuzzy? Anyone else?

Thanks,
    Thien

Actually, I haven't gotten it to work yet. I uninstalled the previous drivers and PowerDesk and then installed 5.13 drivers, but HalfLife OGL won't work for me. I tried deleting the microsoft opengl32.dll file, and also renaming the g200icd.dll, as well as putting it in my "gldrv" folder for HL and editing the drivemap.txt file, but no go. Sometimes it wouldn't do anything, other times it would say "This resolution is not supported by your card" or something like that, no matter what resolution I was trying. Any ideas anyone? Thanks in advance.

Comment

muffyn- You must have that opengl32.dll file (the MS one) in your windows\system folder. Without it, there is no way OGL will work.

Tn - HL was the first game I tried when I got the new drivers on my G200. No problems here. Fired up, and ran very well at 800x600 on my non-o/c celery333a. clear as a bell...no fuzzies that I saw...

------------------
      P2-350(@103*4=412), Asus P2B(1009), 128meg PC100, MillG400 32meg(PD5.20.???), CL SB Live!Value, CL PC-DVD, Mitsumi CD-R, WD UDMA 8.4&6.4 gig, (2)USR 56k(multilinked), 3Com 905B-TX, etc...

Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Halflife was the first game for me to try...
        the new OGL rocks!!, now i can play TFC online 800x600, the only problem i found is that some textures (some gray floor paths and some walls) are not shown corectly, i see weird rectangular patterns... i will post a screen capture if it is possible.....

that's my only problems i have with new drivers and HL

D.

------------------
        Celeron 300A@450,Abit BX6,128MB,8.4GB Maxtor,MillG200 8Mb B2.3 D4.51 OGL-b2,SB PCI128,W98 DX6.1

Comment

See my post in the hardware forum and you´ll know what I think of these new drivers - Specially concerning HL.

Comment

I went to some lengths over the last 2 days to completely reinstall Windows 98, AND a clean install of HalfLife. I won't recommend this for everyone, but I've been waiting for this update for some time.

The verdict is that everything runs great now, and HalfLife looks fantastic. Many hours of playing have shown NO problems for me with the new Open GL drivers.

Btw, I'm running very fast @ 800 x 600.

K

------------------
            P2 350, Intel BX2 MB, 128Mb PC100, Marvel G200 8Mb (2.3, 5.13), SB Live Value, Quantum Fireball EX 6.4Gb, Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 2500, Adaptec 2940U SCSI, 3Comm Etherlink XL TPO, ADSL

P3 1GHz, 512Mb RAM (PC133), Asus CU4VX motherboard (VIA Chipset), Matrox Marvel G200, DiamondMax Plus 30.0Gb 7200rpm ATA100, Tekram SCSI UW controller, SCSI Zip drive, Creative 12X PCDVD, Yamaha 8824 CDRW

Comment

danfoss,

I have had the same texture problems since beta2 and now in final. I had already started a thread on this but it got buried quickly and not many people saw it. Here is the url where my screenshots of the problem is.

http://members.home.net/helevitia/pic1.htm

Dave
              Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

OpenGL looks better, in Half Life but still has the problems that Helevitia has shown in his screen print.

Oh well, at least there was some improvement and I can alt-atb out of Half Life with out breaking things.

Comment

I'm getting a weird 'jerking' in HL, like an earthquake is happenening?!
                  I have not tried reinstalling HL, should I?
                  In OpenGL and D3D I get the above, as well as a little tearing - but in OpenGL it screams along even @ 1024x768.

Comment

Hi there

Helevitia: Glad to know I´m not alone. I have exactly the same problems in half-life. I must say I am very disappointed with Matrox, these drivers are buggy and unstable (at least in my system).

See my HL screenshot, it has the same textures corruptions as yours:

http://www.terravista.pt/BaiaGatas/3051/image1.jpg

My system: Celeron 300a @ 450, abit bx6, 96 mb pc100 sdram, sb awe 32, fujitsu 6.4 hdd, nokia 17´´´447 zi. Mill G200 8Mb sgram, bios 2.3, PD 5.13, win 98, Ie 5.0, directx 6.1, HL patched to version 1006 (not patched is the same story, if you ask).

Just curious to see your pc specs to see if we can get some kind of pattern here.

Comment

Helevita: that's is exactly the problem i have, the strange thing is that is doesn't happen all the time nor at the same locations in a map. I haven't seen this in beta2, i'm only experiencing this in the final ogl.

D.

------------------
                      Celeron 300A@450,Abit BX6,128MB,8.4GB Maxtor,MillG200 8Mb B2.3 PD5.13,SB PCI128,W98 DX6.1

[This message has been edited by danfoss (edited 07-04-99).]

Comment

Yah!?!?! WTF!??! I put the new drivers in and HL textures get all screwed up!?!? The performance seems good, but at the expense of the textures. I never had this problem before these new drivers.

Is it something a full fresh win 98 install will cure???

In the past, I had to do this with new matrox drivers. Maybe the case here.

357 Cel, G200, 64 Meg, win 98....

Comment

Saud:

I tried to reinstall win98 twice. I first did the deltree c:\windows trick and installed it. Same story with HL textures.

I then formatted my harddrive, took a whole afternoon rebuilding all the system. Guess what: it made no difference. At least in OpenGL. I must say the first time I installed I had a terrible stuttering in all d3d games and now it´s gone. I hope...

So, I guess a fresh w98 install will not cure it... but try it if you are willing to, who knows? You may be lucky

Comment

Ack, Ack, Ack.
                            Me thinks you might want to re-edit your post, and either use the HTML tags for images, or failing that put a link to it, not just copy, and paste.

*winces as the text goes off the edge of his screen*

------ ammendum ------
                            hmm, dunno what happen, seems to have cleared up now *kicks IE5 with a pair of size 12 Stc Doc Martins!*

[This message has been edited by Colin Morey (edited 07-04-99).]
                            You wanna piece of me? here, *crunch*, o.k. not _that_ bit.

Comment

Helevitia,

I've been getting corrupted textures that look very similar to the ones you posted but in another game, KingPin (based on the Quake II engine) with the new drivers as well. I'll try to post some screenshots if I get the time. I think texture corruption of some kind is still far too common with the final ICD. Unfortunately it comes up at different places and different times. I can only say that if I play HL or KP for an hour or so I'm sure that I'll run into it. I hope Matrox can fix this eventually.

[This message has been edited by Filmgeek (edited 07-04-99).]

Comment

Working...
                              X