Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V3 3000 - Please, don't think less of me

if that's at all possible

yep, you read correctly, my previously proud Matrox box is now a Voodoo3 equiped quakin' machine. Don't get me wrong, I'm not tossing over having a V3, I know about all the image quality issues, but I will stand to defend 3dfx's product.

For those who are wondering, my G200 and the 12MB V2 that previously sat along side it, now reside in my machine at work (which also happens to be the same K6-2 rig I had at home when I first started posting here!). So you can see, I haven't defected totally, I'm still very much a Matrox fan, but who could turn down the opportunity to swap what I before mentioned for a V3 3000!

ALBPM had a Screenshot comparrison thread going at one stage, and he was hanging out for my V3 shots, which I now have, so Paul, revive that thread matey [i](let's hope it wasn't in the hardware forum!), I've got plenty of screenies for ya!

The framerates from the beta ICD drivers are interesting. All framerates are @ 1024x768 with VSync ON and the desktop at 32bit (yeah yeah)

Quake 2:
    demo1 66.1fps
    demo2 66.4fps
    massive1 57.4fps
    crusher 41.0fps

Quake 3 Test 1.05:
    q3test1 42.3fps

I should really format before I post any more, coz I've got 3 different sets of GL drivers installed on my box and all sorts of other crap lying around eating up CPU cycles. I don't think the figures are too bad considering that they're beta drivers though.

------------------
    Celeron 300A @ 464, BH6(KG), 128MB Corsair CAS2 PC100, Voodoo3 3000 (166), SBLive!Value, 4.3GB + 8.4GB Fireball CRs, 10Mb Netgear NIC, Internal ZIP100, Sidewinder Freestyle Pro
    Agent. Copyright © 1998-99 Agent. All rights reserved.

Any particular reason you went w/a V3000? I'd think with a Celery you'd go with something with more features (TNT2, Savage4, etc.) that's currently shipping, or wait for a G400/G400MAX to ship.

I know 3dfx still hasn't got an ICD either, but seems to have good performance miniGL drivers.

You say swap...you get it in a straight across deal? I'd do that too.

Todd

Comment

nice FPS rates , but wait till I post my with G400MAX.... then...?

I was a 3dfx user but..16bit rendering only ?...nothing for me...Il bet that G400MAX can make the same FPS rate or more in 32bit rendering...

greetings from Croatian MATROX user....

Comment

tohoward, yeah, it was a straight swap, and I couldn't say no to that =)

V3 3000 offered the best performance for the $$$ given that it was going to be placed on various hardware platforms (ie, a P3 300 and a K6-2). G400's and TnT2s as you no doubt are aware, aren't particularly scalable, which makes them a bad choice for an organisation who doesn't have off the shelf machines. =)

Spider, I'll probably ditch it for an NV10 when they come out, or a 3dfx 'Napalm', on board geometry processing is the next phase, when they hit the shelves, you'll be spewing you spent the dosh on the G400, no offence to anyone who has already bought one.

Despite the seemingly steady Q3A framerate, I actually found it too slow to play at that res, I'm back at 800x600 until 3dfx releases some new drivers... quake2, TOCA2 and everything else that can handle the high res run like a dream!

Comment

AFAIK the G400 is VERY scalable. Not amazing on 'slower' machines, but really does speed up with a better CPU... I will admit that you've taken the correct choice there if you're not planning to upgrade your CPU anytime soon.

------------------
          Cheers,
          Steve

Using dodgy beta stuff in not that bad a PC with all sorts of bits n bobs in it helping to find ET calling home...

Comment

see, mee smart!!!

Comment

Hi Agent,

nice to see you back here

One little question:
              You pointed out your desktop was set to 32bpp ... do you think therefore the 3D screen is in true-color too ?
              I doubt that ...

A little note on Steves comment:

The regular G400 runs very impressive on my OC'ed Celery ...

Surely not as fast as on a P3, but faster than a couple of benchmarks that Ant posted earlier using a P2-450 and way ahead of those K6 results

We'll see how good the final drivers will be and then we'll compare our FPS ... ok ?

------------------
              Cheers,
              Maggi

Not too slow running Asus, Intel & Matrox based system ...
              Heavily boosted by the Millenium G400 32MB SGRAM DualHead

Comment

No, I know Voodoo cant' render at 32bit, but what get's me, is when I fire up Quake2 or Q3A, there is no mode switching, it just opens up the program, I've never seen a video card do that before, normally it blanks out the monitor for a split second, V3 doesn't do that, which I find strange.

I tried setting the desktop to 16bit and then running the benches again, but it had no impact, so it obviously uses two seperate engines which don't require any mode switching.

------------------
                Celeron 300A @ 464, BH6(KG), 128MB Corsair CAS2 PC100, Voodoo3 3000 (166), SBLive!Value, 4.3GB + 8.4GB Fireball CRs, 10Mb Netgear NIC, Internal ZIP100, Sidewinder Freestyle Pro

Comment

Interesting ...

thanx for feedback

------------------
                  Cheers,
                  Maggi

Not too slow running Asus, Intel & Matrox based system ...
                  Heavily boosted by the Millenium G400 32MB SGRAM DualHead

Comment

Working...
                  X