Kruzin - Tribes OGL?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kruzin - Tribes OGL?

I know you mentioned this before so I figured I'd ask you - can you get OGL to work w/ Tribes? and is it worth it??

I installed the new drivers, no problems at all, but when I switched Tribes to OGL mode, I clicked APPLY and it just sat there w/ a black screen. It didn't freeze thought, I just hit alt-enter to change to windowed mode and it was fine again.

I honestly have no problem playing in software mode (runs smooth at 1024, suprisingly), but I wanted to see if it could be better!!

If it's not even worth the effort let me know that too!!! Thanks!!!

I think it's worth it.
    OGL looks much better than software.
    The latest drivers do work with OGL, but the games implimentation still leaves quite a bit to be desired. Supposedly Sierra is gonna fix it with a patch.

I found the best way to switch video modes with Tribes is to alt+enter to get the game in a window, make whatever changes I need, then maximize it again...

Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

OK, well maybe I did something wrong then...

Q&A time:

1. Are you running in the same res as your desktop, or switching?

2. On the Fullscreen dropdown, does it say something like (Matrox OpenGl 16-bit)? Don't remember exact, but it was similar to that.

3. On the OPEN GL dropdown, I set it to Default. The only other choices were TNT and Glide. Did you do the same?

How is it performance wise?? Visually I'm sure it's better...

Thanks!!

Have to put in the updated sig too:

------------------
      FIC VA503+ (1.1a, 1.15JK33), K6-2 450, Marvel G200 (5.13, 2.3, 1.21 vid tools that don't work w/ 5.13!!), 128MB PC100, PCI SCSI Adapter, SB Live Value, USR Sportster 56K, Win98, no O/C

Comment

1. Not playing at the same res. Desktop is at 1280x1024, Tribes at 800x600 or 1024x768 (depends on which machine- g200/g400)

2.I'll have to check...don't recall seeing such a message.

3.Choose the I740 GL option.

4.Perfomance wise, it's playable, but not great (I think it's better than software though). I am still hoping Sierra's next patch will address OGL in the game....
        Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Oh, right I740 not TNT... Must have been thinking of Q3 (or 2??) I tried a bunch of things after I installed it and forgot which was which.

That must be my problem. I'll try the I740 setting tonight, rather than default.

Comment

While I have you here.. I have a different question for you, since you have an SB Live (and I think a similar system to mine, if memory serves...)

Since the new version of SB Live drivers (BC00) when I am in certain games, sometimes all the colors get washed out if I move the mouse to the top of the screen (where the SB Live dropdown menu is) I have to ALT-TAB back to windows, and swich back again to get it to return to normal. The only way to avoid this is to close the DropDown menu.

Have you had any similar problems?

Comment

I haven't had that problem...I never use that menu bar (first thing I turmed off).
              If it has an "always on top" option, try turning that off...

Comment

acobra,

I've seen similar problems when running my desktop in 32bit and then running my games in 16bit. I also have a SBLive!

Dave
                Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Follow up:

I turned off the SB Live Menu, cause I never used it anyway... Don't know why I was keeping it up there.

I first tried Tribes OGL w/ i740 mode in 1024 and had the same results as before, totally blank screen (but no lockups)

Then I tried it in 640x480 and it worked, but it was realllly slow, and the horizion and ground were like "segmented" into rectangles. In other words there were lines all over the place. I switched back to default OGL and it actually does work in 640x480, so I tried that. Same lines all over the place and the performance is equal or a little slower than Software mode.

I did try some of the weapons and the explosions do look much better, but I guess I'll just stick with Software mode til 1.6 comes out.

Thanks!!

Comment

From what I've heard, those lines on the ground are a known issue for all cards with Tribes OGL.

Personally, I've put Tribes aside until they fix it (much like Unreal). TFC is what fills my gaming needs these days (and it rocks with 5.13 on the G200)

Comment

Working...
                    X