Weird Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird Problem

The night before last my system started locking up.
    ABIT BX-133, P3-800@1064MHz, 256MB Mushkin PC150 HSDRAM.

Twice now it has given a single continuous Beep until reset.

I have moved the DIMMs around and the only thing that works is to put 1 DIMM in the middle of the three DIMM slots which I haven't used. Doesn't seem to be bad memory because I tried some other 128MB DIMMs and they would only work in the middle of the three DIMM slots.

Also I have dropped the FSB to 110 from 133 and the core voltage from 1.85v to 1.70v to get the system to run without locking up. It does not appear to be heat since my peltier is working just fine. At 110MHz FSB and 1.7v the processor temp is down to 5-6 degC.

I still need to re-seat the rest of my cards and processor but it kind of looks like my mobo may be dying a slow death here.

Any other ideas out there.

Paul
    "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Yes, I cleaned them all before moving and swaping DIMMs.

Paul
    "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

From all I could find regarding Beep Codes I have a Memory problem or a short on the mobo.

My memory seems fine so maybe I have a short in one of my DIMM slots.

Paul

Comment

Maybe this is stupid, but did you clean the RAM slots, too?

AZ
        There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

plug it in

Say Pauly, isn't it interesting that I had the exact same long beep after each windows reboot ?

Even a reset wouldn't revive it. Only a complete powerdown made it come back to life.

It started right after I inserted a new card and guess, what ... it wasn't seated properly ... DOH !

Now it is and it didn't happen again.

I'll feel like a newbie again ...

Cheers,
          Maggi
          Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
          Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
          be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
          4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
          2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
          OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
          4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
          Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
          Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
          LG BH10LS38
          LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

hopefully, if it is your motherboard, it doesn't take anything with it when it finally gasps it's last. Just a thought I had.
            AMD XP2100+, 512megs DDR333, ATI Radeon 8500, some other stuff.

Comment

Well, I'm up and running again and this is one of those X Files....LOL

I've been overclocking my processor and using a 78 watt peltier to keep it cool. I assembled this rig back in September and haven't taken it apart since.

Now that it's hot we're running an evaporative air conditioner (Swamp Cooler) to cool the house. Our rainy season just started so these two things have combined to make it rather humid inside.

Well, the continous beeping error code normally means DRAM not detected or a short on the mother board. I guess it can also mean that there is no processor detected....LOL
              I get the same beep code if I remove the processor and boot up.

Upon close examination I found some moisture was getting into the pins on the socket and shorting things out a bit. So, from now on I must make sure I really pack the dielectric grease into the pin holes on the socket and re-apply every couple of months.

I ended up getting an ASUS CUSL2-C mobo to replace the ABIT BX-133 that I thought was bad. Turns out the P3-800 is fine and so is the BX-133 mobo. Oh well, it was time for an upgrade....LOL

I also found out that the 2nd power supply that I installed for the Peltier and heat sink fan may be going bad. I had connected one of my hard drives to it while swapping things around and the hard drive was not detected. I think this power supply is going out prematurely because I did not have any 5v devices connected to it. I heard it's not good to only power 12v devices with a stepping power supply. For some reason (let the electronics experts answer) it shortens the life of power supplies.

Paul

Comment

That would be a linear power supply is best for pelts, Paul

Use neoprene for a gasket material and you won't have to repack the pins every so many months.

(I'm not going to comment on you're "packing grease"! LOL
                "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

DOH!!!!!!

I do use neoprene inside and around the outside of the socket. Also have it surrounding the Peltier and cold plate.

But, I guess if it is humid enough the condensation will find the smalest air gaps and cause problems.

Paul

Comment

Looks like you need a dehumidifier in the case as well
                    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

eYuppers! Hey Paul that'll be a first, sure to get front page on [H]OCP!
                      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

Comment

Yah, Paul!

Get a pound of that silicate stuff they put in shoes and hard drive boxes.....and just throw it in there

Rags
                        Last edited by Rags; 4 July 2001, 09:51.

Comment

You could build a de-humidifier out of a plastic pan and another Peltier and HS
                          chuck
                          Chuck
                          秋音的爸爸

Comment

or he could make a heatshield for the entire assembly, just like those used in evaporation type coolers by the likes of ASE Tech and Kyrogen.

Also increasing the amount of insulation would help prevent condensate from forming. This could be made out of polystyrene foam, placed on top of the neoprene. It has a much greater R rating.

Comment

Working...
                            X