G200 and Sin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G200 and Sin

I am having problems running Sin in OpenGL mode on my PC. I am experiencing the same type of texture corruption in Half-Life, but it works okay otherwise (D3D is fine).

When I configure Sin to use the Default OpenGL driver it goes to the console and at the bottom it says "Server Killed". The Open GL just doesn't seem to initialize.

Sin works okay in software rendering mode and it runs on my old Pentium 200 with an old Voodoo card.

Ritual had at one time promised a D3D patch, but it hasn't materialized. I have tried all versions of Sin up to and including 1.05 to no avail.

Any additional information would be great since Activision/Ritual have been absolutely no help!

------------------
    /Chris

Since none of the gods of MURC have answered you, I will give you the short answer.

SiN sucks.

Even after a bloated FULL install with all the patches they have released, the game still takes ages to load.

It is just poorly programmed in my opinion.
    A newer game like Aliens versus' Predator take less than half the time to load and takes up only half the space on my hard disk drive, even with a full install.

Keep plugging away. It will run, if you fool around with it enough. Try 640x480 Default OpenGL. I used to have lots of problems with SiN at any resolutions higher than that.

Let us know how you go.

Comment

Hi Chris

That´s strange... I don´t have the game, but the demo works flawless to me... Try setting the Textures to auto, I have it in that setting and haven´t seen any texture corruption.

Comment

I have the full version, running on a Millenium G200 at 1024X768. I could not run it before using the 5.13 drivers, nor HL (which I now have running at 1152X864 in OGL and D3D). So it is possible. See my system specs below. As far as SiN goes, I have 16-bit textures enabled, so that's maybe not it.

Is the Voodoo on the same board as the G200? Try removing it...I had a V2 (still do, but now I don't have to use it ) and I noticed that it tended to take over any game display even if I tried to change the settings.

And just for the record...you **did** follow the uninstall and install protocols here and on Matrox's site, right? And you've upgraded your bios and all that...? What *are* your system specs, anyway?

You *could* also uninstall and reinstall SiN, preferably with only the G200 installed...

Maybe it's the new 3DNow optimizations, but the level loading is now quite zippy, actually (to my surprise). Playing the demo or any previous patched version (with the V2) did have insanely long loads. I do admit that the way they have loading set up remains very noticeable...

Good luck, Chris...keep us posted on your progress. Since this is the first time I can really *play* SiN, I'll be using it for a while, so I'll hang around if I can help...

------------------
        Holly
        Who just *likes* SiN, dammit, no matter what the reviewers say! and who spent the long weekend successfully configuring her roomie's new (in a way) K6-266 (be quiet, she doesn't play games! well, not like Half-Life, anyway) so she could reclaim her: Soyo 5EMA, K6-2 333 not o/c, 256MB PC100 , Millennium G200 8MB SGRAM, Win98. And who's saving up for that G400/Athlon rig (drool,pant, drool... )

[This message has been edited by motub (edited 07-06-99).]
        Holly

"All we need is a voluntary, free-spirited, open ended program of procreative racial deconstruction."
        -Jay Bulworth

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

I don't have a Voodoo 1 in this system (it's in my Pentium 200MMX).

My current system is a 333MHz Pentium II (not oc'ed) on an Asus P2L97. I have a Mystique G200 with 8MB and 128MB RAM in total.

I think I may have had Sin running on it in OpenGL at one time with one of the betas, but I can't remember.

Like you, I find Sin pretty fun... it's technically inferior to Half-Life, but still lots of laughs. I think it's to Half-Life what Duke 3D was to Quake.

I have re-installed Sin more times than I care to remember and yes I followed the uninstall procedure recommended on murc. I still could have missed something.

I am using Windows 98 SE.

A friend of mine has a system with an i740 and we tried installing Sin. It does exactly the same thing in GL mode! Once again the 740 runs Sin is software mode and has no problem with half-life and quake 2 other than not being the speediest video card in the universe.

------------------
          /Chris

Comment

Okay, Sin now works for me.

The difference? I used Matrox's uninstaller, rebooted (twice actually) and then re-installed the 5.13 drivers.

Sin works like a charm at 800x600. I HAD previously followed guidelines for removing old Matrox 4.51 drivers, files and registry entries, but I suspect I missed something left over from the beta 2 ICD.

I checked half-Life, and it still has some texture problems in OpenGL (none in Direct3D).

/Chris

Comment

Opps

I don't hate SiN, I think it is funny too.

It is just a pain in the arse to get to run right. It also runs like a dog, I have never seen a game do so much swapping to hard disk in all my life.
              As you said Half Life is a technically superior game in every way.

Hope that clarifies a few things.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
              X