X-beyond the frontier playable demo problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X-beyond the frontier playable demo problems

This can be seen at the title menu and throughout the intro & game. Instead of solid textures, some of 'em are drawn as wireframe. torturing the options doesn't help. any ideas?

forgot the link if someone want to try the
    demo: www.egosoft.com

Comment

Same thing here. According to EgoSoft this is supposed to be a driver problem. From their FAQ:

Q: Graphics are completely incorrect after a certain scene, and stay like that for a while. (Lines are often used instead of filled polygons)
      A: This is definitely a driver bug. We have seen this in two different new Direct X 6 drivers that implement their own clipping. One of them (Riva TNT) fixed it in a newer version. Please check out if there is an updated driver for your card if this happens. If NOT, contact the vendor and tell them about X (or tell them to contact us).

P3@600 | Abit BH6 V1.01 NV | 256MB PC133 | G400MAX (EU,AGP2X) | Quantum Atlas 10K | Hitachi CDR-8330 | Diamond FirePort 40 | 3c905B-TX | TB Montego A3D(1) | IntelliMouse Explorer | Iiyama VisionMaster Pro 17 | Win2K/NT4

Comment

I suspect it must be the BIOS/driver version. I can run the demo with no "wireframe" flaws. In fact, the game looks pretty slick! Which G200 flavour are you using? What drivers and BIOS version are installed. Also, do you have DirectX 6.1 installed?

------------------
        Mystique G200 - BIOS version 2.2 - Driver v. 4.11.01.1000 - PowerDesk v. 4.51.010

Comment

Solution to this problem is NOT TO INSTALL
          DirectX 6!!!

I have reinstalled the fresh '98 which comes with DX 5.0 (instead of '98SE, which has the latest DX6.1a and was on my PC previously)

After that the demo looks almost correct, at least menus are drawn properly. (later in the game the problem show up soemtimes though...)

Was tried drivers ver. 4.51 (w/o powerdesk installed) my G200 is 8M SD Mill (the most cheapest flavor now in Moscow), bios v. 2.3

Thanks everybody, this seems to be the problem of egosoft' bugs. But the game is so good...

Comment

I'm glad to hear that it's now working for you ... I'm running Win95 OSR2, with DirectX 6.1 (4.06.02.0436) and Windows Media Player 6.02.05.0410 (required for video and narration in the game). It runs flawlessly for me - particularly sweet at 1024 x 768!

------------------
            Mystique G200 - BIOS version 2.2 - Driver v. 4.11.01.1000 - PowerDesk v. 4.51.010

Comment

Hmm... I'm running a Mill G200 8MB, Win98, DX6.1, Mediaplayer 6.00.02.0902 and G200 BIOS 1.06 (1.06???). Tried various G200 drivers, right now I'm at 4.51 again.

Downgrading to DX5 is not much of an option, (less because I understand it doesn't really solve the problem) so I think I'll try a BIOS update...
              P3@600 | Abit BH6 V1.01 NV | 256MB PC133 | G400MAX (EU,AGP2X) | Quantum Atlas 10K | Hitachi CDR-8330 | Diamond FirePort 40 | 3c905B-TX | TB Montego A3D(1) | IntelliMouse Explorer | Iiyama VisionMaster Pro 17 | Win2K/NT4

Comment

Tried it and I feel a lot better now. Maybe I should try flashing my G200 too...

Comment

Hi guys,

the wireframe you are seeing is because we don't support any textures on lines.

Haig

Comment

To Haig:

And, ...

(the solution will be...

like: get a V00D00, install powerdesk 1.0,
                    erase the X game, ???)

Comment

Thanks Haig. If the lack of support for textured lines is the problem, would there be any chance that this feature will be supported by future drivers (and/or the G400 series cards)?

Comment

Well Scytale, I really don't know but I do know that textured lines are not implemented in the new PD5 drivers either.

Just making conversation

Comment

I wonder why someone would want to use textured lines in a game... Lines (textured or not) are not suitable in a 3D scene because however far they are from the viewer, they are always drawn 1 pixel wide. This makes the lines appear to grow larger as you move away from them.

It's far better and more flexible to use textured triangles instead. And as an added bonus, the game will magically work on more graphic cards. Isn't that great?

I think the best use for textured lines is in CAD applications for preview purposes. Or it could be used for HUDs in games, such as the cool wireframe 3D map in Battlezone.

Comment

Well Ender, I suppose you answered your own question

Note that I never said the problem was caused by textured lines. I'm not into 3D programming so I wouldn't know.
                            The omitted textures also show (or better: don't show) on larger rectangular surfaces (like pipes and metal profiles). It may even apply to other polygonal shapes as well, I'll have to check on that.

Funny thing is that I bought my first 3D card (Pure3D) just to be able to play this game. Now I'm waiting for my third card (MAX) and it seems I won't be able to play it decently
                            Makes you wonder if time is linear after all.

[This message has been edited by Scytale (edited 07-02-99).]

Comment

I had another look and took a screenshot. Could this be the result of missing textures on lines????

Comment

Working...
                              X