weird problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• weird problem

I've got a very weird problem... well it's not that much of a problem really, but I really don't understand what's going on:

I recently bought a new PSU, i.e. an Aopen 250 Watt ATX one, and got rid of my old 230 Watt ATX PSU, which had a dirty fan which was a bit noisy.. and because of some deal I could get the brand new AOpen PSU for the same momey that it would cost me to switch the fan in my old PSU.

The AOpen PSU has something called 'noise killer', which I assume is a temperature feedback system that will let the fan in the PSU run faster when temperature is rising past a certain trigger temperature, etc.

The weird part is that I can hear my PSU's fan speed up when I use 100% CPU Time, like when scrolling a webpage with pictures in IE5, etc.

It will speed up _instantly_ when the CPU is at 100%.. no delay or anything at all... and as soon as the cpu time drops to sub 50 percent the fan immediately spins to a lower speed.... HOW ON EARTH CAN THIS HAPPEN!??!?!? (btw. I don't have a temp sensor in my case that senses my CPU's temp... just one for case temp and one for the BX northbridge temp).
    I didn't know that the mainboard could provide feedback information to the PSU about CPU usage or anything at all untill now.. (at least that's all I can think of that is causing the PSU to change fan speed immediately according to CPU usage)..... does anyone have even the slightest clue what is going on???????

Maybe it's not the PSU's fan you hear but your CPU's fan, which could have a built-in temperature sensor which would make it speed up

AZ
    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

It might be current sensing or something like that. When the CPU goes to 100% it draws a lot more current, forcing the PSU to work harder and thus speed the fan up to keep cool.

Comment

Chalk up another vote for built-in ampmeter.
        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

My puter does the same thing ... at first i thought i was imagining things ... but i can hear it ... dont know if its the CPU fan or the PSU fan. Nevertheless A fan speeds up/down ...
          Seth, are you ok? I`m peachy Kate. The world is my oyster. - Seth Gecko

Comment

Current sensor
            [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
            Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
            Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
            Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
            Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

@Denty Yes, ie voltage drop across a shunt fed into a comparator and outputed (akin to "shotputed" hehe) to the fan.
              "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
              X