Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G400 and 32-bit problems

Folks,

A couple minor issues with the G400, maybe some of you have some ideas.

1. There's something wrong with 32-bit. Glaze (the benchmark/demo) doesn't show ANYTHING, and says I have a 16-bit Z-Buffer, although I have my Z-Buffer set to 32-bit. Also, if I set games to 32-bit (like Dungeon Keeper 2) I am missing text and other effects. What gives?

2. OpenGL isn't accelerating the screensavers. I installed the OpenGL SDK, no help.

Any ideas?

- Gurm

P.S. P3-550 on Abit BX6v2, 256MB RAM, non-overclocked, drivers version 5.13.20 (new Win9x release) on Win98se.

The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

1- Good point, for some reason it only runs in 1280x1024 in both 16 or 32-bit, we're looking into it.
    2- How do you tell if it's accelerated or not?
    3- For Dungeon Keeper 2, if you look at the readme.txt that it comes with, it states the game does have issues in 32-bit which is why it wasn't properly implemented, so expect to have same problems with any other cards with the registry hack,

Regards,

------------------
    "The opinions or comments expressed by me do not necessary reflect those of Matrox Graphics Inc."

"The opinions or comments expressed by me do not necessary reflect those of Matrox Graphics Inc."

Comment

Glaze - Yes, I kicked the resolution up to 1280 and it works! yay!

A clarification - in 24bpp mode, Glaze runs in all resolutions... at about 4fps. However it reports a 32bit depth buffer. In 32-bit mode (or 16-bit mode) it runs just fine (at 1280 if you want to SEE it) but reports a 16-bit depth buffer.

Screen Savers - The MS OpenGL screen savers, when accelerated, FLY. I mean 100fps fly. Even on poor little accelerators like the i740 or the Rage Pro. It's EASY to tell when they're running in software mode. And boy are they ever.

Dungeon Keeper 2 - The readme says there would be a performance hit, not missing graphics. For the record, 32-bit mode works fine on:

Rage 128
      TNT
      TNT2
      G200

Hmm... any other suggestions welcomed. Should I have the "use 32bit z buffer" checked in my display properties? What should my desktop be set to (24-bit is working not so good so I have it set to 32bit). Should I use the 5.13.20 drivers, or what came on the CD?

Thanks for your help.

- Gurm
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

Actually anything you run in 24bp won't be 3D accelerated, which is why Glaze ran so slow, it was in software
        I'll investigate the screensavers and DK2 issues, will keep you updated,

Regards,

------------------

Comment

Thanks a bunch Rom. Or is that R0m? Hehe.

Anyway, I presume you are a tester or something? Or are ya just a mighty user? Hehe. Wow, I'm in a silly mood. These forums get a bit silly at times, but very good really.

- Gurm

P.S. 24-bit is unaccelerated? Wow, funky.

Comment

Nah not a tester, someone higher but doesn't matter, just think of me as your pal
            Ok on to the screensavers, i just put them up on a TNT 2 and they ran the same speed as G400, which screensaver in particular are you referring to. I got an engineer looking into it, it would be helpful to point out how to tell if it is or not. Yes, 24bpp is not accelerated, no D3D and no OpenGL. Why do you think there is no 24bpp on a TNT/TNT2?

It's R0M with a zero in the middle so don't let the font fool you

Thanks,

------------------

Comment

The screen savers are broken on many different cards. That's not a big deal. The problem there (or so I recall) is that they use D3D to make the screen mode changes, but OpenGL to accelerate the graphics, and many ICD's have a problem with it. Currently neither the ATI Rage 128 or the TNT/TNT2 accelerate those screen savers (although for a while Creative's TNT did, I don't know if it does any more).

Ultra-compatible cards do it though... like the Permedia2,Permedia3,i740, etc.

Other questions - is depth buffer the same as z buffer? If so, why isn't the 32-bit z buffer working even though I turned it on? If not, nevermind... hehe.

Also... hrmm... that's it. All my other games run just fine. Total Annihilation: Kingdoms even runs at 1024x768x32bpp with full effects. Fog is really neato.

- Gurm

Comment

32-bit z-buffer... doesn't work... according to tom. Read his review. http://www.tomshardware.com/releases/99q2/990628/index.html

Comment

Yes, I had heard some time ago that 32-bit z-buffering was broken, I thought it had been fixed in PD5 but it appears not. R0m, Haig - any ideas when that'll be fixed?

- Gurm

Comment

Working...
                  X