Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I set refresh rates in DOS screens?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I set refresh rates in DOS screens?

In the good old days, before powerdesk 5.13 I was able to get refresh rates of 85 Hz in games that use a full screen resolution (Rainbow Six or Jane's Israeli Air force for example).
    With the new Powerdesk i'm back at a measly 60 Hz, and it was already hard enough to survive at 85 Hz.
    What is the best procedure to get higher refresh rates in those games?
    My monitor is a Iiyama vision master pro 450 (so it is not listed in the standard models)

Right click ong desktop, properties, click on advanced, choose monitor tab, choose custommize monitor profile, select Iiyama vision master pro 450, click on next, check save, click ok...

Whew...

------------------
    "The opinions or comments expressed by me do not necessary reflect those of Matrox Graphics Inc."

"The opinions or comments expressed by me do not necessary reflect those of Matrox Graphics Inc."

Comment

Whew - as in: that wasn't hard? You're right it wasn't. But that's because it doesn't solve the problem I described.
      Apart from the fact that the procedure you're describing isn't quite right, and apart from the fact that the Vision Master Pro 450 isn't included in the list that comes with the drivers (didn't I mention that? Oh yes I did): that only works in true Windows screens, as you might call them.
      Games that use a full screen DOS window aren't affected by the Windows refresh rate.
      In the meantime I found a way around my problem: include the VBETSR.COM program that comes with the old drivers (before 4.51 I believe) in your autoexec.bat, and not the newer TSRVESA.COM. Then run VBESETUP.EXE.
      That way I get 85Hz instead of 60.

But my question still is: is there a way to get that done using only the newer drivers and files?

Comment

Leo:

I'm curious too. I followed the instructions to completely uninstall 4.51 which said to remove evrything MGA etc which meant my C:\MGA\Setup and contents were wiped. I had to rem the DOS TSR lines in autoexec.bat as on restarts the DOS splash for autoexec said "bad command" for the set MGA and VBE TSR lines. mgamon is gone too of course.
        I'm not desperate to run anything in DOS but it looks like I should have left the C:\MGA\Setup folder and contents alone.
        I wonder if the new unistaller they just listed leaves the DOS stuff be?

Just wondrin' too,

------------------
        P2-450;256MB PC100;Asus P2B;16MB G200 Mystique 5.13,2.3; 12MB CL V2;CL SB Live Full(LW2.1); ViewSonic 17PS; 10GB Maxtor 7200RPM UDMA2;3.2GB Quantum FB ST UDMA2;CL 2X Encore;USR 5686 External Sportster V.90;Win98;DX6.1;IE5a etc.

P2-450;256MB PC100;Asus P2B (bios 1011);16MB G200 Mystique 5.52,2.6; 12MB CL Voodoo2;CL SB Live Full(LW3.0); ViewSonic 17PS-2; 10GB Maxtor 7200RPM UDMA2;3.2GB Quantum FB ST UDMA2;CL 2X Encore DVD-ROM kit;USR 5686 External Sportster V.90;Win98 SP1;DirectX 7.0a;IE5.01 etc.

Comment

Working...
        X