G400 OpenGL performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G400 OpenGL performance

Hi guys! Did you see the benchmarks for G400 performance in OpenGL... While it balzes with bright light in HiRes ( over 1024x768 ) it does surprisingly slow in 640x480 & 800x600... I understand the tests were run on beta drivers, but can we expect some improvement with the official release ?

------------------

Hi Wojson,

which review are you referrin to ?

------------------
    Cheers,
    Maggi

Not too slow running Asus, Intel & Matrox based system ...
    Heavily boosted by the Millenium G400 32MB SGRAM DualHead

Comment

To those placed on Matrox Users resource Centre a copa weeks ago... G400 vs. TNT2 ( Hercules ) and V3... Or to those :
      http://www.murc.ws/reviews/MillenniumG400/MoreG400Review05.html - it is on TNT ( first one! ) level... But I hope Matrox can deal with the OGL drivers and we'll see G400's real worth soon !!!

------------------

Comment

Or check those :
        http://www.ga-source.com/hardware/reviews/G400max-review.shtml

------------------

Comment

I guess the real question is does it really matter?
          If so, why?
          Nothing will be played at those resolutions any more. 1152x864x32 bit is the lowest res I use for any of the OGL games I've tried. This includes Q2 (16x12x32), Q3(1152x864x32), HL/TFC (12x10x32). What else is there that runs OGL? Tribes. It's OGL sucks, and we're waiting for the game itself to be patched. Unreal/UT? They're heading down the D3D road at this point. I just can't seem to get concerned about the cards low res OGL performance...

------------------
          P2-350(@103*4=412), Asus P2B(1009), 128meg PC100, MillG400 32meg(PD5.20.???), CL SB Live!Value, CL PC-DVD, Mitsumi CD-R, WD UDMA 8.4&6.4 gig, (2)USR 56k(multilinked), 3Com 905B-TX, etc...

Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Hmmm... You seem to be right to a point, but when you said OGL sux, I came to think you never did any coding yourself... And OGL does look better than D3D ! It was developed by really cool guys in SGI with quality in mind...

------------------

Comment

Re-read my post- I said TRIBES OGL sux. It's a known issue with that particular game, that Sierra says they're gonna fix.

I'm not a coder, but I know about SGI and OGL. I agree that in some instances it looks better. But when you've seen the G400s D3D (read EMBM)in action, you will agree that is changing...

But that's neither here nor there. The point is I can't see a gaming use for low res OGL the way this card performs at higher res.
              Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

You got a point here... I cannot disagree... But I am really curious if Matrox can cope with OGL drivers, since it looks to be the weakest point here ( same with 3Dfx )... But I'm gonna buy G400MAX no matter what, anyway :^))) Just can't wait !

------------------

Comment

Hi Wojson,

now that I know your referrence:

yes, they drivers have improved

------------------
                  Cheers,
                  Maggi

Comment

Now that's a good news ! Thanks !

------------------

Comment

Ah Kruzin, but what about those OGL gamers whose monitors don't do >1024x768? Still a lot of those cheapo (no offence) 15" monitors out there that max out at 1024x768 at 60Hz.

Bad enough that to upgrade to a Max will set you back a few bob but to fork a few hundred to upgrade your monitor to get the best out of the new graphics card is a bit off.

Cheers

Comment

Ah, but in theory, at 1024x768 and under, current cards like the g200/TNT can handle that. Almost begs the question - why upgrade?

Hmmm, I'm gonna get shouted at....

OK, OK, bump mapping and Dual Head. I see your point. There's is no reason then for someone who's screen cannot do over 1024 to get anything but a G400 then?

I've just answered myself - there I go, talking to myself again!
                        OGL needs to be sorted, I agree. I'll shut up now. Just ignore me!

------------------
                        Cheers,
                        Steve

Using dodgy beta stuff in not that bad a PC with all sorts of bits n bobs in it helping to find ET calling home...

Comment

Opus,

I know exactly what you mean. I have a 17" monitor that maxes out at 1024*768. It's pretty frustrating seeing these screenshots taken at 1600*1200.

When I bought the monitor (NEC XV17) I paid $800. At that time 21" monitors were ridiculously priced, and 19" monitors didn't exist.

Now, on the other hand, I can get a very nice 19" monitor for half what I paid for my 17". Resolutions all the way up to 1600*1200 baby!!! The only reason I never upgraded earlier was I never needed one. With these new video cards having playable framerates at crazy resolutions I just may have the nudge I needed.

It's funny, but that's the way of progress. If we stuck with what worked; I'd still be playing on my Commodore 64 hooked up to my TV. Amazing how fast technology advances. It won't be long before we'll be playing on desktop computers that fit in a notebook form factor, with 21" LCD flat screens.

Comment

Hi Guys,

My 17" CTX VL710T says via PnP 1600x1200@75 Hz ...

The G400 gives me up to 1920x1440@60Hz

It's surely hard to read the icon's text, but hey sooooo much room, it's kinda ridiculous

PLUS:
                            I use my old Amiga VGA Multisync monitor on the DualHead, offering me additional 800x600 (that's where my 10 year old mon maxes out ...)

------------------
                            Cheers,
                            Maggi

Comment

I don't see the need to upgrade to a G400 if your monitor only supports 1024x768x60Hz. Ouch! I'd rather stare at the sun with binoculars than look at a refresh of 60Hz. I think if you don't have a quality monitor than you should NOT get a G400. What's the point of having a really good video card if you can't see how awesome it can look? The way I see it, there are 3 things here:

1. If you need OpenGL, then you probably already have a large monitor. Please don't tell me you NEED OpenGL for games in almost all cases, you don't need OpenGL to play them.

2. If you need quality, then you probably already have a large monitor.

3. If you play games only, you either have a very low budget and therefore the G400 wouldn't scale anyway and you probably have a small cheap monitor so it would be beneficial to buy a TNT2.

Dave
                              Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Working...
                              X